Re: Rowville lakes

Post by Scraglor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Well that is promising :) thanks for the confidence poodoo

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:47 pm

poodoo wrote:
Rod Bender wrote:
Scraglor wrote:.........................................................................................................................................
One of the locals reckons the trout die each year due to High water temp so I havent spent a lot of time there lately. Would be very interested to hear what someone with more knowledge than me thinks about that statement
I'm not sure what the lake is like but if it is shallow, I have no doubt the trout may struggle to survive a hot summer. Some people say that they release stocked trout to catch again another day. Honestly, you may as well keep some as they may not survive anyway.
cheers
Jim
I have a friend who stocked their swimming pool with trout fingerlings and they lasted through 3 summers.
That would be no doubt keeping the pool aerated and keeping it clean, reducing algie and so forth also.
Just like a fishtank.

Cheers, Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:49 pm

rixter wrote:
poodoo wrote:
Rod Bender wrote:
Scraglor wrote:.........................................................................................................................................
One of the locals reckons the trout die each year due to High water temp so I havent spent a lot of time there lately. Would be very interested to hear what someone with more knowledge than me thinks about that statement
I'm not sure what the lake is like but if it is shallow, I have no doubt the trout may struggle to survive a hot summer. Some people say that they release stocked trout to catch again another day. Honestly, you may as well keep some as they may not survive anyway.
cheers
Jim
I have a friend who stocked their swimming pool with trout fingerlings and they lasted through 3 summers.
That would be no doubt keeping the pool aerated and keeping it clean, reducing algie and so forth also.
Just like a fishtank.

was a broken swimming pool so just had water some water plants, no aeration in it.
Cheers, Rick.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:50 pm

Scraglor wrote:Thanks Jim, I have released all my trout there as they havent been of a significant size, upsetting to think they let them boil to death tho, as they are fantastic fun to catch
Yes - I sometimes wonder why they are stocked. I would assume DEPI would base their stocking numbers for individual lakes on the amount of fish the lake can carry as well as how long before the fish are removed. We all hear stories of excessive amounts of stocked trout being taken. For people who follow the rules, I have no issues with them taking their bag limit.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:50 pm

Yeah haha, very true Rick, I know I should say this but I had a tank of reddies for a long while, and watching them feed gave me a whole new perspective on fishing. nothing like understanding the fish, to increase your chances of catching

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:31 pm

poodoo wrote:was a broken swimming pool so just had water some water plants, no aeration in it.
And as you mentioned, they were just fingerlings. Stocked trout in lakes are a bit larger and advanced than fingerlings and use more oxygen.

Those plants alone in the pool would of been providing plenty of oxygen, food (mozzies, dragonflies and so forth lay larvae on water plants), and working as a filter also as the plants feed on/absorb the fish poo water too.
So long as the pool was kept at a depth, so the plants didn't die, and the water didn't get too warm, then that would of been plenty enough for the fingerlings to live a few seasons.

With a lot of the smaller lakes, some of them don't even have the depth of an average swimming pool, and the plants die off also due to low very low oxygen levels (even though they do produce a lot of oxygen , they still need some to live !), also the low water levels exposing the water plants to too much sunlight kills them off, which also the fish feed on, then also with the larger fish taking the oxygen too (what's left of it as the plants creating the oxygen die off), everything pretty much dies off. Then it all goes stagnant and green algie weed grows everywhere.
This happens in a lot of the smaller stocked lakes each year , until the lakes are refreshed with new rainfall to clean and oxygenate the water again.
Even rainfall breaks the water surface , oxygenated rain water and also dragging more oxygen into the water from the air as the rain hits the surface. Like a waterfall constantly oxygenates the water, or running waters breaking the surface to oxygenate the water. Smaller lakes and dams can become stagnant very quick if water levels drop / plants die / and not enough rainfall drops to refresh them.
Unlike rivers and streams which have constant flowing water, rapids and so forth , creating breaks in the water surface drawing in oxygen.

The bigger birds are definatly onto the stocked lakes these days too !, I've seen plenty of big birds around stocked lakes taking the stocked trout. I witnessed 1 bird alone take around 6 trout with a few minutes, surfacing while gulping down the fish. Bugger, took more than his bag limit !. ;) :lol: lol.

There has been a lot of smaller lakes that have missed out on re-stocking some seasons due to all the above.
DPI do list some of the lakes that don't get a restock due to problems, but personally I don't think they are listing them all.
A lot of the lakes are in really bad condition this year , not producing , and not only myself , but others also questioning if some of the lakes have even been restocked again this year.

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Scraglor wrote:Using course techniques i caught about 30 fish in this lake one day. Trout jumping, reddies, roach etc.

i see plenty of coarse fishermen there most weekends... some even with Bait boats towing their line out to a pricise spot... seen them catch carp close to 1m long too..
the trout dont seem to last longer than 1 to 2 weeks in rowville lakes though... id imagine from either being fished out or poor water quality... dont think any would really last until summer...also think bigger redfin would be getting some of them also. Lakes like Karkarook in moorabbin which is around 12-16m deep in spots though would definately have trout populations lasting a much longer time.

rixter

Post by rixter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:46 pm

Yeah those mud suckers will outlast everything , even the plants !. They don't need much oxygen to survive , and have been known to flip/flop across land around 40 meters over 2 days looking for new waters ! , true .

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:29 pm

Tossed out some corn on a running sinker today and threw some spinners around as well. Not even so much as a touch.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:49 pm

DougieK wrote:Tossed out some corn on a running sinker today and threw some spinners around as well. Not even so much as a touch.
ive had some luck on reddies with rapala CD-3 and CD-5's... usually get a hit most times im there.

Return to “Family Fishing Lakes”