Two spin sessions with 40 trout caught & released.

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Two spin sessions with 40 trout caught & released.

Post by meppstas » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:53 am

Two spin sessions with 40 trout caught & released... 6th & 7th Feb.

With some poor weather forecast later in the week I put two morning spin sessions in a row in on two different rivers. Both where early morning starts before the wind picked up and both days started off a little slow without a trout being caught in the first 20 minutes. After that it was really good fishing with quite a lot of trout of various sizes being caught & released over the two days.
The first day I managed to lose the first brown and after that I never lost another fish for the session. I caught & released 11 rainbows & 10 browns ranging in size from 290 gms to 770 gms, the best being a solid brown and the best rainbow 470 gms. I must admit I did catch the smallest rainbow that I've ever caught as well, how this little 'bow managed to get hooked certainly amazed me. It was really a fingerling as it was so small. This little trout wasn't included in my fish tally either.
How small is this rainbow trout.. (Medium).JPG
No.... this can't be true..
First rainbow of the day, 2017 (Medium).JPG
First of the day..
The best trout of the day, 770 gms,   2017 (Medium).JPG
770 gm brown, best of the session..
So in day one and just over three & a half hours of spin fishing I finished with 21 trout in what was a pretty good session. One brown & a rainbow were taken on the Atomic shad50 hard body in two slow flowing stretches with the rest of the trout being caught on the Mepps #00 copper black Aglia in the shallow fast water runs.
2017 (Medium).JPG
Great day on the river..
The second day saw me on the river just after sunrise in what was good conditions with overcast sky and cool conditions with no wind. This session like yesterdays started off slow though I did lose three in a row before changing from a Mepps #00 copper Aglia to a Mepps #00 gold Aglia. The change of colour is what seemed to turn the morning around as from then on it all fell into place. Over three hours in the river fishing both medium & fast water runs I picked up 19 browns that ranged from 280 gms up to the best brown I've caught for a while, that being a beautiful well conditioned 890 gm beast. That fish was taken in 15cms of water and I drew it out from the river bank three times before he finally took the little gold Aglia. This was another good spin session on a river and my seasons tally is now on 460 trout at this stage after 53 trips. One I'm fairly happy with as I have had less trips this season, this time last season I had 64 trips for 458 trout.
IMG_3621 (Medium).JPG
Solid brown taken close in by river bank..
890 gm Brown.. Mepps Aglia. 2017 (Medium).JPG
890 gms of muscle..
Mepps Aglia bags a 890 gm brown..JPG
Little gold Aglia did the job..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Two spin sessions with 40 trout caught & released.

Post by Lightningx » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:52 am

A couple of awesome sessions there Adrian! Gotta be happy with that! The 890 g one is a beauty. Did it give up a bit of a fight? Really nice pics as always mate :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:02 pm

It fought like hell, even more so when it headed into the fast water.. took around four minutes to get him into the net..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Great pics and report as usual,got me beat how that little trout got his mouth around your lure.
:cheers:

Treyball

Post by Treyball » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:27 pm

Awesome report and fishing.. Can't wait to get down to tassie and give it a dig..

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:31 pm

Great report Adrian & a couple of cracking fish mate :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:44 pm

Nightwish wrote:Great pics and report as usual,got me beat how that little trout got his mouth around your lure.
:cheers:
Thanks guys... :thumbsup:

I didn't even know that little 'bow had even taken it as there wasn't any sign of a light hit at all,
it wasn't until I lifted the spinner out of the water for a recast when I noticed it hanging from the spinner..
Any way I got it off very quickly and unharmed which was good..

cheers
Adrian

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Great looking brown trout in the net.

Bm

Return to “Tasmania”