Quick session gives up several wild brown trout...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Quick session gives up several wild brown trout...

Post by meppstas » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:13 pm

Quick session gives up several wild brown trout. 10-4-17

Not having had a spin session in a river since the 31st March I was starting to get a little out of whack with myself. Having to care for Pam since her hip replacement was still my first priority and always will be. Well today she was feeling a little better so I managed to have a 90 minute session on the Dasher River (private property) which is only five minutes from home. After 30 mms of rain two days ago I knew it would have risen a few inches and there should be a few trout on the take. After a short walk to the river I noticed there had been quite a bit repair work done along the river bank and the machinery they used had been in the river. The river was certainly different here now to what it was the last time I fished here. They have widened it quite a lot mainly to help spread the flow for the coming Winter I would think.
IMG_3871 (Medium).JPG
River much wider here now..
Any way I hopped in the river and started flicking the little gold Aglia around in the very dark tannin coloured water, as dark as it was I could still see the gold spinner working as I retrieved it. Now all I want is for a trout to spot it too. This didn't happen until I had moved further upstream and well away from where the work on the river bank had been done. It was in a shallow fast water run where I had my first brown on and not long after that I had my second brown in hand. These two trout weren't all that big just the typical Dasher River browns that were around 270 grams each in weight. They were still a couple of well conditioned fish all the same and beautifully coloured too as most Dasher River fish are.
IMG_3872 (Medium).JPG
Spinning a shallow fast water run..
IMG_3877 (Medium).JPG
One of two small browns taken in the shallow run..
IMG_3878 (Medium).JPG
Looking back downstream.. no fish taken there..
It was a little slow going over the next one hundred meters with just two more browns caught and released. Good thing was those two browns were nice solid fish with the best going 480 grams and the other a solid 430 gram fish. These were above the average size for the Dasher River and more than likely are fish getting ready for the coming spawning season. This time of year is when this little river gives up some nice size browns as they make there way upstream to spawn near the end of May and into June. As the rain days increase this little river really fires up with the trout fishing as they will take what ever is thrown at them as they fatten up for the Winter ahead. So hopefully we get plenty of rain before the season ends on April 30. Getting back to the fishing, over the next fifty meters of river I did catch and release another three medium size browns to end the session with seven trout caught and released in 90 minutes of fishing. I would loved to have fish on for longer but my time was up and I had to head back home. It was nice to finally get back in a river for a bit of a spin session even though it was a short one.
IMG_3880 (Medium).JPG
Couple of decent browns caught here..
IMG_3879 (Medium).JPG
Great colours in this brown,,
IMG_3882 (Medium).JPG
Beautifully coloured brown..
IMG_3884 (Medium).JPG
Last trout taken here..
IMG_3883 (Medium).JPG
All pure gold...
IMG_3887 (Medium).JPG
End of the road for me, time to get out and head for home..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Dylmiest

Re: Quick session gives up several wild brown trout...

Post by Dylmiest » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Beautiful mate, nothing better than a peaceful flick of a lure!

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:51 pm

Nice Adrian, how did the spotters fare comparatively to other shades you've used?

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:14 pm

Thanks guys..
the spotters were much better than my cheaper ($34-95) polarized sunnies.. These seemed to be heaps better, can't wait to see what they're like in a clear water river when I get the chance to fish one such as the Meander River. They have a special lense that changes with the light..
cheers
Adrian
Spotters Fury sunglasses...png
Spotters..
Spotters Fury sunglasses...png (149.79 KiB) Viewed 795 times
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:54 pm

awesome report and pictures must have been better vision with the spotters what camera is used to take the pictures

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:06 pm

It just a small compact Canon SX150IS PowerShot camera 14,1 megapixels & 12X optical zoom, have two of them.. one as a spare as I have a habit of drowning them from time to time. The spare one has been drowned three times and still works great, dry them out with the wife's hair dryer..
Great little camera that take very good pic's.. the one I'm using now I got from Cash Converters in WA for $88-00 which was like new a real bargain. also picked up one on Gumtree for $70-00 in as new condition, very easy to use in Auto or manual use. Can also video with it if need be. I do have a large Canon 700D that doesn't go any where near the rivers on a fishing session.. :-D
cheers
Adrian
Last edited by meppstas on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:39 pm

meppstas wrote:It just a small compact Canon SX150IS PowerShot camera 14,1 megapixels & 12X optical zoom, have two of them.. one as a spare as I have a habit of drowning them from time to time. The spare one has been drowned three times and still works great, dry them out with the wife's hair dryer..
Great little camera that take very good pic's.. the one I'm using now I got from Cash Converters in WA for $88-00 which was like new a real bargain. also picked up one on Gumtree for $70-00 in as new condition, very easy to to as Auto or manual use. Can also video with it if need be. I do have a large Canon 700D that doesn't go any where near the rivers on a fishing session.. :-D
cheers
Adrian
Thank,s Adrian they do take a great pic

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:19 pm

Just noticed the backdrop in the 2nd pic - stunning geographic scenery to gaze at in between casts! I am certain though you probably look at the photo and think that it doesn't do the real life experience justice!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:20 am

Great report and pics as always Adrian! :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:18 am

happyfriggincamper wrote:Just noticed the backdrop in the 2nd pic - stunning geographic scenery to gaze at in between casts! I am certain though you probably look at the photo and think that it doesn't do the real life experience justice!
That is Mt. Roland in the background, the view is certainly a great one when fishing this in area..

cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”