Fishing great until the sun hit the water..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Fishing great until the sun hit the water..

Post by meppstas » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:52 pm

Fishing great until the sun hit the water.. 19-1-17
Early moning at Meander.. 2017 (Medium).JPG
Sunrise..
Another reasonably early start on the Meander River today in what was pretty cold conditions to start with. When I arrived at the river after walking through light frost covered paddocks I was greeted with a smooth glassy river that had a light mist drifting across the water surface. The air temp was just on 4 degrees going by the little fishing thermometer that I carry in my fishing vest and I can tell you now it was damn cold. Good thing was as I crossed the river I flicked the little copper aglia up and across the river and picked up a medium size brown on the forth cast. This section of river that I cross each time I come here has given me my first fish of the day on several trips now. One thing I found out in a hurry as I crossed over was that the river was running much higher than I have seen it for some time. Irrigation is the reason for more water being let out of Huntsman Dam. I still don't understand why they have to run it so high just for irrigation, it's at least 300mms higher than the normal flow and around 10cms higher than my last trip here. Once across the river I was off on another brisk walk to where I'll start my full on spin session.
Glow of a cool morning sunrise at Meander. 2017 (Medium).JPG
Cool conditions on the river..
Early morning trout, first of the day at 6.15am. 2017 (Medium).JPG
a 6.15am trout. first of the day.
Looking back at the sun, Meander. 2017 (Medium).JPG
Sun glare and mist..
With plenty of tall grass chock full of fluffy heads that stretched along all of river banks I took a hay fever tablet while heading to to the river. I really do hate this time of year with all the pollen that's in the air. Finally I was in the river flicking the spinner around and freezing my butt off at the same time. The sun had not all that long ago risen and was giving me a little of it's warm rays at last which still wasn't enough to thaw out my fingers. It took me close on five minutes before I had my first brown here in the net. After releasing that brown it only took me another seven minutes to catch and release three more browns from five hook ups. With a total of five browns on the scorecard already (including the river crossing trout) I was hoping for a big total today. I picked up two more in quick time again and then it went a little quiet over the next fifty meters. I did have a couple of takes but missed both fish. It wasn't until I was just around a bend in the river and back in the shade when I picked up another solid brown. That was the last sighting of a trout for the next sixty meters of river when I decided to get out and make the move to another area a couple of kilometers further upstream.
Only three degrees on the river this morning.. 2017 (Medium).JPG
only three degrees here in the shade..
Copper aglia caught this brown..Meander 2017 (Medium).JPG
Aglia bags another brown..
It was only a short drive away, then it was a twenty minute walk to where I was to start fishing again. It was 9:30am and the sun was much higher with less than half of the river covered in shade which just happened to be the side I had to fish from as it's the shallowest side to fish from. I did have a hook up in pretty quick time here in the shade but lost it after the third leap for freedom. It wasn't a big fish so I wasn't overly disappointed about dropping that one. The next stretch of river I picked up three more browns from six hook ups, all in quick time once again. That was the end of it, all I could manage from then on over the next hour was two follows for one hit and miss. The sun was full on the water and the trout had shut down, plus the wind had picked up from the South East which was the nail in the coffin for me. It time to give it away and head for home just on 11:25am. With eleven trout for the session wasn't all too bad, the only let down was that I suffered with hay fever all bloody day and still suffering with it when I wrote up this report..
Just one of eleven caught today, Meander. 2017 (Medium).JPG
one of eleven for the day..
High sun has shut down the trout, Meander. 2017 (Medium).JPG
Full sun on the water shut down the trout fishing..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

drew 2

Re: Fishing great until the sun hit the water..

Post by drew 2 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Thanks for the report & great pic's mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:52 pm

Great report mate. Good session. Really nice pics :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:02 pm

Thanks guys, even though it was a little fresh in the morning it was still a great day to be in a river.. :water:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

brybry

Post by brybry » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:47 pm

Another great report Adrian.

Great pics too. Early and cold mornings on the river are special.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:17 pm

Thanks brybry, doesn't get any better than that, fresh clean air and the fishing is usually good as well..

cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”