Top morning river fishing for trout...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Top morning river fishing for trout...

Post by meppstas » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:21 pm

Top morning river fishing for trout..

Woke up to see the sky heavy with cloud cover so I headed off to the Meander River for a spin session in the fast water stretches. The river was up by some four inches which was good to see as it meant there could be some trout for the taking so to speak as I catch and release mine any way. I'm fishing a 1.5km stretch of river that can make or break most trout fishers but I've fished it plenty of time so I know where the easiest areas are. It's still tough and with the water being up it will be even tougher going & there's no room for mistakes, once you slip and fall in then you're going for a bumpy ride downstream. I've been lucky in all my years of river fishing I'm yet to fall in a fast water run and I don't intend too on this trip either. If I do fall in here it may well be my last fishing trip to a river...
Meander River..5681 (Medium).JPG
Areas like this, one never dares to enter..

Any way, I hit the river at 7:30 am in what was quite mild conditions, the river looked great with plenty of water coming down. At first I just stood on the river bank and flicked a Mepps #1 Aglia tiger spinner into a wide deep run to see if I could draw the attention of a trout. It only took a few casts before I felt a few light taps as I retrieved the spinner and spotted a small trout behind the lure. That was enough to change over to a Rapala f5 rainbow trout lure and see it that make get one to take it. Well I did had several light whacks on the lure before I felt a bit of weight on the line but no real pull or fight at all. Once I had the lure in sight I noticed a small fish on it and when the lure got closer to me I saw it was a small Redfin Perch. Now that's something I was expecting at all even though I have caught them here on the very odd occasion many years ago, it was quickly and humanely disposed of too..
Meander River..5682 (Medium).JPG
Deep run of good trout water that only gave up a red fin....
Meander River..5685 (Medium).JPG
An unusual catch for this area of the river..
After that I was off to the fast water as well as changing the lure over to a small bleeding tiger hard body. I cast the lure into a small flat water close to the river bank and instantly had a take and this brown made it to the net after doing it's best to toss the lure. Another five meters above that first small flat water was another small flat water, I flicked the hard body into it and had another take as soon as the lure hit the water. This brown made two leaps from the river as it darted downstream and headed right into the leaves and branches of a fallen gumtree. Well I didn't lose the lure, but I did lose the trout. That was the last trout taken for some time before I reached a deeper fast water run, one that needed plenty of care while making my way upstream. Over the following kilometer of river I managed to catch & release six solid browns from ten hook ups as well as several hit and misses. So this long fast water still held some nice fish with the majority of them in the 500-600 gram range. It was now time to try another 1.5 km stretch of river some five kilometers downstream from here and one that's a lot more friendly to fish.
Meander River..5687 (Medium).JPG
Trout taken from flat water close to river bank..
Meander River..5686 (Medium).JPG
First of several browns for the day..
Meander River..5692 (Medium).JPG
One slip here and there may be no return..
Meander River..5694 (Medium).JPG
Great colours in this brown..
It wasn't all that long when I was into fishing this stretch of fast and medium flowing water I had three follows from some solid browns but they wouldn't take the bleeding tiger hard body at all. It always amazes me with brown trout how quickly they'll go for one lure and not any others. Then later on they go off that one and will go for one that was tried earlier, they certainly are mind changers that's for sure and that's why I love chasing them. Any way back to the fishing, I did change the lure for the ghost brown one and that worked a treat. Over this 1.5 km stretch of river I caught and released another eight browns from eleven hook ups and like earlier on also had quite a few hit and misses. They were still a little fussy at times as I had to really suck them into taking the lure by stopping the lure as they came up behind it, then gave it a light jerk then let the lure drift with the flow and that's when they smashed it. The trout here were also in top condition and beautifully coloured as we near Autumn, the best brown went 680 grams. This trip was the best so far for the month of February with 15 browns caught & released, it took my season tally to 492 which I'm fairly happy with at this stage of the season. Surely with just seven days of February left I should reach the 500 mark and there's still two months of the season to go after that.
Meander River..5704 (Medium).JPG
Solid brown.. best of the day..
Meander River..5711 (Medium) (Mobile).JPG
Another quality brown..
Meander River..5713 (Medium).JPG
And another..
cheers
Adrian..

**PS: With Barra Mick heading down this way next Monday I'm hoping there will be a few around for him to catch too..
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Top morning river fishing for trout...

Post by Texas » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:30 pm

Great report and photos Adrian
BM loves a yabby in his diet coke
Cheers Gra

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:39 pm

Never seen a reddie in any of your reports mate but it had some nice colouration that's for sure. I'm chomping at the bit to go for a fish but Dad will need my constant help for at least the next few months but always glad to read your reports mate. :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:12 pm

Thanks guys.. Yabbies, they're here but it's illegal to catch them as a lot of people can't tell the difference in a yabby too a small freshwater lobster which is a protected species and come with a $10K fine for each lobster found in one's possession.. Red fin are mainly in the lower reaches of the river, this is only the third one I've caught here.. Marty you've certainly had your hands full mate, hope your Dad's health picks up very soon too and you can get out for a fish....
cheers
Adrian
Last edited by meppstas on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Great report and pics as always :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:22 pm

Awsome report again.
Great pics

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:36 pm

A great day Adrian, very different colours across the selection of browns for the day.
quid est quod eum

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:41 am

Top Job Adrian, cheers davo :thumbsup:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:46 pm

Great stuff mate. Out of interest, its hard to gauge, for me, but whats the average weight of those fish?

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:09 am

The majority of the trout were between 500 & 600 grams... only three were under 500 grams, they were 420, 430 & 470 gram fish..
I weigh them with digital scales while in the net then deduct the net weight off the total weight. My small net weighs 390 grams..
so the average wt all up of the 14 tout = 520 grams.. It's always hard to judge the weight of a fish by a photo, same as a lot of fisho's hold a fish in hand and guess the weight, nine times out of ten they're well over what they say or think it is..

cheers
Adrian.

Return to “Tasmania”