Trout fishing a little up & down today..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Trout fishing a little up & down today..

Post by meppstas » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:23 pm

Trout fishing a little up & down..

After having an off day in the Mersey River a few days ago, today I had an early start on the Meander River. I left home at 5:00 am and after reaching Meander then walking to where I started off the spin session it was just on 6:20 am when I had my first cast with the gold Aglia. The weather was perfect as it was quite mild and very overcast with some light rain on and off. The very first cast saw a bow wave appear behind the spinner for a short time before it disappeared, the same thing happened again two casts later. I made a change of lure and went for the Rapala F3 gold & black hard body as I felt it may be the one to go for. It only took three casts before the lure was taken hard and fast, the reel screamed as a solid brown leaped from the river and in doing so tossing the lure at the same time. It was then I realised I hadn't set the drag on the reel, it was still loose from when I finished fishing the last time I used it. So what would have been a great start to the session wasn't to be this morning.
Meander River.._5332 (Medium).JPG
Trout hooked & lost here..

I slowly fished my way upstream casting the lure close to the opposite river bank when I finally had my first brown well and truly hooked, one that went around 350 grams. The next stretch of river gave up a nice brown at the top end of it as well, that fish went 440 grams. Then I fished a small fast water that had a section of flat water to the right and picked up another solid brown. This fish took off downstream into a small set of rapids that flowed into the lower stretch of medium flowing before it tired and I had it in the net. It was a well conditioned 420 gram brown that was soon back in the river after a quick photo. Onto the next stretch of river which was much deeper and on the first cast & retrieve I had another brown smash the lure but lost it as it gave a massive head shake as it leaped from the river.
First of the morning, Meander River...5335 (Medium).JPG
First of the day..
Trout taken in the flat water close to river bank, Meander River..5338 (Medium).JPG
Trout taken in flat water near river bank..
Very nice Meander Brown..5343 (Medium).JPG
Second of the day..
Another, 3rd Meander River brown..5337 (Medium).JPG
Third one on the river bank..
Three casts later I had another take from a nice brown and this one played merry hell before I eventually had it in the net. This was a beautiful fish too that went 540 grams and it had really taken the lure in a way that it had not been able to close it's mouth. It has wedged the lure in between the upper & lower jaw somehow without being hooked, it was released unharmed thankfully. From here on it was a little quiet even though I did lose four more browns before I hooked the best fish of the day from a section of water near the opposite river bank. This brown was a 610 gram female and taken on a ghost brown hard body lure that I changed to after losing a few brown earlier on. That was the last trout caught for the morning too, though I did have several more follows but no takers. I called it a day at 9:40 am as the rain started to set in. After a fifteen minute walk back to the car the rain stopped and I did think about getting back in the river but decided not too.
Solid brown, Meander River..5342 (Medium).JPG
One greedy trout..
Greedy brown trout, Meander River..5341 (Medium).JPG
Rapala lure, really jammed in tight..
Trout picked up close to River bank, Meander River..5356 (Medium).JPG
Best trout of the day taken here..
Nice Meander River wild brown trout..5354 (Medium).JPG
Best brown of the session..
cheers
Adrian..
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

cantcatchem

Re: Trout fishing a little up & down today..

Post by cantcatchem » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:20 pm

All in all still a fairly good session, they scenery alone would have made it worth it :a_goodjob:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:53 pm

Nice report and pics as always Adrian :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:50 pm

Another great report

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi Adrian sounds like you had an enjoyable morning - those cloudy days with a shower now and again can make for some good fishing! Interesting you managed a trout with no hooks in it :cheers:

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks guys,
Yes that's spot on Paul, those type of days are what I love the best for trout fishing too..

As for the trout with no hooks in it, pretty lucky really & doubt that will happen again..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:23 pm

"From here on it was a little quiet even though I did lose four more browns before I hooked the best fish of the day" - meppstas

I wish my trout fishing was as quiet as yours! Great report once again

Cheers, Anth

Return to “Tasmania”