Karkarook Park

Drifta-X

Re: Kakarook Park

Post by Drifta-X » Fri May 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Kark is the best suburban fishing lake melbourne has to offer.
Not once have I doe-nutted there,
But mind u I just use the yak and cut laps.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri May 03, 2013 8:25 pm

hey drifta. i know you can yak there in your 4m yak. how would one using a 3m tinny there? access is fine but dont wanna cop a fine.

Drifta-X

Post by Drifta-X » Fri May 03, 2013 8:44 pm

U can borrow my paddle or my 18lb watersnake if ya got a battery.
Wouldn't have a problem as far as depth goes as it an old quarry it has very steep banks.
Only shallow patch is the nth west corner.
Middle is 12m deep from memory, been a while since I was last there.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri May 03, 2013 8:49 pm

thanks for the offer mate. i mean down the track when i get the motor. my brother in law is a bit of a pussy one could say. un-natural fear of sharks. my theory is kark park would be a good place to go for a bit of a cruise and fish as its so close to home

Drifta-X

Post by Drifta-X » Fri May 03, 2013 9:00 pm

Um maybe not sure.
Just get the 275$ yak that's on vyak
Would be easier.

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:21 pm

went to karkarook today, few people around fishing, all land based... didnt get onto any fish, tried some SP's and some trout Dough along the western bank near the small pier with no luck.
recently bought a fly rod combo, was going to practice casting it but too many people around so didnt want to embarass myself more .... lol

Bluegroper

Post by Bluegroper » Sun May 19, 2013 8:51 pm

rixter wrote:
ChrisTaylor wrote:Any reason why newly stocked trout take a while to warm up to lures? Is it because they're (I'm guessing) raised on a diet of processed pellets?
Yep ;)
Cheers , Rick
Ricks right sorry about the long winded story but it should make sense if you read it.

Part of my course was aquaculture and we had to grow trout (browns and rainbows). We started of with baby fish which we called fingerlings 3-4inch as they were the size of your finger. Within 8mths the fish were all 3lbs-8lbs. They were always fed a floating pellet as there was less waste and you knew when to stop feeding the fish eg when they stopped eating. This is why the floating trout nuggets eg(powerbait) work so well. The fish are only very young compared to wild trout that is 3-8lbs and they rarely encounter insects let alone a lure that resembles a small fish, bug, etc in the hatcheries due to the fact that many are enclosed to keep heat in. By keeping heat in, the fishes metabolism works at higher rate meaning they need to eat more therefore growing larger. They also use circulating pumps so that the fish are constantly swimming which plays significant part as well. Swim, eat, poo!

I have heard from one of my friends that fishes here that he has seen a guy catch plenty of fish using nothing but a tiny piece of cork he has glue to a tiny mudeye hook he has painted black. The cork floats and looks like similar to their dark hatchery pellets.

After a while of being in a system fish will adapt and start to try different things.

Geoff

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu May 23, 2013 7:47 pm

You can trick those trout into eating power bait, the stockies. I know a bloke who got some trout pellets, crushed them up and mixed a small amount in with the power bait. I tried doing the same with goldfish food flakes. Got just 1/4 of a teaspoon of it, too much and the powerbait goes crumbly, crushed it to powder, mixed it in. Caught a nice brown on it. Works, dead set.

Nitro

Re: Karkarook Park

Post by Nitro » Fri May 24, 2013 7:49 pm

G,day Rixter. Have you ever caught a redfin on a dough bait or similar of any kind. Iv tried but never caught one on it. Looked on a couple of English sites hoping to find something they used but didn't find any.

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Karkarook Park

Post by sasquatch972 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:55 pm

had a go at karkarook again today, just going after some redfin with SP's. there were a few fishos out there and one guy caught a couple of little redfin but didnt see anyone else catch anything.
didnt see much surface activity there myself today either.
might practice some fly casting there next week.

Return to “Family Fishing Lakes”