A few trout caught before the weather changed..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

A few trout caught before the weather changed..

Post by meppstas » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:03 pm

Storms were forecast to hit around midday do I headed over to the Mersey River for a quick spin session before it hit. Started of with the #1 Aglia furia and picked up a very tiny brown trout on the very first cast, it was that small I didn't bother to photographed it. The less these little trout are handle the better their survival rate is. From there I decided to head downstream for some three hundred meters and fish my way back upstream. As I made my way over a very rocky old back water I spotted a few cormorants fly over head which wasn't a good sign, then when I arrived to where I was about to start fishing two more of them took off from the edge of the river. Then I headed the rumble of thunder in the distance s I though I had better get my act together and get stuck into flicking the Aglia Furia around.
9 Mersey River (Medium).JPG
Still good flow in the river..
It took two cast when I had my second trout on and soon in hand and back in the river, it was another little fish. Four casts later into the headwater I was onto another small brown, another cast back into that same piece of water saw my for small trout of the day taken on the Furia. These were only small browns, but it's better than nothing that's for sure. I headed a little further downstream and started casting the Furia up and across the river then letting it drift with the flow when a solid rainbow took the spinner. It put up a great fight all the way into the net, it was a beautifully coloured 'bow that went just on 410 grams. After a quick photo it was soon back in the river. Form here I fished my way back upstream without seeing another fish for at least four hundred meters when I finally had a couple of follows from another rainbow. But it would take the lure, not only that the thunder was getting much closer and it had started raining so I decided to head back to the car.
5 Mersey River (Medium).JPG
Two little browns taken here
4 Mersey River (Medium).JPG
The second of two small browns..
8 Mersey River 2 (Medium).JPG
Rainbow that fell to the Aglia Furia..
8 Mersey River 3 (Medium).JPG
Ready for release..
On the way back I noticed a few small duns hovering above the water and small trout started jumping from the river trying to get hold of them. I made my way across the river and headed up a small steam the flowed into the Mersey, it was here I noticed a trout rise and sip something from the surface. I cast the lure a few feet past past where I spotted the trout and slowly retrieved the lure while keeping the rod tip high to keep the spinner close to the surface. It didn't take all that long when the Furia was taken by a solid medium size brown. I took a punt on having a go at catching that brown too because normally when they're surface feeding they rarely take a lure. By keeping the spinner close to the surface was what did the trick on sucking that fish in. Like the rainbow it was back in the water in quick time after a quick photo. The rain had stopped as had the thunder, then the sun broke through making it quite steamy. It was still very black towards the North and the wind had picked up from that direction too. My mind was already made up, I kept heading back to the car and called it a day. It was a good decision, I just made it to the car when the sky opened up and the rain set in as did the lightening show.
Mersey River 14 (Medium).JPG
Very rough on the body, and in the river it's not any better..
Mersey River 16 (Medium).JPG
Brown caught here on my way back to the car..
Mersey River 15 (Medium).JPG
The last trout of the day..
** Here's a video clip of the spin session, such as it was.. :oops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRsKveZEle8

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: A few trout caught before the weather changed..

Post by Texas » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:22 pm

Great report and photos Adrian
Cheers Gra

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:22 pm

Adrian. Not a lot of fish but better than sitting at home! Sometimes fishing when a storm is brewing can produce amazing results. The scenery with a black sky and lightning can be amazing too.

I have a question. You now obviously have a go-pro set up. Which model did you get, what did it cost and what are its pros and cons?

I'm not going to become a Robbie Alexander its just someone recently asked me to create a few clips on native fish.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:27 pm

Truedogz wrote:Adrian. Not a lot of fish but better than sitting at home! Sometimes fishing when a storm is brewing can produce amazing results. The scenery with a black sky and lightning can be amazing too.

I have a question. You now obviously have a go-pro set up. Which model did you get, what did it cost and what are its pros and cons?

I'm not going to become a Robbie Alexander its just someone recently asked me to create a few clips on native fish.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
I do love fishing in humid conditions when there's a storm building up too.. I've had some great fishing days during them that's for sure..

I don't use a Go-pro, I video it using my little Canon SX620HS camera by hand.. I wait until I've hooked a trout then get my camera that's attached to a lanyard (so I don't drop it in the river) that's just tucked into the top of my waders. turn it on and hit the little record button on the camera and talk through it..That's it Truedogz, I do have a brand new helmet camera that also has a chest strap with it, that's still sitting in my cupboard unused and I doubt I'' ever use it either as I'd forget to turn it off or what ever.. They're available on Ebay now with a remote control from around $30-00 and they do a good job too SJ9000 is a good one so I was told a few days ago.. I only tried using the one on my camera a month or so ago, when I showed it several people really enjoyed it & that's why I now put them on YouTube.. even the Tackle Tactics site I'm on is now using them too...

Here's a bit of a write up on the little camera that has a lot of punch for it's size in case you think about getting one..

cheers
Adrian

** The Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Digital Camera is designed to capture clear images with less noise, even when photographing in poor lighting conditions. With an impressive 25x optical zoom lens and built-in WiFi, the SX620HS makes snapping and sharing photos quick and simple.
canon_1072c001_powershot_sx620_hs_digital_1251151.jpg
Canon powershot SX620HS camera..
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:15 pm

Great read with some really nice pics as always mate.
Once again enjoyed watching the vid as well. Keep them coming!
Cheers :thumbsup:

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:13 pm

At least you're getting a few Adrian. Cheers for the report. I'll be hitting up my usual haunts over the next couple weeks. hopefully i have half the luck you do!

Anth

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:56 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:At least you're getting a few Adrian. Cheers for the report. I'll be hitting up my usual haunts over the next couple weeks. hopefully i have half the luck you do!

Anth
Good on'ya Anth, look forward to see how you go mate.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”