Another tough few hours in the river...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Another tough few hours in the river...

Post by meppstas » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:16 am

Another tough few hours in the river..

Headed off to the Meander River again today to fish the fast water stretch above the Meander Bridge only to find that there were already a couple fishing the river when I arrived. I was having a later start than normal so it was my own fault for not heading off earlier any way. Knowing that there's still plenty of other fast water runs on this river I headed off to have a spin in one of those runs. The river seemed to be running a little higher as well so I knew it's not going to be an easy time spent in the fast water at all today. I was in the river by 10:45 am and found it was a tough going right from the start as I made my way across the thirty meters of knee deep fast water to reach the shallower side of the river before I could fish my way upstream.
Meander River, Priv. Prop.. 5953 (Medium).JPG
It was a little on the tough side making my way to the opposite side of the river...
I thought I would start the day off with a #00 gold aglia in the shallow fast water to see how it would go before changing to the small hard body lures once I reach the deeper runs a little further upstream. After having a couple of hits early I soon caught a small 300 gram brown, it's looking like it may be a good day fishing the fast water. Well that didn't last all that long because I never had a hit or a follow after that over the next forty minutes before I changed to the ghost brown lure when I reached a deeper stretch of fast water.. I had several trout have a go at the hard body but every one of them missed getting hooked before one eventually took the lure side on and was well and truly hooked. After it had made several runs down stream and peeling quite a bit of line off the reel it tired and I managed to get it into the net, it was a well conditioned 420 gram fish. A little further on I picked up my second brown which was around the same size as the first one I caught & released. That was the last trout taken over the following three hundred meters of river. I decided to get out of the fast water once I found a spot on the river bank where I could make my way out of the river & head back to the car. I found a space between some heavy foliage where I could get out and climb up the river bank. I had three more casts there and was lucky enough to pick up my third brown of the session before I hopped out of the river..
Meander River, Priv. Prop.. 5952 (Medium).JPG
Nice stretch of river...
Meander River, Priv. Prop.. 5950 (Medium).JPG
First of the day..
Meander River, Priv. Prop.. 5954 (Medium).JPG
Not the easiest of rivers to wade at the top end of it..
Meander River, Priv. Prop.. 5955 (Medium).JPG
Another nice wild brown..
Meander River, Priv. Prop.. 5957 (Medium).JPG
Where I hopped out to head back to the car..
After a twenty minute walk back to the car I headed off to another stretch of river, one that was much easier to wade, it's nowhere as rocky to where I had just fished. I stayed with the same lure that I used in the previous area I fished and even though the fishing was a little on the slow side here I did managed to pick up two more browns. It was this last stretch of river that gave up the best fish of the session too and it was the last fish caught as well. A solid female brown that went 600 grams that was in top condition, also very full of eggs going by the size of her girth. She was soon released back into the river after a quick photo, once I released her I called it a day. That first stretch of very rocky fast water had taken it's toll on the body & it wasn't worth fishing on for another fish or two.
Meander River 600 gram brown.. 5972 (Medium).JPG
Best fish & the last of the session..
Meander River 600 gram brown.. 5971 (Medium).JPG
She's ready for release..
Meander River, Priv. Prop.. 5951 (Medium).JPG
Best brown taken here..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Another tough few hours in the river...

Post by Lightningx » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:08 am

Great report and pics mate.
That last brown is a beauty :thumbsup:

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Re: Another tough few hours in the river...

Post by meppstas » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:25 pm

Thanks Lx, she was certainly a beautiful fish that's for sure.. :fish22:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “Tasmania”