Carp in Lilydale lake?????

boosta

Re: Carp in Lilydale lake?????

Post by boosta » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:55 pm

I saw it drained last year and I think it would be lucky to be 3m in the deepest spot.

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:00 pm

boosta wrote:I saw it drained last year and I think it would be lucky to be 3m in the deepest spot.
thats pretty shallow! was there any dead fish around when it was drained and could you walk out onto the lake bed?

boosta

Post by boosta » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:24 pm

Couldn't see any dead ones. And it was too muddy to go walking in.

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:31 pm

boosta wrote:Couldn't see any dead ones. And it was too muddy to go walking in.
ah i see, was funny aparently that weed they were chasing was nowhere near as bad as they expected so they basically drained it for nothing...
by the looks of pictures of that weed they tried to clean out it is identicle to common weed that u can buy at an Aquarium/pet shop to put in a fish tank, and it doubles in grows within a month....

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:20 am

I saw it drained and took a couple of pics. Did post one on a thread here but can't seem to find it now. Anyway - yes it is shallow overall. Deepest part is by the dam wall, and there is a channel coming from the park side of the lake heading towards the out flow. Most of the bottom is very muddy, with more rocks the closer you get to the wall. No sign of "reefs" or any sort of submerged structure.

Drifta-X

Post by Drifta-X » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:36 am

The deepest spot is a hole of a out 5m from memory and is at the far end.
If you walk the length of the stone wall
Starting at the spill way heading towards swinbourne, one you past the last island the hole is half way between where u stand to the other side.
Could have been deeper but can't remember as it been a while since I had my yak in there.
I love using fish finders in the suburban lakes, gives you more info then you could get any other way
And stupid stink boats can't come hahahaha .

You where able to see the old creek bed there too when was empty,
At the spill way it's been formed well with boulders and not the best spot to cast a running sinker rig as u get snagged 99% in that tiny spot.

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:21 am

Drifta-X wrote:The deepest spot is a hole of a out 5m from memory and is at the far end.
If you walk the length of the stone wall
Starting at the spill way heading towards swinbourne, one you past the last island the hole is half way between where u stand to the other side.
Could have been deeper but can't remember as it been a while since I had my yak in there.
I love using fish finders in the suburban lakes, gives you more info then you could get any other way
And stupid stink boats can't come hahahaha .

You where able to see the old creek bed there too when was empty,
At the spill way it's been formed well with boulders and not the best spot to cast a running sinker rig as u get snagged 99% in that tiny spot.
ah yeah, ive often thought that far end was deepest, and i did eventually find 1 larger photo of it drained around that outlet into olinda creek, think it was still being drained
interesting they left the old creek bed intact , i thought they would have gone even deeper, i guess even with the lake empty that would still sllow some flow through to the other side, just a shame i didnt see it.
ive often thought of getting someone to Sound up rowville lakes, both to look for fish and find out how deep it is a bloke i know fished there years ago rekoned rowville was quite deep and that there was a submerged bulldozer that got stuck in the big lake when they were building it and they left it there.. think its abit of a story myself but lol

Jake420

Post by Jake420 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:08 am

I've heard the same story about the bulldozer and the same guy went on to say the main lake is a spring and really deep he was saying over 20m but I do doubt it
The Dirty Oar

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:43 am

Jake420 wrote:I've heard the same story about the bulldozer and the same guy went on to say the main lake is a spring and really deep he was saying over 20m but I do doubt it
wasnt a white haired chubby english bloke called Johnny was it? lol

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:52 am

Have to say I have my doubts that the Rowville lakes are particularly deep. I am willing to stand corrected, but if you look at the rise and fall of the land around it the geography does not indicate it would be overly deep.
As for a bulldozer being submerged there......at the cost of that sort of equipment i could not see any company or council leaving one to be submerged.
Again willing to stand corrected.

Return to “Family Fishing Lakes”