Fishing report East Coast

Tasmania Fishing Reports
Kosta7

Fishing report East Coast

Post by Kosta7 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:35 pm

Hi guys,

Excuse the long report but I wanted to share with you my experiences while fishing in Tasmania for the last 2 weeks.

This trip was specifically for fishing while camping and exploring mainly the East coast.

My first stop was at Kettering while visiting some friends. We had a quick flick at one of the piers and managed to get 4 lings. Dinner was sorted.

Next day I moved to Bruny Island. Camped at the Neck, right beside the beach. The fishing was really good and managed a few salmon with the biggest at 52cm. Also lots of sand flathead. Lastly managed to land a decent size skate. Unfortunately weather was turning really crap and had to find some accommodation. Not many options on the island and they were asking for ridiculous amount of money ($240/night for a single room in a motel). Not having many options, decided to head back to the main island, but not before a flick. Went to Adventure Bay and tried a little pier there...what a gem!!! It makes you the best squid angler. The pier itself it’s just black from all the ink. 5 casts 3 squids and bait was sorted for the next few days. Also caught a few leatheries and wrasses.

After a quick overnight stop at Snug ,I moved towards Port Arthur. Next stop was Fortescue Bay. What a magical place. White sand, crystal clear waters and camped on the bay with amazing views. Next to my camp there was a little jetty and decided to have a little flick. Massive wrasse (over 1kg), big leatherjackets, squid and silver trevally everywhere. But the best part was flicking metals for couta. They were going crazy...little ones (almost as big as the bait) but they were going for it. One stage I had the lure just above the water and they were jumping trying to get it... :P Later that day I had a flick from the beach and managed a few salmon and flatties.

Next stop was at Orford. Beautiful little town and the jetties always busy with boats going in and out. Fishing wise didn’t have so much luck only catching a few leatherjackets and silver trevs from the piers. At night fished the beach but only caught a few toadies and undersize flatties.

Next quick stop was at Friendly beaches at Freycinet Peninsula. Weather still really crap with non stop rain but still managed to fish for a couple of hours and hooked a couple of salmon.

Next quick stop on the way to St Helen’s was a little pier I found at Scamander while looking for a toilet. Bream, Flathead, salmon and mullet were everywhere. Using lamb chops or Flathead fillet as bait didn’t stop the fish from biting.

Last stop was at St Helen’s. I decided to stay at the caravan park, as by that stage I couldn’t take any more camping and weather was still horrible.

Tried a few different spots in George’s Bay and was always able to catch something. Wrasse, leatherjackets, KGW, silver trevally, bream, Flathead. The surf beaches on Bay of Fires were a bit slow but still produced after putting the hours. Swimcart was the most productive and it reminded me a lot of Kilcunda/Williamson’s with the deep drop off.

Last Thursday I decided to go to the same spot I tried the previous day. A little beach in Akaroa and fish the channel that runs into the bay...and boy I was in for a treat...I only used fresh salmon that I caught earlier that day and also put in a burley log. For 5hrs the fishing was none stop. 6 wrasse, 10 trevs, 1 flatty, 1 bream around 1.5kg and 45cm, 2 gummies around 90cm, a skate and an eagle ray. It was a hectic session and I was just pumping. Double hook ups, the rays making the reels scream, both gummies caught at the same time making the rods bend...fishing paradise. Funny thing the bream was caught on a running sinker with a 5/0 (30lb braid and 80lbs leader) and one of the gummies on a long shank 2/0...The bream made the surf rod bend and it was hard work to bring him in...honestly I thought I had a gummy or a big wrasse.

14 days in Tassie, today I had my first sessions where I didn’t catch anything. This morning I was throwing lures in a small lake for Atlantic Salmon...and just before I got into the Spirit at the mouth of the river.

It really saddens me when I compare LB fishing between VIC and Tassie. Victorian waters are overfished and I don’t think things will get better anytime soon.

Now that I have seen the “light” I am not looking forward to my fishless sessions. Maybe I should start targeting toadies...

Ps: everyone was so nice and friendly in Tassie. Always willing to help and offer advice...except Bruny...they were so rude and arrogant
Ps 2: didn’t see anything related to the Indigenous culture. It’s like they never existed on the island.
Ps3: the route from St Helen’s to Launceston via the A3 is just stunning!!!!
Attachments
29211163-03DD-4E4F-A76B-ED84B543B068.jpeg
44AF1A61-BF9C-4E3C-ACE7-A03828C8A596.jpeg
44AF1A61-BF9C-4E3C-ACE7-A03828C8A596.jpeg (48.57 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
7106511C-7D43-485B-B1A9-0C6AA177B0F1.jpeg
66F836BD-FDF6-444E-BAA6-7A55574E81DC.jpeg
66F836BD-FDF6-444E-BAA6-7A55574E81DC.jpeg (52.99 KiB) Viewed 1055 times

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Fishing report East Coast

Post by Lightningx » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:46 pm

Top report mate.
Sounds like that last Thursday’s session was awesome with 5 hours of non stop action! :thumbsup:

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:21 pm

It's magic that coastline. It feeds straight into the Tasman sea, throw in how far and wide the population is spread out and I reckon that makes the difference compared to back here.

And you're not wrong about the A3, I destroyed the rear suspension on my car being a wannabe targa tassie driver on my way back to Lonny from St Helen's.

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:12 pm

Now that's a great fishing trip, I feel like going to Tassie now. :thumbsup:

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:38 pm

Good to see you enjoyed your trip down here and had a ball on the East coast with the salt water fishing too.. Now you'll have to come back and see what the rest of Tassie has to offer as there's still plenty to see across the North as well as the West Coast.. I've never been to Bruny Island and I have heard they can be that way too, :down: , The rest of us are pretty okay though.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:58 pm

great read. its a top place tassie I used to get sent to hobart for a week at a time had some great fishing whilst I was there.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:23 am

Sounds like a awesome trip

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:55 am

**** I'd love to live down that way
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:05 am

Great report!
Excellent reference for any if us who may be heading that way.
Thanks for taking the time to write it up!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:06 am

Making me want to do a trip down there as well!

Return to “Tasmania”