Fishing In Humid Conditions Gives Up Plenty...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Fishing In Humid Conditions Gives Up Plenty...

Post by meppstas » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:41 am

Fishing in humid conditions gives up plenty. 20-1-17

Being a Saturday and having 24 mms of rain overnight I was in two minds whether or not to go and have a spin session. The wind was forecast to be blowing at around 27 kph which put me off early in the day, as the day went on the wind still hadn't arrived. It was around 4:00 pm when I decided I would go and have a fish in the upper reaches (private property) of the Mersey River. The conditions were very humid when I arrived and the river here is nothing to what it once was before the June floods. I also wanted to try a new shallow running hard body lure that I had sent to me to see how well it would go on a river here in Tasmania. Being a shallow running lure I will try it in the slow flowing water today when I come across one. I'm mainly concentrating on the fast/medium runs on the river this trip with the blade spinners.
Storm clouds building  up. 2017 (Medium).JPG
Humid conditions, upper Mersey River area.
Where I entered the Mersey there was another small river/creek flowing into that I had to cross over to get into the Mersey, I flicked the little copper Aglia into it and picked up a small 230gm brown on the second cast. Once in the main river I was straight into a fast water run where I did have a hit and miss before moving onto the next one. I thought it may have given up a few fish because it looked really fishy, I did catch one 290 gm brown using my drift and spin method. As much as the river has changed it was great to be back up here trout fishing once more. I moved onto the next fast water stretch and it was here I picked up two more browns using the same drift & spin method. One of the browns was a beauty, a solid well conditioned 600 gm fish that I took my time with as it made several runs in the fast water before it tired and I finally had it in the net. Once in the net out popped the little Aglia, I had wondered how well this fish was hooked when I could see the spinner flopping around near it's front lip when playing it.
Mersey a little wider here.  2017 (Medium).JPG
Solid brown taken here..
600 gm wild brown trout, Mersey River,  2017 (Medium).JPG
600 gm brown..
The next stretch of water I would normally bypass at this time of year due to me concentrating on fast water fishing only but I did want to try the new Muzza's gem lure. It was the ideal water that was suited to this shallow running hard body that dives to around 50cms. The first few casts there wasn't a sign of a fish until I moved twenty meters further upstream when a small brown showed a little interest in it. It didn't go at it though, three casts later the lure was hit hard and fast and this fish was hooked. This fish was around twenty meters away when it took the lure, I could tell it was a reasonable size trout too as it made several hard runs and stayed close to the bottom. After a good tussle with this brown it finally tired and I had it in the net and on the river bank. Just like the last brown this fish was in top condition and went just over 500gms on the digital scales. Weighed while it was still in the net, the total net weight was 915gms, then deduct the net weight of 410gms leaves the fish weight of 505gms.
Muzzas new lure catches a Mersey River wild brown trout..  2017 (Medium).JPG
Solid brown taken on the new hard body..
It was now onto the next thirty meter fast water run and back on with the copper Aglia spinner. I was right into a fish on the very first cast, followed with six more trout from ten hook ups over fifteen minutes of fishing. Two of them being very nice rainbow trout with the best one going 360 gms. I just love fishing the fast water this time of year as it holds so many trout and they really go for the blade spinners in it too. This is trout fishing at it's best and it doesn't get any better than this either. It was now 7:20pm when I decided I would fish on for another twenty minutes before calling it a day. I'm glad I did because I picked up four more browns and one more solid 420gm rainbow from eight hook ups in what topped off a great day back here on the Mersey River. So with thirteen browns and three rainbows it was time well spent on the river in very humid conditions.
Another Mersey River wild rainbow trout.. 2017 (Medium).JPG
Nice Mersey River wild rainbow trout..
Beautifully coloured brown, Mersey River. 2017 (Medium).JPG
Beautifully coloured brown
Trout lured from the fallen timber area. Mersey River. 2017 (Medium).JPG
Brown taken here..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Johand

Re: Fishing In Humid Conditions Gives Up Plenty...

Post by Johand » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:36 am

Great crisp colourful photos as always :a_goodjob:

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:46 am

Great report & photos (as usual), Adrian

Cheers
Gra

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:59 am

Another great report Adrian! Great pics as always :thumbsup:

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:55 pm

Always an appreciated read and view!

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:01 pm

A top report and pics as per usual Adrian :thumbsup: ,have you had a chance to start on the book yet mate??

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:39 pm

Thanks guys,
No Marty, once the trout season has closed I'll be putting a bit more time into it..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:49 am

Great pics Adrian, particularly the second which really conveys the atmosphere on the day. From what you have written it seems like one of those days of anticipation where every cast could turn up a fish.

In this day and age in the streams you fish what weight do you consider to be a good trout and what constitutes a big one? I know in my youth in NE Victoria 600 g to a kg were fairly average fish but today I would consider them in the good category and double that a big fish.

What do you think?

Best Wishes

Truedogz

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:14 am

:good: as usual Adrian, cheers davo :thumbsup:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:05 am

Truedogz wrote:Great pics Adrian, particularly the second which really conveys the atmosphere on the day. From what you have written it seems like one of those days of anticipation where every cast could turn up a fish.

In this day and age in the streams you fish what weight do you consider to be a good trout and what constitutes a big one? I know in my youth in NE Victoria 600 g to a kg were fairly average fish but today I would consider them in the good category and double that a big fish.

What do you think?

Best Wishes

Truedogz
In a river here in the North a good fish is from around 500gm to 1.5 kgs anything above the 1.5 kg mark is a very good fish. The rivers vary a lot with trout sizes, the Mersey being one of the better rivers in the North for larger fish. I have seen them around the 3-4 kg mark in a few places but they're as cunning as hell. Most of the rivers & streams I fish the trout range from 230gm to 600gms any thing above that is a good fish. though in saying that I did manage to catch a solid 2.65 kg brown out of a small creek back on August 17th. Some rivers are over populated and are full of small browns and a good fish is 400gms.. In the South of Tassie the sizes seem to be larger and that may be due to a few of them having hatcheries on them and quite often there are several escapees into the rivers. Trout up to 5-6 kgs are often picked up in them from time to time, plus they seem to get a little more consistent rain down there than we do in the North too.. I'm sure there are quite a few rivers in and around the North that hold some very large trout too, on the odd occasion I do hear of some big ones being caught.. the river(s) are never named though.. :)

cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”