A few trout caught in very windy conditions..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

A few trout caught in very windy conditions..

Post by meppstas » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:11 pm

A few trout caught in very windy conditions.

I was a little put off from having a spin session today because of the cold windy conditions but in the end it got the better of me, so off I headed to the river. I arrived at the river just before 2:00 pm and still wondered if it was too windy for a spin session, then decided I would give it a go. Casting the light weight lures was going to be quite a challenge in this tight water that's for sure. Once in the river and being just below the top of the river bank it wasn't all the bad as the wind seemed to be more overhead. The first cast soon showed me that the wind was going to have an effect on the fishing and casting.
Narrow fast water run.._4836 (Medium).JPG
Narrow fast water run, wind created havoc casting here..
As the small 1.5 gram gold Aglia went through the air at a height of 2.5-3.0 meters it caught the wind and lucky for me it did lob in the river, but only just. So now it's a matter of adjusting the cast in the wind with this little spinner, which I did. From then on it was all good except for when the wind turned and came face on. After fishing a couple of small sections of water I finally had my first little (270 gm) wild brown trout take the spinner and after a short battle with this little fella it was soon back in the river. Five minutes later I was onto another nice river brown and that one also made it to the net. After that fish it all went quiet and all I managed was a few follows and no takers.
Nice little 310 gm brown._4838 (Medium).JPG
Nice little river brown..
Mepps Aglia & brown trout._4834 (Medium).JPG
Brown taken on the aglia spinner..
Trout lured from shaded area under bush,,_4835 (Medium).JPG
Trout lured from shaded area of tea tree..
I changed over to the ever reliable little Daiwa ghost brown as it's picked up quite a few trout here before. Well, that little hard body did suck in two trout in quick time but both fish tossed the lure. That made for another change of lure, this time I went for a new Atomic ghost brown shad4 floating mid diving lure. It's mainly used for bream fishing, it's one of three I bought to try out on the trout last season but didn't get around to it. The very first cast into a medium flowing stretch of water it was taken in a flash by a nice brown and one that fought all the way to the net. Two casts later in
that same piece of water I was onto another fish, that one also made it to the net. The lure seems to be very well liked by the trout which is great to see as it's another weapon I have in my arsenal for them now.
Atomic ghost brown & brown trout._4843 (Medium).JPG
Ghost brown lure get's the trout going..
Ghost brown Shad & Daiwa Crest 2004H reel.. (Medium).JPG
Changed to the new lure..
Another brown caught here.._4841 (Medium).JPG
Another brown caught here..
I had to get out of the river to get around a massive log jam that was just a little too large for me to climb over. Once on the scrubby river bank and just as I was about to head back down into the river I came across a large Tiger snake that made the blood rush a little faster than it had been doing. Thankfully it went to my left which was good because I was heading to the right to get back into the river. The next two sections of river the trout just came at it hard and fast and I caught and released another two browns in quick time. The wind had become much stronger now and was coming straight down this little river, not only that it was getting very cold as well. I made my mind up to give it another fifteen minutes before calling it a day and I'm glad I did as I picked up two more medium size browns. I was quite happy in catching and releasing eight nice river browns in just under two hours in the river. I would loved to have pushed on, but that cold wind just wasn't worth putting up with. There's always another day to come
back here isn't there..
IMG_1132 (Medium).JPG
The Tiger snake that I spotted..
Trout number eight for the day._4844 (Medium).JPG
Trout number 8 for the day..
Two brown caught here.._4839 (Medium).JPG
Two trout picked up here..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Re: A few trout caught in very windy conditions..

Post by Paulanderson » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Great pics and some very pretty trout Adrian.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:23 pm

Great colors in trout number 8 :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks guys, you can't beat the colours of the browns that live in tannin water, they're just beautifully coloured fish..
here's another from a short spin session today, only a little fella but great colour..

cheers
Adrian
Beautifully coloured Dasher River brown trout. _4913 (Medium).JPG
Beautifully coloured little Dasher River brown
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

otway

Post by otway » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:56 pm

:thumbsup:

Return to “Tasmania”