Brown Trout Hoodoo Broken.

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Brown Trout Hoodoo Broken.

Post by meppstas » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:07 pm

''BROWN TROUT HOODOO BROKEN.'' 19-12-14

Wanting and needing to break the ''Brown Trout Hoodoo'' that I have experienced in the past three trips I headed over to the upper reaches of the Meander River this afternoon to see if I could finally break it. I could have gone to a little stream close to home that's full of small lure grabbing browns, but that's not how I wanted to break it. I had to do it in a large river and one that is my favourite river as well.

The day before there was a good bit of rain about this area and I knew that it would have freshened the river up, plus the wind was from the West which made it spot on for a spin session. The river was low to medium height and running clear and there was plenty cloud cover making conditions perfect just how I like it.. Started off (at 5.15pm) with the same, now well worn little Mepps black fury (black blade) spinner and after working some fifty meters of river I had my first brown hooked and soon in the landing net. It wasn't a big brown (280gms) but it was the one that broke the hoodoo and that's all that mattered to me.

Full of confidence I kept on working my way up this 500 metre stretch of medium to fast water and managed three more hookups for just the one brown landed. The two that I lost were only little fella's, but the one landed was a nice solid brown that went 510gms. I had now reached the end of this section of the Meander that I wanted to fish so it was time to move on to another longer stretch a kilometre further upstream. This next area has quite a few good fast water runs along it and I felt I would be in with a chance of getting a couple more browns there too.

The first run I fished was a slower flowing short section of water, but I did have a couple of hit and misses in it which was a sign that the browns are it the right frame of mind for taking the spinner today. I call it ''Attack Mode'' and that's what it's looking like so far. It wasn't long before I was into the fast water and had another brown (320gm) take the black fury with an aggressive hit, it too stayed on and was soon in the net making it three browns so far from five hookups. Ahead of me was mainly all fast water, it certainly was worth making the move to fish this stretch of the Meander. It was nearly 7.00pm so I decided to fish on for another hundred meters or so and then call it a day. It was a good decision too because I caught and released another five browns from seven hookups. The best brown and the last fish of the day was also taken here, it went 560gms and mangled the little black fury too.

My brown trout hoodoo had finally come to an end today which was a relief and I did catch more trout than I lost for a change.. I was happy with today's session catching and releasing 7 browns from 12 hookups.
Attachments
Shallow fast water, Meander River.(19-12-14) (Medium).JPG
510gm brown, Meander River.(19-12-14) (Medium).JPG
Good section of the Meander River.(19-12-14) (Medium).JPG
Fast water, Meander River.(19-12-14) (Medium).JPG
560gm Meander River Brown Trout.(19-12-14) (Medium).JPG
Black Fury wrecked by 560gm brown, Meander River.(19-12-14) (Medium).JPG
still water 7.45pm, Meander River.(19-12-14) (Medium).JPG
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Brown Trout Hoodoo Broken.

Post by Nude up » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Do you use the snap swivel all the time, is that to deal with the line twist. I am happy to see it I use similar ones when I pull hardbodies I dont think it puts the fish off. I use the roller swivel type I have the had other type fail ie pull out probably should have changed it more often but have not had that problem since changing over.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:19 pm

Oh glad the brown trout hoodo broken

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:12 pm

Nude up wrote:Do you use the snap swivel all the time, is that to deal with the line twist. I am happy to see it I use similar ones when I pull hardbodies I dont think it puts the fish off. I use the roller swivel type I have the had other type fail ie pull out probably should have changed it more often but have not had that problem since changing over.
Thanks Nude up, yes i always use a small (12) snap swivel as it's much easier if you have to change the lures frequently. I've never had a problem with using them at all. I also have an anti-kink attached above the swivel to help prevent any line twist. I also paint the anti-kink and sometimes attach a trout fly to it as well. Quite often pick up a fish or two using this method as it's the first thing that comes down past them.

cheers
Adrian
Attachments
IMG_2477 (Medium).JPG
Last edited by meppstas on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

muzza43
Has liked: 104 times

Post by muzza43 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:13 pm

Well done Adrian, I knew it would not last long. Cheers muzza43.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:37 pm

muzza43 wrote:Well done Adrian, I knew it would not last long. Cheers muzza43.
Thanks muzza, glad you had faith in me... :fish5:

Return to “Tasmania”