Spin session cut short due to heavy rain..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:57 am

Dasher River.. 5977 (Medium).JPG
Low cloud & damp wet conditions..

After having plenty of rain this morning I thought I'd go and have a spin session in the Dasher River on private property to see if I could manage a few trout. The rain looked like it was more or less over and done with when I headed off at 2:45 pm. When I arrived at the river I found the water level to be very low which took me by surprise. I thought there may have been a bit more water in the river than there was after 30mms of rain that we've had in the area.. With the ground being so dry I gather most of the water has been soaked up and there's wasn't all that much run off to be had yet. After a twenty minute walk through to where I was starting my spin session I was soon in the river flicking the gold aglia around. I'm glad I had decided to take a rain jacket with me too because all of a sudden it became very dark as some very black clouds moved in and brought some heavy rain with it. All I could do was kneel down and use the raincoat like a tent until it eased off some ten minutes later. It wasn't until I came to a large pool when I hooked and landed my first little brown, a small 270 gram fish that was beautifully coloured and in very good condition.
Dasher River.. 5976 (Medium).JPG
At least the wind stayed away..
Dasher River.. 5978 (Medium).JPG
Wasn't long before the rain hit..
Dasher River.. 5980 (Medium).JPG
First trout taken here..
Dasher River.. 5981 (Medium).JPG
First of the day..
Dasher River.. 5986 (Medium).JPG
Very damp & wet..

After catching & releasing that little fish another heavy down pour hit and it was back to kneeling back on the ground once again until the rain eased off. I hooked and lost three more small browns as I slowly worked my way along the river stopping every now and then as the rain showers continued to come and go. Thankfully there wasn't any wind with them at this stage. I came to a small split in the river and thought the narrow piece of water to my right looked good enough to be holding a trout. It required an accurate cast of at least thirty feet or so in which I managed to do on the first shot at it. Two turns of the reel handle and I saw a bow wave appear as I retrieved the little gold aglia and in no time at all I had my second little trout in hand. Just after releasing that fish I had another take in the next small narrow stretch of river but lost it as quick as it took the spinner. Then the rain came again and this time it looked to me like it wasn't going away this time so I headed back to the car. Once back at the car the rain eased just enough for me to get out of my waders etc and hop in the car before it set in again and this time the wind came with it.
It probably wasn't the best decision to head off for a spin session given that the forecast was for continued rain showers for most of the day but I was bored and just needed to go and wet a line..
Dasher River.. 5985 (Medium).JPG
An accurate 30 foot cast did the job here..
Dasher River.. 5984 (Medium).JPG
One fat little brown..
Dasher River.. 5979 (Medium).JPG
Rain set in once again..
Dasher River.. 5982 (Medium).JPG
An interested onlooker..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Spin session cut short due to heavy rain..

Post by Texas » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:20 am

Great report and photos Adrian
My mate in Caines reackons they're measuring the rain in feet now, not inches.
Cheers Gra

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:08 pm

Great report and pics as always mate :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks guys.... :thumbsup:
Rains gone, not that we had all that much here.. now the winds been the problem gusting to 57 kph today..
It was still good to wet a line any way and pick up a couple of browns.. two more to my seasons tally.. :-D

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:56 pm

Great report mate

Eug1

Post by Eug1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:00 am

Hi Adrian, I've got a quick question for you that you may have answered before, apologies in advance if that's the case. I notice in your reports that you have very specific weights of the fish you catch. How do you manage to get the weight of the fish?
Cheers, Eugene

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:27 am

Good one mate. Almost forgot what green grass looks like. Got chased by a few of those two horned critters along the banks of the Loddon river years ago. For some reason angry bovines are attracted to me :-D

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:33 am

Thanks guys...
Brownie I don't mind the young ones it's the adult ones that I don't turn my back on.. I too have been chased through the paddocks a couple of times as well, it's amazing how fast one can run when one has to.. :-D A lot of the time they're just curious but I still don't trust a bull..

That's fine Eugene only to happy to show you how I do it..
I use digital scales & weigh the trout while it's in the net then I deduct the weight of the net from the total weight..
I the use digital scales because they're more accurate than the spring scales..

eg: total net weight with fish: 770 grams minus the net weight of 300 grams leaves a fish weight of 470 grams... By doing this there's less handling & stress on the trout before it's released.. If & when I use my deeper landing net then I have to deduct 410 grams from the total weight...

cheers
Adrian

Eug1

Post by Eug1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:38 pm

Hi Adrian. Thanks for the information, I always wondered.
Cheers

Return to “Tasmania”