Fine weather & river levels dropping..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Fine weather & river levels dropping..

Post by meppstas » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:28 pm

Fine weather and water levels getting lower.. 22-8-18

Finally the weather has settled over the past couple of days and it's going to stay this way for several more days. Not only that the river levels are starting to drop which is even better news, well for me it is any way seeing as I only fish the rivers here in Tasmania. With it being fine today I headed back to the same little tannin stream that I fished just over a week ago, the water was a light tannin colour & flowing at the perfect height for wading. I quickly slipped into my wading gear, grabbed the Okuma Celilo 6' l/wt trout rod then hopped in the water & started casting a Mepps #0 Aglia Tiger fluoro upstream then retrieving it at the same speed as the flow. It took at least fifteen minutes before I had my first trout follow the lure, that fish took one light nip at the spinner before darting off. It wasn't even an aggressive hit which surprised me because the conditions are the same as my last trip here.
1- A couple hurdles to get over.. (Medium).JPG
A couple of hurdles across the stream..

Another ten minutes later I had a second brown follow the lure and it just would not take it. I let the spinner drift down past me and the fish followed it all the way, even when I let the line go tight while letting the flow of the river work the spinner blade. The trout turned faced upstream then sat behind the lure as I raised & lowered the spinner several times, each time I did that the trout came at the spinner as it fluttered back down but still wouldn't strike.. I tried everything to get that trout to take the lure, it kept coming at it then backed off each time before it finally lost interest in it and moved off. I decided to change over to a Mepps #0 Black Fury with a gold blade with the yellow dots and that spinner picked up my first trout of the session. Like my last trip here the first trout caught was a small 220 gram fish which was pretty disappointing as I was hoping for something a little bigger this trip. Ten minutes later and some twenty meters further upstream I picked up two more small browns in quick time.
5-Small brown picked up here. (Medium).JPG
Small brown picked up here..
2-First of the session..(Medium).JPG
First of the session..
3-Two trout taken here.. (Medium).JPG
Two trout picked up here..
3- Another nice little wild brown trout. (Medium).JPG
Another little brown..
3- third of the session..JPG
Third brown..
Those two were the last trout caught for around fifty minutes before I had another change of lure, this time it was on with a #0 Black Fury gold blade with orange dots. I caught and released another two small browns from three hook ups on that spinner before I called it a day. I had spent nearly three hours in the river for just six hook ups with five small browns being landed which was well below my expectations today. I was hoping for better results with some larger trout being caught today but it wasn't to be. With the rivers levels starting to drop in the larger rivers I'm hoping to make a trip to one of them in the next day or two and hopefully land a few larger trout..
6- Black Fury Gold blade with orange dots worked on the trout. (Medium).JPG
Black fury with orange dots did the job..
6- last trout caught here. (Medium).JPG
Last trout taken here..
6- Last trout of the session.. (Medium).JPG
The last little one taken before I called it a day..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Fine weather & river levels dropping..

Post by Lightningx » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:49 pm

Great report and pics as always mate.
Hopefully you will get some larger ones you are after in your next session.
Cheers :thumbsup:

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:30 am

Thanks LX, it was just great to be able to hop back into a river even though the trout were small they still fight well on light tackle..
Checked the river levels on the BOM site this morning and they're down a little more than at 10:00 pm last night so tomorrow is looking good for a session in one of them in the upper reaches where they're lower..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

sirsquidalot
Has liked: 1 time

Post by sirsquidalot » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:53 am

looks dreamy down there :thumbsup:

Return to “Tasmania”