Heading to Tasmania

Tasmania Fishing Reports
simon2g

Heading to Tasmania

Post by simon2g » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:09 pm

Hey guys, I've booked a suprise trip for the Mrs and I to go to Tasmania for a week.

I've somehow managed to get her onboard with a bit of fishing :a_goodjob:
Currently looking at getting a telescopic rod to bring down and for future convenience also, anyone here had a telescopic rod that they have used which is of decent quality? The Shimano eclipse has been something i've had my eye on thus far.

Meppstas, do you do much fishing on the east coast mate? I know you are thick into your trout but any chance you have any tips for the east coast?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Heading to Tasmania

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:15 pm

Sounds great mate. Hope both of you have a good time and end up catching some nice fish :thumbsup:

simon2g

Post by simon2g » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:21 pm

Lightningx wrote:Sounds great mate. Hope both of you have a good time and end up catching some nice fish :thumbsup:
Me too mate, but I am not even sad to say the fishing will be a side thought. Going to be renting a car and doing the east coast for 4 days, and venturing out west from Hobart for a few days also. So should be a pretty damn good time

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:23 pm

when are you down there?
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:27 pm

simon2g wrote:
Lightningx wrote:Sounds great mate. Hope both of you have a good time and end up catching some nice fish :thumbsup:
Me too mate, but I am not even sad to say the fishing will be a side thought. Going to be renting a car and doing the east coast for 4 days, and venturing out west from Hobart for a few days also. So should be a pretty damn good time
You will have a great time mate. Renting a car is definitely the way to do it.
Our last trip to NZ, the missus and I rented a car and drove from Auckland all the way up to the bay of islands. Got to see so much more :thumbsup:
We actually didn't end up doing that much fishing on that trip. Had too many day trips planned.

simon2g

Post by simon2g » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:52 pm

mazman wrote:when are you down there?
Mid August mate

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:07 pm

St.Helens in the bay is always a good spot to fish as is Beer Barrel Beach at Stiegletz at St Helens, South of St Helens is Scamander where the Bream fishing is very good in the Scamander River. The Douglas River further South past Seymour also has some good bream fishing in it as well.
Call into any of the information centers as they have heaps of brochures to go through or if your at St Helens check out a tackle shop they're full of info and will give you some directions where to fish..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:55 pm

If you are Hobart way with a car - you can head to the Tahune AirWalk which is along the Huon river. Fished it when I was there, fairly wadeable (some bush bashing required around the deeper parts) and teeming with trout.

Edit: After a quick Google Map scout, there is also the Picton River running into the Huon, with road access running along it (but not sure if this is an open or closed access road).

simon2g

Post by simon2g » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:43 pm

meppstas wrote:St.Helens in the bay is always a good spot to fish as is Beer Barrel Beach at Stiegletz at St Helens, South of St Helens is Scamander where the Bream fishing is very good in the Scamander River. The Douglas River further South past Seymour also has some good bream fishing in it as well.
Call into any of the information centers as they have heaps of brochures to go through or if your at St Helens check out a tackle shop they're full of info and will give you some directions where to fish..
cheers
Adrian
Ive pinned St Helens as a spot to stay for a night Mepps, It does look nice around there and i've found a few charters too.
Thanks for the advice mate :a_goodjob:

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:43 am

simon2g wrote:
meppstas wrote:St.Helens in the bay is always a good spot to fish as is Beer Barrel Beach at Stiegletz at St Helens, South of St Helens is Scamander where the Bream fishing is very good in the Scamander River. The Douglas River further South past Seymour also has some good bream fishing in it as well.
cheers
Adrian
Ive pinned St Helens as a spot to stay for a night Mepps, It does look nice around there and i've found a few charters too.
Thanks for the advice mate :a_goodjob:
If you're going on a charter from st helens I recommend Michael Haley for bream http://www.breamfishing.com.au/ he won't just give you the best chance you'll have of hooking a bream on lure in the system but also teach you how to do it elsewhere. He also does other charters which I imagine would be good to great but I haven't been on them to comment. Also the marina at st helens is a good area to fish for bream landbased.

Fishing aside if weather permits I highly recommend a trip to the bay of fires (north from st helens).

I'll see if I can find the report for the trip I did down there

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Tasmania”