Hour & a half spin session yields a few trout...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Hour & a half spin session yields a few trout...

Post by meppstas » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:20 pm

** This trips was just on 6 days ago...

Well the weather this morning was no where near what was originally forecast, there wasn't any wind and now the rain isn't supposed to get here until late afternoon. I headed back to the Wilmot River seeing as the Mersey River is still on the high side and not safe enough to wade at the moment.
The Wilmot River was running at the same level as it was on my last trip here over a week ago which was good to see. Today I decided on using the Daiwa ghost gill brown hard body lure as that's what got the trout going on the last spin session here. But that was a week ago and a lot can change in a week with the trout fishing, even more so in the rivers.
IMG_4768 (Medium).JPG
Calm conditions for now...
The first stretch of water fished was a wide slow flowing deepish run and I had a follow from a decent size brown within the first few casts. That brown did show some interest in the lure but not enough to attack it, no matter what I tried. It wasn't until I was getting close to the top end of this stretch of water when I had my first take on the hard body. It was a well conditioned rainbow, this was the same start I had on my last trip here. The first fish that day was also a rainbow trout, this one was a little smaller than last weeks fish. Twenty meters further on I picked up a medium size brown from a bubble line close to the river bank, this fish was taken close to where I caught the rainbow last week. With two trout caught in quick time I'm thinking it's going to be a good session with quite a few trout being led into the landing net by the time I call it a day.
IMG_4769 (Medium).JPG
Another rainbow, first trout of the day once again..
IMG_4770 (Medium).JPG
Rainbow taken here..
IMG_4772 (Medium).JPG
Followed by this brown..
IMG_4773 (Medium).JPG
Brown caught here, in bubble line close to river bank..
The next small fast water I flicked the lure into I was soon onto another nice brown, that fish tossed the lure on the second head shake. It was quiet over the following run but the next one gave up a solid brown that fought all the way into the net. I was on a high now and feeling pretty cocky that these trout are in for a hammering today.. How wrong I was, it went dead from here on with not a sign of a trout for over forty minutes as I worked my way upstream. It wasn't until I came to a long medium to fast water run when I hooked another brown, that one stayed on until I went to slip the net under it when it gave one more head shake and tossed the lure. Yes, I did have a little tantrum before moving on and continued fishing..
IMG_4774 (Medium).JPG
Third trout of the session..
IMG_4775 (Medium).JPG
The third trout was taken in this stretch of water..
The strong winds that was earlier forecast finally arrived and it was really gusting now so I decided I would fish one more small fast water run ahead of me then call it a day. Good decision it was too because it was this piece of water that gave up the fish of the day. This solid brown took the ghost brown on the first cast and retrieve. It certainly gave me a run for my money too as it did everything to try and toss the lure. It made at least five of six leaps from the river and at the same time putting in some massive head shakes. I keep saying, “Stay on big fella, just stay on” and he did. After what seemed like five minutes but was only one & a half this fish was finally in the net. It was certainly a beautiful wild brown in the best of condition and colour and went 620 grams. A nice finish to what was really a short session, one that was also a bit of a let down after such a good start.. Still that's trout fishing isn't it and that's what it's all about, taking the good with the bad.
IMG_4779 (Medium).JPG
Best fish of the day picked up here, top RHS..
IMG_4776 (Medium).JPG
620 grams of beauty...
IMG_4778 (Medium).JPG
Ready for release..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

drew 2

Re: Hour & a half spin session yields a few trout...

Post by drew 2 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:53 pm

Some nice fish there mepp's :-D Really enjoying following your adventures again this season.Keep up the good work :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:13 pm

Thanks Drew, been a little slow of the mark lately... lot of hip & lower back troubles slowing me down... :(
Wont be giving it away yet though.. just may be longer between trips.. ;-)
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:06 pm

Great report & fish as usual Adrian :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Some good fish there Adrian but I still can't get over the clarity of your photos, :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:17 pm

Top report and pics as always mate :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:46 am

Thanks guys, it's such a beautiful scenic area to fish that makes it so enjoyable even when the fishing is a little the slow side..

cheers
Adrian

gordo65

Post by gordo65 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:16 pm

might have to come over to Tassie , your photos are unbelievable - fantastic looking river system,

Return to “Tasmania”