Small stream gives up a few more browns..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Small stream gives up a few more browns..

Post by meppstas » Mon May 08, 2017 11:23 am

This is my second to last trip of the season..

Small stream gives up a few more browns. 29-4-17

With just the two days of the 2016/17 trout season left I'm giving the small streams a go as they'll be full of well conditioned aggressive trout by now. Well that's how I see it any way. It was another afternoon session in another stretch of river that I have never fished before and one that I have all to myself thanks to the land owner of the property ( Gunns Plains ) that the stream runs through. I hit the river at 2:00pm today and the first thing I noticed was the water was a very dark tannin colour with good flow. I started off flicking the spinner into a deepish pool without having a touch or a follow from a trout. Of course I'm always expecting a trout each and every time I fish a river right from the start. I'm always ready to set the hooks with every retrieve, that's just the way I am with my trout fishing and always have been.
Scenic stretch of  River. 29-4-17 (Medium).JPG
First time here..
Moved onto the next stretch of river which was narrow and reasonably shallow, it was here I had my first take on the second cast. Like most of my trips this season it tossed the spinner with the first two head shakes. I wasn't really all that crabby with that outcome because I'm used to it happening now and I know it won't be too long before I'll have a fish in the net. The next two small runs the same thing happened, hard fast attacks on the spinner but they didn't stay hooked. I was now into a shaded long shallow stretch of water and it wasn't long before I was onto another brown, this time the fish made it into the net. A few casts later I hooked and lost another brown so I decided it was time for change of lures. The water here was around 500-600 mms deep so I went with the F-3 Rapala in a rainbow patten and it worked a treat. Over three hundred meters of river I picked up another five beautiful well conditioned browns from six hook ups. There are quite a lot of trout in this little stream and they're all in an aggressive mood which is great.
Solid brown taken here (29-4-17) (Medium).JPG
Solid brown taken here..
One fat brown. 29-4-17 (Medium).JPG
One fat brown..
golden brown. 29-4-17 (Medium).JPG
Nice trout..
Nice red spots on the brown . 29-4-17 (Medium).JPG
And another..
A couple of trout caught here,  29-4-17 (Medium).JPG
Couple of trout taken here..
I've decided to fish another four hundred meters of river before the sun sets then I'll head back here tomorrow and start again from where I finish up today. I'll still have plenty of the stream left to fish for a few hours on Sunday. I was now into some heavy covered river and it was also shallow so it was back to the little gold Aglia Mouche Noire spinner for the rest of the session. It did the job once again and this time I only lost the one trout from seven hook ups as well as having quite a few hit and misses.
So my three & a half hour afternoon session turned out to be a good one with a dozen lovely coloured wild browns caught and released. With just the one session left tomorrow I'll have three months to get right for the 2017-18 season, one I hope will be as good as this one has been up until now.
Lovely gold colour in this brown 29-4-17 (Medium).JPG
Golden coloured brown..
Narrow stretch of dark tannin water. (29-4-17) (Medium).JPG
Narrow stretch of very dark tannin water..
Solid brown on Aglia. (29-4-17) (Medium).JPG
Solid fish this one..
cheers
Adrian
Last edited by meppstas on Mon May 08, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Nuscani

Re: Small stream gives up a few more browns..

Post by Nuscani » Mon May 08, 2017 12:06 pm

Great report Adrian as well as some nice browns mate! :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:31 pm

Well done
great read and report

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 08, 2017 12:33 pm

Great report mate. Enjoyed the read. Really nice pics as always :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Mon May 08, 2017 1:49 pm

Thanks guys,
With the season now closed I'm as bored as ever, been outside doing a bit of pruning in a sunny windless day and was thinking what a great day to be on a river... Aaaaauugh!! :tease:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon May 08, 2017 8:17 pm

How come you don't hit up any lakes in the off season Adrian?

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Mon May 08, 2017 9:11 pm

You're correct about them being lovely coloured all right. Well done on a great season. Excellent pics and write up.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Mon May 08, 2017 9:17 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:How come you don't hit up any lakes in the off season Adrian?
Too much water between the fish for my liking fishing the lakes, sometimes I'll head over to Lake Barrington near Sheffield if & when they drop off a couple of hundred 5gk - 8 kg Atlantic Salmon in it. Otherwise I'll just stay home in the warm and hibernate until 5th August, even then it's still bloody freezing here.. :-D Not only that it gives the old body a chance to get right for the coming season too.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”