Gale force winds, not a day to be in a river...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Gale force winds, not a day to be in a river...

Post by meppstas » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Gale force winds, not a day to be in a river.. 14-9-18

With the Mersey, Meander & Leven rivers still running very high and a day without rain plus a temperature of 15 degrees had me heading off to the tannin water for a spin session after a nine day lay off. Until the larger rivers drop to a safe wading level I have no choice but to fish the little tannin water again. There was only one problem today and that was the wind, it was gusting at 50/60 kph from the North West so it wasn't going to be all that great for spin fishing. When I arrived I found the stream was running much higher than my last trip but still good enough to hop in and try and catch a trout or two. Like the past couple of river trips I started with the Mepps #0 Aglia tiger fluoro, it was on the forth cast when I picked up my first little wild brown trout in small flat water under some overhanging tea trees.
Small Minnow River wild brown trout..(14-9-18) (Medium).JPG
First little brown of the session..
Small brown caught here, Minnow River. (14-9-18) (Medium).JPG
Small brown picked up here, flat water near opposite river bank..
The wind was roaring through the large eucalyptus trees and it was quite deafening at times. With small branches, twigs and leaves flying around it wasn't that comfortable spin fishing here at all. Good thing was it only took another ten minutes before I caught two more small browns in three casts in a small stretch of water. It was a good start to the fishing but would have been much better had the trout been of a larger size. Still catching these little browns is better than not catching anything at all I suppose. They were the last trout caught for another thirty minutes when I picked up another little fella, after that I hooked and lost the following five trout and that's when I called it a day. The wind made casting the light weight lures near impossible & very frustrating as it carried the lure side ways and into the tea trees several times. This is just one of the hazards when fishing these tight little streams in extremely windy conditions. During the session I did try a few Mepps black fury spinners in silver, gold and copper colours but there weren't any takers. It wasn't the lures that were the problem it was the lack of trout in the areas I fished. Also tried a few different hard bodies with the same result.. With more poor weather forecast over the next few days it looks like the trout fishing will be on hold once again..
Mepps Aglia tiger fluro & small brown, Minnow River. (14-9-18) (Medium).JPG
Another of the small browns..
Tannin water, but no trout here ..(14-9-18) (Medium).JPG
Nice water but no trout in it..
The wind caught the lure here and carried it into the tea trees.. (14-9-18) (Medium).JPG
The wind carried my spinner into the tea trees here..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Sinsemilla

Re: Gale force winds, not a day to be in a river...

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:32 pm

Good that you still got out and got a few. This weather is the pits.. I'm also hanging for it to all settle down so i can do some serious fishing. As much as i love the rivers and streams the salt is calling..

Cheers for the report Adrian.

Anth

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:02 pm

I'm over this crappy weather, absolutely freezing here today, max 7 degrees in Sheffield, wind chill factor was -2 degrees..
just have to be patient for now Anth.. it will eventually get better.. :victory:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:36 pm

Considering the weather conditions it sounds like you still did alright mate!
It’s been blowing a gale all day here today also. Yesterday was a beautiful warm day around 22 and today a mid winter day with a max of around 10-11. Absolutely crazy weather typical Melbourne style!
Great pics as always Adrian.
Cheers :thumbsup:

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:43 pm

Mepps.. deadly.. extremely popular lure where I come from in South Africa for american black bass, trout, yellowfish and several others.. great report mate

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:22 am

Sounds like you still had fun contrea to the weather

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:43 am

Thanks guys, yes it was still good to be able too get back into a river a chase a few trout..

It's a bit cool here this morning after some overnight snow.. this means the rivers will also rise & water temps will drop again and shut down the trout... :down:

cheers
Adrian
IMG_4478 (Medium).JPG
A little white here this morning.. a lot of it has now melted since I took this photo..

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:00 pm

Just when things start picking up the weather man shuts things down again

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:56 pm

awesome pics and you got some, picked up a couple mepps lures the other day when anaconda had 20% off well made lures one day i will have to go trout fishing again

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:07 pm

Hope you get to go and chase the trout again dazz, I'm sure if you catch one or two you may get the urge to go more often,,
They're great trout lure...

cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”