Meander River fishes better this trip...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Meander River fishes better this trip...

Post by meppstas » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:28 am

Meander River fishes much better this trip....

I had every intention of heading over to the Meander River this morning and was ready to head off at 6:00am. Just before I was about to leave I thought I would check the river level on the BOM site only to find the river was up by 90cms from last night which made it a little on the high side for a spin session where I was heading. So that was the end of my trip to the Meander River, then I decided to head over to Merseylea and fish upstream from the top bridge. Once there I found the wind was up and coming straight down the river, it was a pretty cold breeze too so I headed on back home. I was still feeling a little sore from yesterdays spin session in the Mersey River any way, so a rest today won't do me any harm at all.
Fishing-Cartoon jpg.jpg
Maybe I should sit back like this, I don't think so..
Fishing-Cartoon jpg.jpg (70.01 KiB) Viewed 443 times
As the day went on I had another check on the level of the Meander River and found it was falling, it had dropped 10cms already and was still dropping as the day went on. That reading was enough for me to head over there for a spin session after all. Once there I could see it was still a little on the high side but safe enough for wading which was good to see. I was in the river just on 1:30 and started flicking the little ghost brown hard body around in the clear water cool water. It took around eight casts before I had my first trout take the lure, a fish that was around 300 grams. I started working the lure down the right hand side of the river, this was the shaded side and I felt that's where the trout will be holding now the river's mostly in full sun. Working the shaded side worked a treat as I caught and released seven very nice solid browns from nine hook ups over roughly one hundred meters of river.
IMG_4882 (Medium).JPG
Beautiful calm conditions for now..
IMG_4876 (Medium).JPG
First of the day..
IMG_4880 (Medium).JPG
Followed by this one..
IMG_4883 (Medium).JPG
And then this one..
IMG_4887 (Medium).JPG
Seven browns caught & released along this stretch of river..

I never saw another fish for the next forty minutes of fishing until I came to another medium to fast flowing stretch of water where I picked up another solid brown. That was the only fish taken in that stretch of river until I reached the top end of it where I crossed the river where I was going to get out. It was there I spotted a small side water that flowed under a willow tree, I did a backhand cast into that small piece of water and had an instant hook up. It was another plump brown that took the little hard body lure, after a brief battle it soon tired and was in the net. After releasing that fish I made my way along the shallow side of the river for around fifty meters where I had to cross back over to make my way back to the car. I was half way across the river and thought I'd have a couple more casts while crossing the river. It was there I caught and released trout number eleven for the spin session, a great way to end the the afternoon in the Meander River.
IMG_4884 (Medium).JPG
Great colours in this brown..
IMG_4894 (Medium).JPG
Back hand cast into this small water sucked in another trout..
IMG_4897 (Medium).JPG
Number eleven taken here..
IMG_4896 (Medium).JPG
Number eleven for the day..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Meander River fishes better this trip...

Post by smile0784 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:25 pm

No harm on a rest day wen westher is not favouritable

Return to “Tasmania”