Gold Aglia gets the trout going..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Gold Aglia gets the trout going..

Post by meppstas » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:58 am

'' Mepps Gold Aglia gets the trout going''..

After two days of gale force winds the weather turned around for the better today, it was around 11:30 am when the wind eased off to a SSE at 16 kph which was enough to have me heading off to the upper reaches of the Mersey for a spin session. I had lunch first before I left and arrived at the river at 1:10 pm, I had a fairly decent walk to where I was going to start the spin session. It was 1:55 pm when I was finally in the river and started flicking the little Mepps #00 gold Aglia around amongst the fast water that flowed between the rocks. It was 2:01 pm when I had my first brown in the net, that was followed with another two browns caught and released in quick time too.. The second brown was caught and in the net at 2:04 pm and the third one was in the net at 2:13 pm, how I know that is by the time that's set by the camera when a photo is taken. So with three trout caught and released in twelve minutes I couldn't have had a better start to the session.
Mersey River, Liena.. 5931 (Medium).JPG
Tough walk to reach the river..
Mersey River, Liena.. 5934 (Medium).JPG
Couple of browns taken here in quick time..
Mersey River, Liena.. 5933 (Medium).JPG
First of the session..
Mersey River, Liena.. 5935 (Medium).JPG
and the second brown..
They were the only three taken in the short fast water run before I picked up two more in a wide and long stretch of medium to shallow water. The forth trout was caught at the bottom end of it in a shallow run and the fifth brown was taken on a Pontoon 21 GagaGoon hard body (gold perch) at the top end of this stretch of water at 2:41 pm. The reason I slipped the gold perch lure on was because I lost two browns on the Aglia so I thought I'd try the Pontoon 21 lure. After catching that brown I was back into the fast water runs so it was back to the gold Aglia once again. I was using the cast and drift method in a few of the wider fast water runs and picked up a couple more browns and then it went quiet for the next couple of hundred meters before I picked up three more nice well conditioned trout from four hook ups. It was just after I had caught my eleventh trout in a small fast water run when I decided to call it a day at 5:10 pm. It was a fairly good few hours spent on the river in an area I hadn't fished for quite some time. The trout weren't large at all with the best brown going 420 grams and the smallest one 310 grams. One thing I did notice was how much colder the water was now compared to a couple of weeks ago..
Mersey River, Liena.. 5937 (Medium).JPG
Solid brown.
Mersey River, Liena.. 5938 (Medium).JPG
Gold Perch lure catches another brown..
Mersey River, Liena.. 5942 (Medium).JPG
Solid fish..
Mersey River, Liena.. 5943 (Medium).JPG
Fast water that held trout..
Mersey River, Liena.. 5948 (Medium).JPG
Trout No. 11 for the session..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Gold Aglia gets the trout going..

Post by Lightningx » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:55 pm

Not a bad session at all when it only takes 6 minutes to land your first fish and finish with a total of 11!
Great report and pics as always mate :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:10 pm

Another great report
Good effort mate

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:44 am

Thanks guys, would be great if every spin session was like that.. :-D :-D

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:08 am

Great stuff Adrian
Cheers Gra

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:15 pm

Beautiful fish, even a flash of red on the adipose fins on a couple! Are they stocked or natural recruitment there? Either way they're a lovely breed colour wise.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:44 pm

Brownie wrote:Beautiful fish, even a flash of red on the adipose fins on a couple! Are they stocked or natural recruitment there? Either way they're a lovely breed colour wise.
Thanks Gra & Brownie, they're all natural wild brown trout, the IFS (Inland Fisheries) rely on self recruitment in the rivers and very rarely stock them,, If and when they do put a few fish in a river it's normally when a river has had a large fish kill due to low & warm water levels.. even then they will often leave that river to slowly come back which can take three to five years at times.. The trout that do get put into a river are all Adult wild browns from Great Lake that are ready to spawn and are placed in a river once the brown trout season is closed.. Around 400 is the most that have been released into each river when needed. I know they did put some in the Mersey River after the record June 2016 floods as well as the Leven River here in the North of Tasmania. Those two rivers are very popular fisheries, small rivers, streams & creeks are all self recruitment and are never stocked..

cheers
Adrian

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:06 pm

meppstas wrote:
Brownie wrote:Beautiful fish, even a flash of red on the adipose fins on a couple! Are they stocked or natural recruitment there? Either way they're a lovely breed colour wise.
Thanks Gra & Brownie, they're all natural wild brown trout, the IFS (Inland Fisheries) rely on self recruitment in the rivers and very rarely stock them,, If and when they do put a few fish in a river it's normally when a river has had a large fish kill due to low & warm water levels.. even then they will often leave that river to slowly come back which can take three to five years at times.. The trout that do get put into a river are all Adult wild browns from Great Lake that are ready to spawn and are placed in a river once the brown trout season is closed.. Around 400 is the most that have been released into each river when needed. I know they did put some in the Mersey River after the record June 2016 floods as well as the Leven River here in the North of Tasmania. Those two rivers are very popular fisheries, small rivers, streams & creeks are all self recruitment and are never stocked..

cheers
Adrian
That sounds like pretty healthy systems there mate. So many fish with next to no need to stock. That's awesome. We'd be fishing for just reddies where I am if they didn't stock. Typical lake stockings where I am are in the thousands. Hats of to fisheries here though, they do a great job stocking and giving us a reason to wet a line.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:51 am

The IFS do stock the lakes here with thousands of fish too as the highland lakes are so popular with trout fishing.. As for the Victorian Fisheries they have been doing an excellent job with the stocking of native fish there too which is great to see... Plus they've been putting quite a few trout in the waters as well..

cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”