Weedy 'Family Fishing Lakes'

Rod Bender

Weedy 'Family Fishing Lakes'

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Lake Victoria here in Shepparton has been stocked with Rainbow Trout Yellas and now Murray Cod! I fished it a couple times last year for one small trout. There are some very good redfin in there as well and I am going to check it out soon to see if it has potential for me to drag a 'Bender's Redfin Challenge' winning 'horse' of a redfin out of it. The reason I want to 'check it out' is I have heard some reports lately that it is hard to fish from the shore due to large amounts of weed. There were some weedy areas when I went last and I wonder if they have just taken over! Are a lot of stocked lakes affected by weed? I seem to read articles which state weed problems in different locations. Do people successfully fish with bait in weedy water? I fish with lures and whilst I know you can get weed resistant soft plastic hooks, I just think it will be mission impossible to get any size fish out of them using 4lb mono that I use.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

netmaker

Re: Weedy 'Family Fishing Lakes'

Post by netmaker » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi Jim,yes weedy areas can be bait fished,you just have to find that gap.The gap does not have to be that big,i'm talking bread & butter plate size.So long as you can get your bait in there your in with a chance.Talking of the shepp lake i need to have a chat to you about that,cheer's Murph.....
3p's will catch you fish,patients,perserverence,persistance....

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi Jim, I have successfully fished weedy lakes but it is a pain in the ass, I just cast out and let it hit the bottom but I do not reel any line in, I just close the bail arm and leave the line slack, then if you get a fish it's just a matter off hoping that you are able to extract the fish. then there is the option of fishing with surface lures I suppose.
Cheers

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:51 pm

Hey Jim, you could try the old trick used by the blokes who used to look after the small english trout streams. An old rake head on a rope, cast out as far as poss, pull back along the bottom. Exercise and fishing in one...

Return to “Family Fishing Lakes”