Two hook ups & one trout in 40 minute stint..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Two hook ups & one trout in 40 minute stint..

Post by meppstas » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:46 pm

Two hook ups & one trout in 40 minute stint. 12-4-17

I was hoping to have a bit if a late spin session on the Mersey River with Strike&Hook member “Drawn” after he finished working in Devonport today. We were to meet up at Hoggs Bridge at Merseylea around 4:30 pm and hopefully get a couple of hours in before it became too dark. This time of year in Tassie it's dark just after 6:00 pm, so we'll get a quick session in & Andrew will get some idea of fishing a Tassie river in beautiful surrounds. Well I'm afraid it didn't happen for him because he couldn't get away from work until the job was finished so he couldn't make it in time. Not being allowed to have his mobile phone on due to working at the refinery he couldn't phone me until he had finished work. Not knowing this at the time I waited at Hoggs Bridge until 4:45 pm before deciding to have a quick 40 minute session then head off home.
Mersey River below Hoggs Bridge, Merseylea. 12-4-17 (Medium).JPG
River still very low for this time of year..

The river was still very low here and also a little on the cloudy side due to work being done on a new replacement bridge further upstream. I entered the river around half a kilometer downstream from where I had parked the car and started working a nice shallow fast water run with the little well used gold Aglia. Using the cast and drift method, I think it was on the third or forth cast I was onto a solid brown which tossed the spinner as quick as it hit it. Not impressed at all and said a few harsh words to myself for using the old spinner that was really past it's use by date. I decided to stick with it until the end of this short session then start afresh with a new one on my next trip with this rod & reel.
Looking upstream at Hoggs Bridge, Mersey River. 12-4-17 (Medium).JPG
Looking upstream where I entered the river..
Hooked & lost a trout here, Mersey River. 12-4-17 (Medium).JPG
Hooked & lost a trout here..
A quick rub over the treble hooks with the small sharpening stone I flicked the spinner into a deeper man made fast water run. It was made for the irrigation pump up on the river bank and had a nice sweet flat piece of water next to the river bank. That's where I flicked the lure into then let it drift with the flow, it didn't take any longer that fifteen seconds before it was fish on. After a good battle with the brown I soon had it in the net, it was a well conditioned fish too. A quick photo and then weighing it while still in the net it went 510 grams after deducting the weight of the net which is 400 grams. This net I'm using has a shallow mesh and is 10 grams lighter than the other net I normally use. I fished on for another twenty five minutes before reaching a deep long stretch of river, it was here I decided to call it a day. I could have bypassed this six or seven hundred meter stretch or river to reach the shallow fast water but by that time it would have been to dark to carry on. I was reasonably happy catching the one brown today as it saved me from getting my first “donut” for the season.
One & only trout caught & released, Mersey River. 12-4-17 (Medium).JPG
One & only trout caught & released..
Gold aglia did the job, Mersey River at Merseylea. 12-4-17 (Medium).JPG
Head shot of the brown..
Solid brown caught in fast water, Mersey River. 12-4-17 (Medium).JPG
Man made stretch where the brown was taken..
When I arrived home there was a message on the answering machine from Andrew apologising for not making it to the river, he also sent an email as well which was nice of him to do so. I replied, these things can't be helped and not to worry about it, hopefully he may get back here again one day and we'll get that trip in.
Weather moving in, Mersey River at Merseylea. 12-4-17 (Medium).JPG
Looked like a bit of weather moving in..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Toady king

Re: Two hook ups & one trout in 40 minute stint..

Post by Toady king » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:04 pm

Looks like it was worth it just to get out of the house and enjoy the river

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Toady king wrote:Looks like it was worth it just to get out of the house and enjoy the river
That it was for sure.. 40 minutes in a river is always nicer than staying at home.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Toady king

Post by Toady king » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:36 pm

meppstas wrote: That it was for sure.. 40 minutes in a river is always nicer than staying at home.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
Yup I feel the same. If it's not pissing down rain, im outside either fishing or at tackle shops planning on fishing haha

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:37 pm

Ha was just going to ask how you went in pic 6 then seen your coment prime spot there for trout

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:06 am

dazz999 wrote:Ha was just going to ask how you went in pic 6 then seen your coment prime spot there for trout
Actually flicked the spinner to the small flat water to the left close to the river bank just below that fast water run..

Did think about finally keeping one for the smoker, but decided not to. Being a hen fish it would have been full of roe now..

cheers
Adrian

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:32 am

Enjoyed the read mate. Great pics as always :thumbsup:

Return to “Tasmania”