Only three browns taken from five hook ups...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Only three browns taken from five hook ups...

Post by meppstas » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Only three trout taken from five hook ups.

Shot off at 4:30pm for a late session on the Mersey River I the hope it may fire up a little better than my last trip there. The river was low and clear, so with dull overcast weather conditions I thought it may fish okay. On the very first cast with a gold Aglia I was onto a medium size (360gm) brown that fought reasonably well in the slow flowing shallow water that I flicked the spinner into. This was the start I was looking for, but will stay like this for the whole session was what I was thinking. The next two fast water stretches didn't give a yelp! Not a sign of a fish at all, so it's not looking all that good at this stage of the session. I was going to bypass the long slow flowing stretch of river an just fish the fast water runs as I normally do at this time of year.
Wild Mersey Rver brown.. 20-2-17 (Medium).JPG
First brown of the day..
First trout taken here, Mersey River. (Medium).JPG
First trout of the day caught here..
I decided to flick the spinner to opposite river bank near a fallen log in the hope there may be a trout sitting nearby. No sooner had the spinner hit the water a bow wave appeared on the surface behind the spinner. A trout from the river bank showed some interest & stayed just behind the spinner to at least half way across the river when it turned and moved back to where it came from. There I was waiting for a strike that didn't come. It was then I changed straight over to the little Atomic hard body lure and flicked that into the same spot near the fallen log. It only took one turn of the reel before it was fish on, that brown had no hesitation of taking the hard body. It fought hard running deep downstream before I finally managed to turn it and bring it closer to the surface where it made several leaps before tiring. It was a ripper of a river fish too, one that tipped the digital scales at 580 grams after deducting the 410 grams of the net weight. A quick photo and it was soon back in the river. Two hook ups from two strikes, I'm happy with that.
Golden colours in this Mersey River brown (Medium).JPG
Best fish of the session..
Solid 580 gm brown taken from edge of river bank, Mersey River. 20-2-17 (Medium).JPG
The 580 gram brown was taken from close to the opposite river bank..
I stayed with the hard body and fished the rest of the slow flowing stretch of river right up to the head of it. I managed two hook ups and lost both fish before catching and releasing a nice rainbow in the head water. From here on it was pretty quiet, over the next three hundred meters all that happened was two hit and misses from a couple of browns. Called it a day at 6:40pm.

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

donutcrooks

Re: Only three browns taken from five hook ups...

Post by donutcrooks » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:32 pm

You are always posting quality posts with perfect information and photos. Great pleasure to see all the things you do. Now for me to finally catch my first fish ever!

Happy fishing!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:30 pm

Nice report and pics as always mate :thumbsup:

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:23 pm

Thanks guys, it was a very different trip here to what it was two weeks ago when I caught & released 13 browns & 3 rainbows, but that's trout fishing for you. Still good be be in a river any way.. :water:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “Tasmania”