Trout A Little Scarce This Trip...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Trout A Little Scarce This Trip...

Post by meppstas » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:25 pm

Trout a little scarce this trip. 9-2-17

With humid and overcast conditions this afternoon saw me going for a late afternoon spin on the Mersey River at Kimberley. It was around 4:30pm by the time I reached the river and started fishing in low and very clear water. I started off using a black bladed black fury spinner seeing as the river was low and clear. I did hook a small brown at the tail end of a slow flowing stretch of river where I was crossing over. That little fish tossed the fishing in no time, so I headed straight to the fast water. I worked two sections of fast water without getting a hit or a follow which was pretty disappointing because these two runs normally gives up a trout or two.
Mersey River ... 2017 (Medium).JPG
Dull, calm and very humid conditions
I headed on upstream to the next fast water while bypassing a 500 meter shallow slow flowing stretch of river. On the way I changed over to a copper #00 Aglia and this did the trick as I picked up two nice browns in quick time with one of them going 1.03 kgs. The larger of the two being taken in close to the opposite river bank and the smaller (410 gm) brown from mid river. The large brown took some time to land as it fought like hell and I wasn't in a hurry to land it either. I could see the copper spin blade fluttering about as it made several leaps from the river and was just waiting to see the spinner go flying through the air at any moment. It didn't, finally after at least five minutes I led it into the net and was very relieved that I had managed not to lose it. Once in the net it tossed the spinner after a few head shakes.
Mersey River brown,  2017 (Medium).JPG
One of three browns for the short session..
1-03 kg wild brown trout, Mersey River,   2017 (Medium).JPG
Best brown of the trip..
Still signs of the flood damage, Mersey River,.. 2017 (Medium).JPG
Still some signs of the June floods along the river bank.
Onto the next fast water where I picked up another brown what wasn't all that big, but it was still a legal size fish that went 310 gms and full of fight in the fast water. I'm just going fishing one more small fast water before heading back to the car. While heading onto that fast water I took a tumble on the rocky river bank. At first I thought I had broken my left wrist and popped my shoulder, but once I stood up it didn't feel all that bad. I could still wriggle my wrist and raise my arm so it looked like there's no major damage done. This fall happened because I wasn't watching where I was walking, instead I was looking at the short stretch of fast water ahead of me that I was going to fish. Any way I reached that fast water and picked up a nice 380 gm wild rainbow trout in it. I also hooked and lost another smaller rainbow there before heading back to the car at 6:35pm. It wasn't a long session by all means, the fish were much scarcer than I had expected too which was a shame.
All the trout were caught & released and were all quality well conditioned fish which was good to see. In saying that, every trout I've caught this season have all been like that.
(Medium).JPG
Where I fell head over heels..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Trout A Little Scarce This Trip...

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:25 am

Great report Adrian! Good to hear you were ok after the fall mate. Not as many fish as usual but that big 1 kg+ brown must have been worth it? :P really nice pics as always :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:15 pm

Thanks for that, yes that brown was well worth the trip for sure and I don't mean the one one on the rocks either.. ;-)

That's the first trout I've over a kilo since 6th Nov 2015, a few have been up there but not on or over the 1 kg at all..

My best brown for the season is still the 2.65 kg fish I caught back in August in a small creek.. doubt I'll better that this season, but you never know. ;-)

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:38 am

Nice report and as lx said glad you are alright.
l think we have all been guilty of not watching where we are going because we are looking at what's to come.
Do you think brown trout fight harder than rainbows?
Yesterday when l was fishing in my local lake l caught a brown and when it first run l thought l had something pretty big on but once it was landed it was nowhere near the size of the rainbows l have been catching.
l have only ever caught 3 browns before so l don't know if this one just had a lot of fight in him or browns just go harder than rainbows.
:cheers:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:56 pm

Browns do fight pretty well in the rivers as do the rainbows.. I only ever fish the rivers and find that the rainbows put up the best fight of the two fish.

I never fish lakes all that often (maybe once every couple of years) but have fished dams stocked with rainbows up to 15 lb and found them to fight hard but only for a short time.. I reckon the river fish are a much stronger than lake or dam fish due to them being in strong flowing water more often than the lake & dam trout.. But that's just my opinion as I've found it to be.

cheers
Adrian

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:00 am

Thanks Adrian,l think you might be right about river fish being fitter.
The brown l caught must have been one that just didn't want to be caught.
The rainbows in Lake Wendouree do go hard which is great fun but as you said with the rainbows in the lakes you fish they do get tired quite quickly.
l am still quite new to trout fishing and have a lot to learn but with each trip l seem to learn a little bit more and l can see why people get so addicted to this style of fishing.
Thanks for your input.
:cheers:
Tony

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:28 pm

It's certainly addictive that's for sure, I've been trout fishing rivers for 53 years now and still can't get enough of it... :super:

cheers
Adrian

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:53 pm

that brown "best of the trip" has a huge tail Adrian, another great read & complimentary pics. thanks
quid est quod eum

Return to “Tasmania”