Land Base Shark fishing...

New South Wales Fishing Reports
Isaac
Has liked: 2 times

Land Base Shark fishing...

Post by Isaac » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:40 am

Hi...can anyone suggest a good place places for shark fishing (landbase) the area I am wanting to cover is eden-Merimbula to vic border i am after larger species...such as bronzes'...etc...(i dont want to kayak baits out either :o_0: ) thankyou for your time...Isaac
Last edited by Isaac on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Land Base Shark fishing...

Post by 4liters » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:27 am

I'm only new to it myself but the impression I get is that sharks can be found all along the coast and in the bays. The limiting factor for landbased fishing seems to be getting baits out far enough so any location that lets you paddle, balloon or cast big baits out far enough should produce eventually.

That's just my thoughts anyway, I'd be interested to hear what experienced shark fishos have to say
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rixter

Post by rixter » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:49 am

Fish anywhere along the beach on NSW coast atm mate and you'll find sharks ! (mainly of a night best shark/surf fishing on the beach imo) . During the day look for the bait balls in the waves and gutters and berley up, just try to keep away from the surfers or they become bait too , lol .
Up north where I am in NSW ( around the Richmond river), even the rivers are full of big bull sharks too by the dozen. :D
Cheers

azkay

Post by azkay » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:52 am

I'm by no means a Land Based Shark Fishing Expert but here's my experience in that area recently;

Type in Greencape Fishing in Google. You should find a few useful photos and articles. All the beaches along Ben Boyd National Park hold some serious fish. The Rock Ledges will give you access to deeper water.

I just got back from 10 Days in Merimbula. Sharks everywhere! There were fins breaking the surface nearly every trip we went on. Caught a few around the 1-1.5m mark, not Bronzies though, more Seven Gillers, Gummies and others (Droughboard, Port Jackson, etc..).

Got smoked a few times as well, hooked onto a few fish off the rock ledges that seriously felt unstoppable..

Sightings were during the day (for obvious reasons) but most hookups came at night. Ideally you want to paddle out your baits or balloon them out. We didn't have a kayak so we ballooned however a decent cast with big baits found the big fish as well, i was actually surprised how close they sit just on the entrance/exit of the gutters on the shoreline, even though most the beaches we went to got pretty deep pretty quickly..

spikestar
Has liked: 1 time

Post by spikestar » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:27 am

Be persistent and do your research. Upgrade your gear as you learn from your experience. Best advice I can give you. ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Return to “New South Wales”