Not one of my better days...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Not one of my better days...

Post by meppstas » Fri May 05, 2017 4:58 pm

This is the third to last trip of my 2016-17 trout season, only two more reports to be posted...

Not one of my better days on the Meander River..
IMG_4019 (Medium).JPG
Calm conditions on the river..
IMG_4021 (Medium).JPG
No fish here..

Not having fished the Meander River since the 31st March I thought it's time I went back there and give it a go. By the time a got there then walked for some 1.5 kms before I hopped in the river it was 10:35 am, not that it really matters at this time of year any way. The river was the lowest I have seen it since the Hyrdo turbine broke down back in 2012, not only that, there was still plenty of the cotton like green algae covering most of the river bottom. Any way I started the session off using a gold black fury and fished a couple of sections of river for just the one hit and miss. I did notice a few trout on the rise in the next long slow flowing stretch of river so I changed over to the small floating Daiwa ghost brown hard body lure. It took several cast before I had my first take, it wasn't hooked well enough to stay on. That was the only hit over that whole long stretch of river until I moved into a shorter slow and deeper piece of water and it was here I caught two browns in a row. Not big fish, just a couple of nice well conditioned 320 gram browns.
IMG_4020 (Medium).JPG
First trout caught here..
Brown & Daiwa ghost brown lure..JPG
Small Daiwa ghost brown lure that did the job..
First of six for the day.(Medium).JPG
Finally a fish in the net..
The next stretch of river was a narrow fast water run of some 30 metres, three casts later I caught a solid 480 gram brown that fought all the way to the net. This was a beautifully coloured fish too and in top condition. Three trout caught in a row, a trout hat trick for a change on the Meander River which doesn't happen all that often for me on this river. Well that was it for quite some time because I lost the next two fish in that run, then lost one more in the following stretch of river too. I was starting to get sick and tired of the green algae fouling the little lure on just about every cast now with the water being so low. I was so ticked off at one stage I slammed the lure on the water to get rid of the algae and in doing so broke the bib off the last of my three Daiwa lures. How dumb was that, killed the last of my good trout catching lures. So it was back to the Mepps black fury from here on and this time it was the copper blade that I decided to use now the sun is full on the water. Even that little lure was getting fouled up from time to time and I was getting more frustrated as the session went on. The only good thing was that I did manage to catch three more small browns over the next three hundred meters of river from seven hook ups. Having been in the river for two and a half hours I new the fishing wasn't going to get any better than what I had already been through so I pulled the pin and called it a day. Today wasn't one of my better days on the Meander River, it also wasn't one of my worst either..
IMG_4027 (Medium).JPG
Best fish taken here..
Best brown of the session.(Medium).JPG
The best brown of the morning..
One brown caught here..JPG
One small brown caught here..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

TheLoneTurtle

Re: Not one of my better days...

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Fri May 05, 2017 7:49 pm

Atleast you got onto some fish. Good job :)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri May 05, 2017 8:02 pm

Enjoyed the read like always. That brown in the second to last pic is a beauty! Great pics :thumbsup:

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sat May 06, 2017 9:42 am

Lightningx wrote:Enjoyed the read like always. That brown in the second to last pic is a beauty! Great pics :thumbsup:
Thanks guys,,
That brown in the photo LX was in excellent condition too and like you said " is a beauty " You know I say it wasn't one of my better days on the Meander but in saying that I always expect more each & every trip I go on and that's just not the Meander River either.. Still just being on a river is good and I shouldn't have such high expectations of what I want on the day.. Have to sit down and have a good talk to myself.. :-D

cheers
Asdrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “Tasmania”