Bicheno Snorkelling & Squidding! 1/3/15

Tasmania Fishing Reports
Lake Leake Boy

Post by Lake Leake Boy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:12 am

As good reports keep coming from the east coast we decided to head on over to Bicheno to check out where we could do a bit of snorkelling safely with my little sister and try to catch a squid or two.

Arriving to a bit of a gusty SW wind we headed for the Waubs Bay, where the bigger boats are moored. Talking to some divers they told us it was a good safe spot to jump in, have a splash and look around! Connor decided not to snorkel, so he fished from off the break wall. So on with the wet suit and flippers for the rest of us whom chose to snorkel.

Whilst we were snorkelling, Connor caught 2 Southern Calamari. I saw a few fish as I was cruising around with the Go Pro on, and then someone sings out that they’ve found a massive sting ray, I swim across, but before I could get some footage of it, it disappears into the weeds. I then come across a fish that I THINK may have been a KINGFISH? I have got a bit of go pro footage that I will put up later on, as I’m not sure if it was or not.
We decided to get out of the water to have a bit of lunch then head around to the “Gulch”, where Connor hooks into another nice sized Cali. Mum then comes down and says “Now look Samuel, I’ll show you how to catch a squid” (as I had yet to hook on throughout the day) on her first cast she manages to catch a nice little Cali! “There you go, easy, just like that” she says with a smile on her face. Connor managed to catch some more, I still hadn’t caught any (and I was standing right next to him) and then headed back into town to catch up with some family and clean the squid.

Connor and I decided to head back down the boat ramp where we went snorkelling to see if we could catch any more calamari. Connor manages to hook one, but loses it, and then in the matter of 15 minutes I caught three! I was so pleased!
As we were packing our gear up, the massive stingray that had been seen before swam past.

It was a great day out, and I’m glad that there is fish out there I can catch!
IMG157.jpg
DSCF1069.JPG
DSCF1069.JPG (203.57 KiB) Viewed 313 times
DSCF1066.JPG
DSCF1066.JPG (333.39 KiB) Viewed 313 times
DSCF1064.JPG
DSCF1064.JPG (208.14 KiB) Viewed 313 times
Proudley Sponsored by Dogtooth Distrabutions

Lake Leake Boy

Re: Bicheno Snorkelling & Squidding! 1/3/15

Post by Lake Leake Boy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:25 am

Is this a King fish?

[youtube]U1XVHR43Cmw[/youtube]
Proudley Sponsored by Dogtooth Distrabutions

tommyfishunter

Post by tommyfishunter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:58 am

Good stuff mate, I love Bicheno, the missus has a beach house down there its an absolute cracker of a place. No idea about the species of the fish, was quite hard to see in the video.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:31 am

I don't think the tail is yellow enough.

Great pics / vid / report mate.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:38 am

Looks like a salmon..
Good report mate..

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:32 pm

Hard to tell what it actually is Samuel, but as dougie mentioned not enough yellow in the tail to be a Kingfish. More than likely a salmon mate.
good footage too, well done.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “Tasmania”