Last two trout reports for 2015/16 season.

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Last two trout reports for 2015/16 season.

Post by meppstas » Wed May 04, 2016 9:02 am

Well my last two trout reports of the 2015-16 season....

*** Four browns caught in short session. 28-4-16
Damp & dull conditions at Merseylea. (28-4-16) (Medium).JPG
Dull & damp conditions, perfect trout fishing day..
Low cloud and light rain had me setting off to Merseylea again this morning in what were ideal conditions for trout fishing. This time I was fishing at the top bridge which is around three kilometers upstream from where I fished yesterday. It wasn't one bit cold this morning, probably because it was 10.00am before I was in the river. Today I'm using the #00 gold black fury, only because it's the spinner that's already set up on the rod I'm using today. I'll change it if need be.
Dull conditions, Mersey River at Merseylea.(28-4-16) (Medium).JPG
Dull conditions on the river..
Most of the leaves have fallen, Mersey River at Merseylea. (28-4-16) (Medium).JPG
Long slow flowing run
After ten minutes of working my way upstream and concentrating on flicking the spinner into the flat water on the opposite river bank under the willows I had my first brown trout on for the session. It was soon in the net, quick pic and back in the river. Twenty meters further up I picked up another nice brown in the tail end of a long slow flowing section of river. After releasing that nice brown I hopped out of the river and bypassed the long stretch of water to get back fishing another stretch of fast water. I managed to catch another two browns here from three hook ups as well as having two hit and misses. I had only been fishing for one & a half hours when I called it a day. I wasn't feeling all that good between the shoulder blades again today so I didn't want to aggravate it too much with three days of the season left after today. I still want to have a few more days fishing if I can. In all, it wasn't a bad session on the Mersey River, no doubt had I fished on I'm sure I would have caught a few more fish.
Very nice Mersey River brown, Merseylea. (28-4-16) (Medium).JPG
Nice brown..
Second trout for the day, Mersey River at Merseylea. (28-4-16) (Medium).JPG
another Mersey brown..

*** Rain puts an end to the fishing. 29-4-16

Not a breath of wind with as just a sprinkling of light rain had me darting off to the Mersey River this morning. A session that I'm hoping will last a while before the rain gets heavier and sets in for the day as forecast. The forecast is for 15-25mms across the North of the state today which is very much needed. This will also gives the rivers a lift that should bring the trout on over the last two days of the season which ends at midnight Sunday 1st May. I hit the river just on 8.30 am just as the rain became a little heavier for a short time only before it eased right off. I used the gold black fury just as I did yesterday and was soon onto a nice 360gm rainbow that took the spinner just as I was about to lift it from the water and recast it. Luckily I had the drag set light as it peeled some ten meters of the thin 4 lb mono line from the reel. It didn't take over long before I had this lovely coloured 'bow in the net. Like all my catches, this one was soon back in the river after a photo. A little further up the river and I was onto a nice medium size (360gm) brown that put up a decent battle in the fast water for it's size. With two trout already caught in the first twenty minutes it looked like it was going to be a good mornings fishing.
IMG_0384 (Medium).JPG
Damp morning on the Mersey River..
Mersey River rainbow..(29-4-16) (Medium).JPG
solid 'bow..
IMG_0381 (Medium).JPG
Tail end of a back water..
The rain became heavy once more and things went pretty quiet until it eased off to a light drizzle some 15 minutes later after drenching me. I noticed a few trout started to jump and others were starting to surface feed in the slow flowing sections, so the rain was getting the trout up and about. The next fast water gave up another two browns with the best one going 520gms, this was a well conditioned male and beautifully coloured too. Just after releasing it the rain came in again, this time I could see it wasn't going to let up. This sent me packing back to the car and back to Sheffield. The best thing about today is that we are finally having a reasonably good dose of much needed rain. I was happy to get two hours in on the river before it set in too. With three browns and a rainbow caught & released it was worth getting wet.
IMG_0387 (Medium).JPG
time to go home...
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

brybry

Re: Last two trout reports for 2015/16 season.

Post by brybry » Wed May 04, 2016 10:39 am

Another great report Adrian and stunning photos.

This is my favourite time of year to be trout fishing. There is something about the morning mist, the smell of the bush, the crisp air, autumn colours and even the rain that makes you glad to be a fisherman and to have a reason to get out on your own in to the countryside.

Catching a fish is sometimes a bonus, and it looks like you have had a few bonuses this year!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 04, 2016 11:31 am

Another top report mate! Beautiful pics like always :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Wed May 04, 2016 12:05 pm

brybry wrote:Another great report Adrian and stunning photos.

This is my favourite time of year to be trout fishing. There is something about the morning mist, the smell of the bush, the crisp air, autumn colours and even the rain that makes you glad to be a fisherman and to have a reason to get out on your own in to the countryside.

Catching a fish is sometimes a bonus, and it looks like you have had a few bonuses this year!
Thanks guys, I reckon you're spot on there brybry.. I love being on the river in Autumn too, it's absolutely the best time of the year to be in a river..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 04, 2016 12:20 pm

Would be like therapy walking and catching fish along those rivers. Looks so quiet and peaceful Adrian :)

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed May 04, 2016 1:24 pm

great report adrian. Personally I prefer march for trout fishing but that's because I'm a dry fly guy and the insect activity tends to quieten down a bit at this time of year.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Wed May 04, 2016 2:03 pm

Another cracking report and pics Adrian and congratulations on another memorable trout season :cheers: , there's nothing like being out on the rivers or lakes this time of year :water:

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Wed May 04, 2016 3:45 pm

Thank's for taking the time to post all your report's during the season mepps :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've read every one and enjoyed them all. Always well written and with great pic's.

Looking forward to next years :cheers: :cheers:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Wed May 04, 2016 4:11 pm

Thanks guys for all of your replies to my reports, it makes it worth while putting them on the site.. even better when you get enjoyment from reading them.. It's feet up time now and get ready for next season.. time to clean out some small trout reels that I bought as spares and have never used too..

cheers
Adrian

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed May 04, 2016 4:53 pm

You have had a ripper season Adrian, keep it and the reports up next season, :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Return to “Tasmania”