Dark tannin water gives up a few small browns..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Dark tannin water gives up a few small browns..

Post by meppstas » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:32 am

Dark tannin water gives up a few small browns. 13-8-18

I went and checked out a small stream late this afternoon only to find it running high & fast like many other rivers & streams I've checked out since the trout season opened. I wasn't sure if it was worthwhile getting the wading gear on to give it a go or not. After standing there for at least ten minutes looking the stream in two minds should I or shouldn't I give it a go I finally decided to get the wading gear on. A twenty minute walk though down through some paddocks and thick bush I was in the river just on 2:15 pm. It was running reasonably fast and a very dark tannin colour so the choice of lure was quite easy, it was on with Mepps #0 Aglia Tiger fluoro. The water temp was a cold 6 degrees which was two degrees cooler that the air temperature at this time of the day, not only that the wind was gusting up to 35 kph. Casting in any small stream in these windy conditions won't be easy as accuracy is a must. The good thing is that both sides of this little tannin stream has some very dense cover which will give me shelter from most of the wind.
1-My starting point, ..6585 (Medium).JPG
My starting point..
The first couple of runs were quiet with no sign of trout, it wasn't until I flicked the Aglia to the top end of the small third stretch of water when I had my first trout take the lure. It wasn't a large fish, just a small skinny wild brown that was around 200 grams. Even though it was a little brown it still fought hard all the way to the net like all river trout do whether they're small or large. I wasn't sure if I'd even catch a trout today given that the water was so cold, dark and running hard & fast like it is. The following run of water gave up another two aggressive little browns that weren't much bigger than the first one I caught. Still, it's good to see a few trout in this little stream as it has been through some tough times with low water levels during the past few Summers when a lot of trout died in it.
2- First trout caught . 6588 (Medium).JPG
First skinny little trout caught here..
2- first trout, 6587 (Medium).JPG
One very skinny little fella..
3- Second trout,  6589 (Medium).JPG
Second small trout caught & released..
A little further up I picked up another small brown and that was it for at least another two hundred meters of fishing my way upstream. The water depth had varied quite a lot from knee deep up to a few inches below the top of my waders when I had to tip toe through a deep six meter long pool. I knew it was safe to do this here as I've been through this pool before, it has a nice easy going river bottom. Once I had reached the top end of the pool it shallowed out to knee deep water again, it was there where I caught another two small browns in pretty quick time. As I kept working my way upstream I noticed some heavy storm clouds building up in the West so I thought I had best get a move on. I hurried through the next twenty minutes of fishing and managed to catch and release another couple of little browns before getting out and heading off back to the car at 4:10 pm.. In all it wasn't a bad spin session with eight small browns being caught, just a pity they weren't a little bigger in size. I'm sure once this weather settles down there will be some larger fish to be had here like there was last season. This was just my second outing for this season, the first one lasted 40 minutes with just the one 590 gram brown being caught from a 60 meter back water run..
4- Trout 5 caught here. 6594 (Medium).JPG
Fifth brown picked up here.
4- Trout number 5,  6596 (Medium).JPG
fifth trout, this was the biggest of the eight trout..
6-Trout No 8 caught here, 6604 (Medium).JPG
Accurate cast here resulted in trout No. 8 being caught..
6-Trout No. 8 ..6601 (Medium).JPG
Last trout of the session.. No 8
z Storm clouds moving in time to head for the car..6607 (Medium).JPG
Saw this weather moving in... time to head back to the car..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Dark tannin water gives up a few small browns..

Post by Boonanza » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Some great little browns there mate nice work :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:03 pm

Great report and pics as always mate :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Thanks guys, the three month layoff didn't help either.. Only two hours spent in the river and the old body is sore today.. :(

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:29 pm

Hopefully over the coming weeks you will slowly get back into it Adrian and won’t be as sore. How did you start off last season on your first trip out after a long break?

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:18 pm

Started off slow last season with just the three trout on the first trip, then on the second trip two days later I tore my hamstring as I climbed down a steep river bank to get in the river.. I did fish on for two & a half hours that day for four trout caught & released, then had two weeks off because of the hamstring.. I usually have a bit of trouble early season, I have another dose of injections in the back & hip tomorrow which is my last lot (after having 6 weekly lots) for a couple of months or later if all goes well with the lower back.

cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”