Good spin session in tannin waters...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Good spin session in tannin waters...

Post by meppstas » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:48 pm

Good spin session in tannin waters.. 22-9-17

The conditions this morning looked okay with a maximum of 14 degrees, mainly overcast and a light North Westerly breeze with a change late this afternoon.. Given that we haven't had rain for a couple of days I thought a trip to a tannin water was worth a go. So it was off to the upper reaches of the Mersey River again to hit the little tannin stream while it still has some good flow in it.. Not only that, I can give the 5'6'' Daiwa Presso ULS (see my last report) a good workout in it too.. It was a pretty late start because I didn't hit the water until just on 11:00 am not that it mattered all that much with it being mainly overcast, plus the water is still pretty cold. Besides, there's no need to rush any way I have all day..
IMG_4592 (Medium).JPG
Beautiful tannin water..
The stream had a good flow of water in it so I'm hoping it will give up a few trout this trip like it has done my previous trips. I started off flicking a small gold Aglia around and had a hit and miss in quick time which was a good sign. Well that was it for the next ten minutes, all I had was a few follows, the trout weren't in a gold Aglia mood at all. I thought I would give the F3 Rapala gold/black hard body now, this one did well up here last time. That lure was no better than the gold blade Aglia spinner so I changed to a small Atomic ghost gill brown, it wasn't all that long before it picked up the first trout that hit it. Three casts later I had another brown take it only to lose it on it's first leap from the water, this happened again on the next hook up as well.
IMG_4601 (Medium).JPG
First brown taken on the ghost gill brown lure..
IMG_4602 (Medium).JPG
Beautiful colours in this brown..
That was enough for me to go for the small Daiwa Yoguri ghost brown lure now, a lure that I know is very deadly on the trout. I didn't really want to use it in the dark tannin water because I couldn't see where the snags were and I was worried about losing it in this little stream because it is full of them. It didn't bother me using it in the shallow runs, it was the deep runs that was the worry. Any way I took the risk and used it, the lure worked a treat. The first small run I picked up two browns in three casts with the best trout going 540 grams. This continued on over the next six stretches of water, I caught and released five more nice well conditioned browns. I had now been in the water for an hour and a quarter for a total of eight browns caught and released.
IMG_4611 (Medium).JPG
Brown taken here, an area that will swallow a lure as quick as ever too..
IMG_4606 (Medium).JPG
First on the Daiwa lure..
IMG_4615 (Medium).JPG
And another one on the Daiwa..
I decided I wanted to catch and release at least four more browns to make it a dozen for the trip. After another hour and a half of fishing I picked up six more browns from ten hook ups and several hit and misses before I called it a day at 1:45 pm give or take a few minutes either way. The day ended with fourteen browns being caught in total which made for a very good time spent in this small tannin coloured stream. The little Presso 5'6'' ULS rod was perfectly suited to this tight water too.
IMG_4613 (Medium).JPG
Good stretch of water..
IMG_4631 (Medium).JPG
Solid brown..
IMG_4628 (Medium).JPG
One of fourteen for the session..
IMG_4635 (Medium).JPG
Last brown taken here..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Good spin session in tannin waters...

Post by Lightningx » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:23 pm

Great report and pics as always mate! Sounds like you had a top session.
What's the tally up to for this season so far?

Thomassssss

Post by Thomassssss » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:54 pm

Great work Adrian.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:14 pm

Lightningx wrote:Great report and pics as always mate! Sounds like you had a top session.
What's the tally up to for this season so far?
Only had the twelve trips so far this season for a tally of 80 trout, all brown trout so far.. the last four trips have given up 51 trout.. :thumbsup:

hopefully get into a few rainbows once the Mersey River drops in level.
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:18 pm

Your pics tell a good story-Well Done

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:21 pm

Another great report & pics :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:57 am

See you are not really addicted Adrian - you arrived late and left early! Thanks for the great pics yet again! :water:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks guys,
There's one thing I have forgotten to mention in my trout reports and that's what to check on when using hard body lures with fine 4 lb mono line. After every fish caught I do a tug and pull test with the lure and line. At only takes a few seconds and may well save you losing your lure as well as what may be your PB fish too.. All I do is to hold the lure in one hand, grip the line around 60 cms (or 2 feet) above the lure and give it a few tugs and that's it. The reason I do this when using hard body lures is because a hooked trout will roll and this quite often causes the line to slip into the gill cover which can put a small knick in the line & that's all it will take to break the line on the next fish. Also the line can be damaged by the line being hooked up on one of the treble hooks or even by its teeth if it becomes tangle in it's mouth during a roll. Even if you are fishing with a heavier line I would advise you to still keep a check on it. When using the Mepps spinners with the anti-kink set up I still keep a check on the 6 lb mono trace as well as it can and does become damaged after a while. But know where near as quick as when using hard body lures. ;-)

cheers
Adrian
Always pays to check the line after every fish caught.4622 (Medium).JPG
Always pays to do the tug & pull test after every fish caught.
IMG_4623 (Medium).JPG
This line snapped with the lightest of tugs on the line..

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:33 am

Thanks Adrian, loved it

Gra

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:49 pm

Thanks guys, haven't been since either.. bloody weathers gone sour again.. rivers are running high again.. :down:
The red line on the chart below shows when the Meander River is safe enough to hop in & wade.. The 12th was the first & last trip so far for this trout season... sick of this bloody weather.. :( Looks like I'll be checking out the small tannin streams & creeks again in a day or two..

cheers
Adrian
FlowGraph_MEANDER (2).jpg
Meander River chart today..

Return to “Tasmania”