Tannin water gives up a few trout..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Tannin water gives up a few trout..

Post by meppstas » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Tannin water give up a few trout.

After having some decent rainfall over the past couple of days I thought I would try one on the small tannin waters (Lobster Rivulet) above Weegena. I was hoping it had enough flow in it to be good enough to fish, once there I found it was flowing quite nice and it was good enough to have a spin session in it. I was using the gold Aglia today as it always works well in most of the tannin waters I fish. It was a little on the quite side over the first fifty meters or so before I had a small brown take the lure only to see it toss it once it leapt from the river. A little further on I had my first brown hooked and after a good tussle over a couple of minutes I had it in the net. It was a solid 380 gram brown that was in very good condition.
These little tannin streams & creeks hold some nice trout in them from time to time and are always worth flicking a lure into once there's good flow in them. Early and late season is always the best times to fish them, once the warmer weather arrives and water levels drop the trout vanish. They head back into the main rivers that these little streams & creeks flow into. A lot of trout fisho's don't bother to check out these small tannin waters mainly because it's very tight fishing & can be tough work because of some very rocky bottoms and lots of thick foliage along both sides of the water. I love giving them a go because you never know if there's trout in them or not, it's always rewarding when one does catch a few trout in them. There's plenty I've had a go at that have given up nothing, but then again it may have just been one of those days too..
6011 (Medium).JPG
Heavy foliage on a lot of these little tannin streams..
6005 (Medium).JPG
This water was worth flicking a lure into..

Now back to my spin session in this little tannin stream. After releasing that 380 gram brown I continued to battle my way upstream flicking the gold Aglia into small runs where possible without a lot of success. I did have two hook ups in a small narrow stretch of water but lost both fish, they were only little trout any way. A little further up I came to a section of water that was around three meters wide and around 40 cms deep, it was here I caught and released my second brown of the session. It was good to see I had made the decision to give this small tannin water a go today and if we have more good rains before the season ends I'm sure there will more more trout to be caught here as well. There were several areas here I couldn't get a cast in due to it being to heavily covered with tea trees. Over the next hour I fished what open water I could and caught and released another three browns from five hook ups with the best one going 420 grams. I called it a day after being in and out of this water for just on two and a half hours. With just the five trout caught and released it was still a good spin session and one area I will have another crack at later on before the trout season ends providing we get a little more rain to keep the water flowing at a reasonable level..
6008 (Medium).JPG
Rewards for trying these little tannin waters.
6012 (Medium).JPG
Just a little trout, but still fun to catch..
6015 (Medium).JPG
One dark tannin water brown trout..
6019 (Medium).JPG
Just can't beat the colours on the trout in these waters..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Re: Tannin water gives up a few trout..

Post by Truedogz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:20 am

Adrian, that stream looks quite similar to the high country streams I go fishing in over here. The trout feed heavily on tea tree beatles when they are around so flies/lures with a metallic green sheen are quite successful at that time.

I was hoping to chase trout in the high country this weekend but rain is forecast - you might get some more water for your stream!

Best Wishes

Truedogz

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:37 am

Another great report and awsome pics
Well done

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:35 am

Great report and pics as always Adrian :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:46 am

Truedogz wrote:Adrian, that stream looks quite similar to the high country streams I go fishing in over here. The trout feed heavily on tea tree beatles when they are around so flies/lures with a metallic green sheen are quite successful at that time.

I was hoping to chase trout in the high country this weekend but rain is forecast - you might get some more water for your stream!

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Thanks Guys,
Yes Truedogz bring on the rain for sure.. We had a little light rain this morning with some heavier showers forecast later in the day, the weekend is when we're supposed to get some good rain which I'm hoping for as these little tannin waters drop so fast the water is just too low to fish.. not only that the trout stress too easily as well so they're best left alone.. :fish22:
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:22 am

Looks like a great little stream to fish.

Nice fish from a little creek.

Bm

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:06 am

Amazing colours great read

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:12 am

Good stuff all round as always

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Just love these little tannin streams.. well, when there's water flowing in them.. :-D

Nice rain coming across the North here at the moment.. :banana:

cheers
Adrian
Raining at last.. (Medium).JPG
Good dose of rain, let's hope it stays around for a while too..

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Looks like a big down pour is on its way. We need some more rain here in Melbourne as well mate. Been very dry.

Return to “Tasmania”