Later than normal start, but still a fair days fishing...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Later than normal start, but still a fair days fishing...

Post by meppstas » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:36 pm

Later than normal start, but still a fair days fishing. 16-2-17

It was supposed to be blowing a gale here today but when I got up there was hardly a breath of wind and I wasn't sure whether or not to go for a spin session as it was now 7:00am. Eventually I got the fishing gear on and headed of to the Meander River at 7:20am and was in the Meander by 8:00am. The stretch of river I'm fishing first was still covered in shade which was good and the river was low & clear, the air was quite cold & there was a light mist drifting across the water surface. The very first cast across the river with the gold Aglia resulted in a take as soon as the spinner hit the water. It was a nice medium size brown that gave me a run for the money, gladly I won out in the end. The air was colder than I first thought as my hands were becoming really cold, in fact so cold I was having trouble holding the trout rod when casting. I feel we may be in for an early Autumn as we haven't really had a Summer here at all this year with lower than average temperatures over the Summer.
End of the road for me, Meander River. 16-2-17 (Medium).JPG
Fast water..
As I slowly waded my way upstream working the fast water with the little Aglia I hooked and lost another brown as well as having a couple of light hit and misses. This was a good sign as it showed the trout are here and willing to have a crack at the spinner. After some twenty minutes I was onto a solid brown that played merry hell in the fast water run taking off downstream before turning and heading back upstream past me then back downstream again before it finally tired & I slipped the net under it. This was a nice brown that tipped the digital scales at 590 grams, a quick photo and it was soon on it's way. The next couple of fast water runs gave up several more well conditioned browns, though nowhere near the size of the 590 gm brown. Most ranged from 280 grams to 350 grams which were still fun to catch in fast water on the light tackle I use on the rivers. I had now reached the end of the fast water runs, this is where I pulled the plug for this stretch of river which gave up 11 browns from 15 hook ups in just over two and a bit hours.
Wild Meander River brown. 16-2-17 (Medium).JPG
Wild Meander River brown trout..
Nice trout water, Meander River. 16-2-17 (Medium).JPG
Nice trout water..
Gold Aglia catches a Meander River brown. 16-2-17 (Medium).JPG
Solid 590 gram brown,,
Reflections, Meander River. 16-2-17 (Medium).JPG
Calm & glassy water..
After a kilometer walk back to the car I drove to another section of river that had some nice medium to fast water runs along it. The first one hundred meter was completely fish less, not a sign of a trout at all. Then in the next run I did hook a small brown which I lost in quick time. It was quiet again over the next couple of small runs before I finally picked up two small browns from three hook ups. With the sun now overhead and full on the river I called it a day with just the 13 trout caught and released from a total 19 hook ups after fishing two different stretches of river. Not a bad result in the end.
Meander River wild brown trout  16-2-17 (Medium).JPG
Another nice brown..
Crossing the fast water, Meander River. 16-2-17 (Medium).JPG
Crossing the river to head back to the car, session is over...
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

nmgar

Re: Later than normal start, but still a fair days fishing...

Post by nmgar » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:48 pm

As always your report is a pleasure to read and with photos that make me want to hop on the boat to Tassie.
Cheers,
Neil

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:55 pm

Glad you enjoy them, feel free to look me up if you ever get down this way.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:13 pm

Top report as always Adrian! Sounds like you had a fairly successful day on the water mate.
13 trout caught and released from 19 hook ups can't complain?
Stunning pics :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:25 pm

Yes I was pretty happy with that even though I don't like losing fish.. The 13 trout caught & released took my season tally to 480 which I am happy with.. :banana: Had another trip yesterday in the upper reaches of the Mersey, report to follow in a day or so.. ;-)

cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”