Fish Caught, But It Was Just One Of Those Days.

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Fish Caught, But It Was Just One Of Those Days.

Post by meppstas » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:07 pm

'' FISH CAUGHT, BUT IT WAS JUST ONE OF THOSE DAYS.'' 22-12-14

After having nine cubic meters of gravel delivered the other day my wife organised a helper to come and spread it in the driveway etc. Well, this was great as I couldn't do it any way with out making the elbow any worse than it is at the moment. Our drive drops some 2.1 meters over around 14 meters and I told the lad as to how I wanted it spread, plus other areas at the back of the shed etc where I also wanted it. It took him two days to do the job, but not really how I wanted it done as it was pretty thick in several place halfway up the driveway. I went to drive out of the carport this afternoon to go fishing and just bogged myself down in the gravel. Even with the traction control I wasn't going far. So I then had to shovel some 20 barrow loads of gravel so I could get the car up the drive way. This wasn't the start to my fishing trip to the Mersey River that I wanted at all.

Finally got the car out and arrived at Kimberley close on 4.45pm in very humid conditions with a spot of rain on and off. The first couple of fast water runs were fish less, but the next one did give up a nice medium sized (360gm) rainbow that took the black fury spinner. I did notice a few browns jumping on the odd occasion too. I fished the next two runs of fast water and once again they too were empty of fish. The next fast water was a much deeper one of at least a meter in depth, so it was on with a rainbow Rapala for this section of river. There were quite a lot of willows covering both sides of the river here with some very low hanging branches. Well the first two casts I managed to lob the lure right in the middle of them, something I rarely do. I thought then that perhaps I should have just stayed at home today as it may be one of those days when every thing goes hay wire.

After retrieving my Rapala from the willows I finally got the lure to land where I wanted it and instantly had a rainbow hit it hard and fast. This was a nice fish that went 460gms, quick photo and back to the river it went. This made me feel a little better, until my next cast went back into the willows. I gave the rod a quick flick back towards me and the lure came straight out and back over my head. Beauty I thought, but then I noticed how tangled the loose line had become with the Rapala right in the middle of it all. So it was then a matter of cutting the line and setting up again. The next cast I was onto another rainbow that quickly came into the net. Once in the net the lure popped from it's mouth and I noticed my line wasn't attached to the lure by the snap swivel. When I had redone my tangled line and put the Rapala back on the swivel I must have forgotten to clip the snap back on. Luck went my way this time.

I then got out of the river to move to another stretch a little further upstream and head butted a low hanging branch that nearly knocked me senseless. Bloody hell, what's going on today I said to myself, I new I should have stayed home I kept on mumbling. It's just one of those days. Reached the next stretch of fast water and picked up another rainbow in quick time which was good. Then the next cast was okay until I was retrieving the lure and it didn't feel right, the reel felt tight as I was winding it. Then I noticed the line had somehow slipped under the spool and has wound itself around the reel shaft. So then it was off with the spool and once again I was cutting the mass of line from the reel shaft. With everything finally put back together I had a couple more casts and picked up a nice 320gm brown before calling an end to the session at 7.00pm.

On my walk back through the paddocks with my ''Fan Club'' of cattle following, the lure slipped off the rod eye and wrapped itself around it creating yet another tangle. Then when I reached to grab the Rapala to untangle it the bottom treble slipped under my wedding ring and into the finger it went. Well that really topped my day off didn't it. After a bit of swearing and cursing and quick pull with the pliers it was soon out and it wasn't long before was finally back to the car with out anything else going wrong. So even though I did manage a few fish, by hell it was just one of those days I should have stayed home. By the way, I've left the car parked out the front of the house tonight.
Cheers
Adrian
Attachments
Rainbow trout water, Mersey River.(22-12-14) (Medium).JPG
Nice 460gm Rainbow, Mersey River, Kimberley. (22-12-14) (Medium).JPG
Working the river under the willows, Mersey River.(22-12-14) (Medium).JPG
Solid Mersey Rainbow taken on Black Fury.(22-12-14) (Medium).JPG
My  ''Fan Club'' Kimberley.(22-12-14) (Medium).JPG
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Fish Caught, But It Was Just One Of Those Days.

Post by Nude up » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:48 pm

You must look like the farmer, it could have been worse you might have caught nothing, I have had days like that where nothing goes right I find red wine helps. Good luck on the next outing

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:23 pm

Nude up wrote:You must look like the farmer, it could have been worse you might have caught nothing, I have had days like that where nothing goes right I find red wine helps. Good luck on the next outing
Thanks Nude up, catching a few fish was the positive on the day for sure... :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:12 pm

Nice healthy fish !!!

Some days its good just to be out there fishing.

Do you ever float down worms ect in runs ?? Or allways lures ??

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:21 pm

barra mick wrote:Nice healthy fish !!!

Some days its good just to be out there fishing.

Do you ever float down worms ect in runs ?? Or allways lures ??

Bm
Always lures Bm, worms would work okay after some decent rain. This time of year a wattle grub or a mudeye would work better on the drift, wont be long and it will be good for
drifting Hoppers as I've seen a few small ones starting to show up in the grass. Probably the middle of January the hoppers should start to be more plentiful and will be around through to near the end of March.
cheers
Adrian

muzza43
Has liked: 104 times

Post by muzza43 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:58 pm

Same as usual Adrian, but looks like you had some company this time. Cheers and merry xmas, muzza43.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:59 am

muzza43 wrote:Same as usual Adrian, but looks like you had some company this time. Cheers and merry xmas, muzza43.
Thanks muzza, you have a good one too mate and hope you bag a few... :water:
cheers
Adrian

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:38 pm

All I can see is that you went out and caught two beautiful rainbows! Win!

Return to “Tasmania”