Landbased, Hobart

Tasmania Fishing Reports
ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Landbased, Hobart

Post by ChrisTaylor » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:10 pm

I'll be staying in the Hobart CBD in a week. I have a 2-4kg travel rod and want to go fishing for ... something. I really don't care what. I'll be using hardbodies or soft plastics. Bream. Bay trout, even. Trout if there's somewhere accessible and super close. Any suggestions?

Sinsemilla

Re: Landbased, Hobart

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:25 pm

I'm sure Adrian (meppstas) will point you in the right direction. Otherwise just google fishing near Hobart CBD. Something should pop up.

Cheers, Anth

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:09 pm

The wharfs around Salamanca hold flathead galore, throw bigger blades and its almost a fish a cast. mainly small flathead tho.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:07 pm

ChrisTaylor wrote:I'll be staying in the Hobart CBD in a week. I have a 2-4kg travel rod and want to go fishing for ... something. I really don't care what. I'll be using hardbodies or soft plastics. Bream. Bay trout, even. Trout if there's somewhere accessible and super close. Any suggestions?
I'm situated in the North of Tassie and rarely fish the salt water now days.. you can checkout fishingboatingtasmania.com.au which I am a site member of, tasfish.com may be of some help and there's also sportsfishtasmania.com which would more than likely have quite a bit of helpful info on it.. also call into any of the Tasmanian information shops which are setup in most towns around Tassie as they hold info as well.. You can pick up angler access brochures & a Trout Fish Tasmania booklet (all free) for trout fishing from them as well as the tackle stores, the brochures will show you the trout rivers & streams & where you can access them.. You'll need to purchase a trout license too & make sure they give you the Tasmanian Inland fishing code 2018-19 booklet with your license, the Derwent River is giving up some decent sea run trout at the moment, most rivers are running high & fast at the moment, hopefully they will settle down over the next couple of weeks.. Enjoy your stay when you get down here and hope you catch a fish or two as well.. :water:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:34 pm

Thanks for the heads up re: Salamanca. I was staying in Sandy Bay, so the market area was within walking distance. I put in a couple hours before a TasPorts worker (kindly, etc) told me to **** off. It turns out, much of the wharves in the area are not open to fishermen. I didn't see any signs to this effect, but I also didn't see anyone else fishing there. The guy said fishermen used to litter too much, and directed me to the wharf outside UniTas' Marine/Antarctic Science building. That aside, though, the fishing was good. I picked up numerous flathead (up to ~45cm), a small barracouta, and two hard-fighting 'mystery fish' (based on a brief glimpse at the Tas fishing guide, they were a cod and a wrasse). All on soft plastics -- 1/12 weighted ZMan Motor Oils, to be exact. I kept nothing. I was happy.

Return to “Tasmania”