Good spin session in the Leven River..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Good spin session in the Leven River..

Post by meppstas » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:44 pm

Good spin session in the Leven River.

I though a trip back to the Leven River may be worthwhile now the river level has dropped backed to a safe wading height after some heavy rainfall a couple of weeks ago. My last trip there was a good one with nineteen trout being caught & released, today the water level is lower than that trip was. When I arrived it was very foggy and the conditions were great, cool and not a breath of wind, just perfect for chasing trout. There were a few campers set up on the property where I started off the spin session, good thing was I had arrived at 6:00 am and they were still in their beds.. It wasn't long before I was in the river working my way up to the fast water runs flicking the #1 Aglia Furia around. It was quite eerie in the river this morning with it being so still with just the sound of running water and frequent bird calls. The silhouette of trees along each side of the river as well as the dead and fallen ones in the water made for a few great photos.
Glassy water...JPG
Foggy start to the day..
Finally a trout is caught..JPG
First little brown of the session..
Trout taken here..JPG
Fog is lifting as the sun gets higher..

The trout weren't around for the first five minutes or so until I finally had a follow from a medium size brown, a fish that was only half interested before it slowly turned and moved off. Not that long after I had a small brown take the Furia spinner, I had my first fish of the session. A little further up I picked up another small brown, one that came from a small flat water near the river bank. It wasn't until I had reached a shallow fast water ten minutes later when I picked up my third brown, this one was a nice 320 gram fish.
The fog was slowly being burnt off as the sun rose higher then started to hit the water, with a forecast of 24 degrees later one could feel the air warming up already. As I approached a very long wide medium flowing stretch of river I decided to try a small section of back water that ran off it. I used a small greedy guts lure there and picked up a solid 410 gram brown that smashed the lure no sooner it had hit the water.
After releasing the brown I moved into the long wide stretch of river, all I could manage there was one hit and miss plus several follows from some medium brown trout. I used a variety of Mepps spinners & hard body lures without a single taker.
This brown was taken in five inches of fast water..JPG
Aglia Furia sucked this brown in
Second trout of the session..JPG
Nice little wild brown trout..
Second trout taken here..JPG
Fast water that gave up a small brown
The following two hundred meters of river was a mix of fast to medium runs, it was there I caught and released another two solid browns from three hook ups, the lure used was a 44mm GagaGoon MI Perch. With six trout caught and released and more wide long slow flowing water ahead of me I decided to head back to the car and try another stretch of river further downstream. After a twenty minute walk I was back at the car and on to the next area to fish. I stayed with the GagaGoon lure and caught two small browns from four hits, all in the one small fast water run. The next medium flowing stretch of river I had quite a few hit & misses before it gave up a nice 310 gram brown, that fish was my 300th trout for the season.
I didn't think I would reach the three hundred trout before the new year seeing the the season has been so up and down for me. The sun was now high and fully on the river, the fishing slowed down to what it had been. I was still having plenty of follows but the aggression from the trout had dropped off. I fished on for another hour and a half and caught & released another six browns which made it fifteen for the spin session. I called it a day and arrived back to the car at 12:20 pm. It had been a long day in the river and I was hot, tired & very sore in the hips & lower back.
Low down view of the river..JPG
Low view of the river where I picked up a trout.
Trout No 300 for the season..JPG
At last, trout No 300 for the season..
The last stretch of water fished..JPG
Last stretch of water fished before calling it a day.
cheers
Adrian
Attachments
Another trout caught here, mid river..JPG
Another trout taken here
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Good spin session in the Leven River..

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:16 pm

Awesome report mate
Congratulations on big 300

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:24 pm

Great report and pics as always mate.
Enjoyed the read.
Cheers :thumbsup:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:51 pm

Ode to a Master

"On his early morning trek, he saw some campers.
But they were fast asleep, so there were no dampers.
While they were snoozing, at six am.
The Trout Stalker was reeking, trout mayhem.
With a foggy start and ideal conditions.
The 300th trout, was one of his predictions.
With a very wise move to another River.
Ol Adrian’s GagaGoon started to quiver.
The trout were being landed, that could be seen.
As the Trout Stalker counted out his fifteen.
Feeling hot, tired and a little sore.
He made the call, that there would be no more.
So he packed up his stuff and went on his way.
Ready to go angling, on some other day"

Great post Adrian for what was a great day out. Love the photos you take and share that lovely country side with us.

Cheers, Bill

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:30 pm

Thanks guys..
and Bill, that's one great poem, thank you very much mate.. I've copied & pasted it too if that's okay.. :victory:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Good report, good photos. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you had a great time.

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:09 am

Seb85 wrote:Good report, good photos. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you had a great time.
Thanks Seb, There's nothing better that being in a river at dawn chasing trout, very peaceful time of the day .. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:48 am

Another great read from trout fishing paradise. :thumbsup:

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:52 am

Adrian, you could not write a better intro - I felt like I was there with you! Another great report & congrats on the 300.

Heading down your way 16-23 Feb to fish, I'll send a PM.
quid est quod eum

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:35 am

Thanks rb, yes do that mate..
it was tough going to reach the 300 this season with the rivers not fishing all that well..

cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”