Eleven wild brown trout & the 600th for the season..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Tue May 02, 2017 2:09 pm

Still needing three more trout before the 2016/17 season closes this coming Sunday I thought I'd better go and hop in the river river to see if I can pick up the three trout required to reach my seasons target. We had some very good rains a few days ago so the rivers should be flowing really well now and the trout will certainly be out and about as well. This time of year they are quite aggressive and will take just about any type of spinner or lure thrown at them. Once at the river and having a thirty minute chat with a landowner I was soon in the river flicking the little spinner around. Today I started off with a Mepps #00 gold Aglia Mouche Noire as I feel this will do well in the tannin coloured water that I'm fishing. It only took two casts before I had my first fish on, like I have been doing lately I lost it once it leaped from the river.
Dark tannin waters...JPG
Dark tannin waters..
I wasn't overly concerned about losing it because it was a good sign that they're here and on the take. The next two casts in the same stretch of river resulted in two nice browns caught and released. Feeling really confident now of catching the third trout I flicked the spinner upstream into the dark tannin water and had a bow wave rapidly appear behind the lure as I retrieved it downstream. That bow wave stayed behind the lure to within three meters of me before it finally took it. This was a nice fish too and it went from one side of the river to the other in no time at all as well as making several leaps before it tossed the spinner. Oh I was so close to having that fish in the net and the 600th trout on the scoreboard. Well, I'll pushed on because I knew it wouldn't be long before I'll have another brown take the spinner the way's it's going. It was quicker than expected, the first cast into the next small stretch of water gave up the fish required to reach my season's target. Trout number 600 was in the net photographed and back in the water like a flash. It was a good feeling reaching the target four days before the closure of the trout season.
Aglia Mouche Rouge & wild brown trout.(Medium).JPG
Aglia Mouche & wild brown trout
Nice brown taken here..(Medium).JPG
Nice brown taken here.
IMG_4003 (Medium).JPG
another nice brown..
No.599 for the 2016-17 season. (26-4-17) (Medium).JPG
599 for the season..
Trout No. 600 for the 2016-17 season.  (26-4-17) (Medium).JPG
Number 600 is in the net..

Now I can fish on without the pressure of catching a trout and that's what I did. I fished another six stretches of river, some were tight narrow runs whereas a couple of others were a little wider and more open. All bar one of those areas gave up trout. I caught and released another eight beautiful well conditioned wild browns with the best fish going 670 grams. The last four browns where taken on a gold #00 Aglia Mouche Rouge spinner which isn't all that different to the Noire, the one I was using for most of the session. The only difference is the fly on the treble hook is brown with a red tag and not black with red tag, not that the fly colours had anything to do with catching the trout in such dark tannin water any way. It was the gold blade & the vibration of it that attracted them to it. Then it was just a matter of working the spinner in a way to get them to take it. I did hook and lose two other browns while fishing those last few runs. In all it was a good session and one that finished up in very cold conditions once the sun started to set at 5:20pm. This little river that flows into the Leven River in the Gunns Plains area certainly holds some trout at this time f year and is well worth the 50 minute drive to get there.
670 grams of muscle. (Medium).JPG
670 grams of muscle,,
Eleventh wild brown trout of the session. (26-4-17) (Medium).JPG
The eleventh trout of the day..
cheers
Adrian
Last edited by meppstas on Tue May 02, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Paulanderson
Has liked: 60 times

Re: Eleven wild browns trout & the 600th for the season..

Post by Paulanderson » Tue May 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Congratulations on the 600 th trout and more! Some very pretty wild Browns there and it is interesting to see the different markings.

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Tue May 02, 2017 3:19 pm

Well done on the 600 Adrian, a few more to make last years numbers!
quid est quod eum

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 02, 2017 3:32 pm

Congrats on your 600th mate! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:43 pm

Congrats mate :cheers:

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue May 02, 2017 4:55 pm

Average start to the season.

That male brown in the 2nd last pic has great colours

Cheers bn

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Tue May 02, 2017 6:25 pm

Thanks guys, well down on last season but still happy with the end result.. still have three reports to come which I'll spread out over a week or so..
The last day of the season (Sunday 30th) report is one of them and probably worth waiting for... ;-)

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Re: Eleven wild brown trout & the 600th for the season..

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue May 02, 2017 10:05 pm

Congrats Adrian - nice work scoping out some smaller water and well rewarded! Cheers for the post

Return to “Tasmania”