Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: An interesting trip to Townsville

Post by Nude up » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:04 pm

great trip would have been lots of fun love the photo's inline

alaskanaturally

Post by alaskanaturally » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:19 am

Great report and pics. Thanks you. We are both advocates for the conservation of herps. Would like to see a map of your route as we will be touring there in Feb/march.
Martin and Ruta Outdoor Writers: Subsistence living, fishing, hunting, wild plant gathering, mushrooming, living off the grid.

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:09 am

Awesome trip and report!

Feel free to bring back some rainbows for my tank if you go again!

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:56 am

Thanks for all the kind words guys, it's nice to be able to come home and share this stuff with people who find it just as interesting as me.
Paulanderson wrote:Thanks for the great report and pics - a pity about the Mozambique Tilapia taking over as they are so invasive and such a hardy fish that survive in very poor conditions. The jungle perch would have been great fun - I managed a couple North of Port Douglas many years back. I live in Lusaka in Zambia these days and Tilapia are our "bread and butter" fish and we catch 4 different species here. The locals do so much netting including using mosquito nets for very small fish that over-population is never a threat and we catch some good sized ones to 3 kg or so.
Thanks mate, yeah the Tilapia are taking over unfortunately. After my PhD I'd love to do some work looking at the control of invasive species. I've done a bit of work on mosquitofish (Gambusia sp.) in the past and loved it (they are decimating fish and frog populations all over Aus)

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:59 am

alaskanaturally wrote:Great report and pics. Thanks you. We are both advocates for the conservation of herps. Would like to see a map of your route as we will be touring there in Feb/march.
No worries mate. When you get to Aus just send me a message and I'll send you our route. We took the most direct inland route, but if you have the time it would be much cooler to take the coastal route. A lot of amazing places to stop along the way

alaskanaturally

Post by alaskanaturally » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:23 am

Broomstick wrote:
alaskanaturally wrote:Great report and pics. Thanks you. We are both advocates for the conservation of herps. Would like to see a map of your route as we will be touring there in Feb/march.
No worries mate. When you get to Aus just send me a message and I'll send you our route. We took the most direct inland route, but if you have the time it would be much cooler to take the coastal route. A lot of amazing places to stop along the way
Thanks, will do. We'll be in Tas for most of Feb then the mainland in March,
Martin and Ruta Outdoor Writers: Subsistence living, fishing, hunting, wild plant gathering, mushrooming, living off the grid.

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:17 pm

What an awesome trip!

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:30 pm

Broomstick wrote:Thanks for the kind words fellas
Brett wrote:Great read

Any advice for someone heading to the Gold Coast next weekend, I want the throw lures around the creeks
Thanks mate. I'm no expert and have never fished the gold coast, but what were you looking to target?
I'll only be looking at jacks, bream, flatties, I believe it is full of jews at present, so may attempt one of them. Only taking light gear, so thinking smallish fish lol

Broomstick

Post by Broomstick » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:58 pm

Brett wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Thanks for the kind words fellas
Brett wrote:Great read

Any advice for someone heading to the Gold Coast next weekend, I want the throw lures around the creeks
Thanks mate. I'm no expert and have never fished the gold coast, but what were you looking to target?
I'll only be looking at jacks, bream, flatties, I believe it is full of jews at present, so may attempt one of them. Only taking light gear, so thinking smallish fish lol
You can't go past the old squiggly wriggler for bream and flatties! 80 or 100ml. For hard bodies, chubbies and dunks are my favourites and catch everything, but yeah I can't really tell you too much as I haven't fished there. I've never caught a jew and only a couple of jacks so can't really help ya there. Guess I wasn't much help at all really ha

Return to “Other Australian States”