Fast water trout fishing..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Fast water trout fishing..

Post by meppstas » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:25 am

Pushed the old body to the limit yesterday spending a tough 3-1/2 hours fishing a fast water stretch of river. It's one of the hardest fast water runs I fish and wasn't sure if I should give it a go or not. Mainly because the day before I had around 50 injections in my lower back, both hips as well as my left shoulder blade & I'm supposed to rest up for a couple of days after having them. But with just on six weeks of the trout season left I still need to get my numbers up on the trout if I want to win the Angling Club trophy again this season. So I decided to hit the fast water where I knew I would get a few trout. I love this time of year chasing trout as they become more aggressive late in the season & today they were just that. It was a foggy start to the day & the first fast water I checked out in the upper reaches wasn't safe enough to fish as it was running a little too high & fast. I decided to fish the same river but further downstream were it flowed through flatter land and was a lot safer to wade.
IMG_9238 (Medium).JPG
Foggy morning to start with..
IMG_9239 (Medium).JPG
Looking down on where I was about to start off the spin session
IMG_9242 (Medium).JPG
River running too fast & a little too deep, not safe enough for my liking..
The copper Aglia Mouche Noire was the first Mepps lure used and it did well in picking up the first dozen trout before they went off it as the session went on. Then used a Aglia brown for just the one trout from several hook ups before going to the Aglia gold. Trying to get off trout number thirteen took around thirty minutes or so before I finally had one stay on making it fourteen caught & released. That's when I called it a day, my body couldn't take the slipping & sliding in the river any longer, I was done.. The Okuma Helious HSX20 reel did it's job again as did the Okuma ULS 1-3 kg trout rod.. Resting up today & with some bad weather going to hit on Monday I may get a spin session in again Sunday morning hopefully.
IMG_9244 (Medium).JPG
Much better here in the lower reaches..
IMG_9263 (Medium).JPG
Nice fast water trout..
IMG_9267 (Medium).JPG
A rare catch in this river.
IMG_9273 (Medium).JPG
Solid 540 gram brown..
IMG_9281 (Medium).JPG
Nearly time to call it a day..
IMG_9289 (Medium).JPG
Finally No. 14 is caught..
IMG_9291 (Medium).JPG
Called it a day here, totally knackered..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYSckVkFAL4

cheers
Adrian (meppstas)
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Fast water trout fishing..

Post by Lightningx » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:42 am

Top effort Adrian!
Great report and pics as always mate.
Hope the bodies holding up ok after that session?
Cheers :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:55 pm

Thanks LX, much better today than it was last night.. ready to go again tomorrow weather permitting.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:54 pm

Wow truly trout heaven over there! Well done!
Do you find the trout are easier to catch in fast tumbling water? Or slow deep pool?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:23 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:54 pm
Do you find the trout are easier to catch in fast tumbling water? Or slow deep pool?
Thanks Seb85,
I've always been one for fishing Medium/fast water runs as that's where I've caught the majority of trout, the slower flowing deep pools I do fish them on & of and mainly use hard body lures in them.. I do prefer the fast water runs in all of the rivers I fish, in saying that I rarely bypass any water without flicking a lure into it.. From now on the trout fishing should get better as the trout really become more aggressive with Winter approaching & the spawning season in June.. I love chasing trout at this time of year from mid March through to the end of the trout season which is the 29th April this year.. My last three trips have yielded 42 trout (15,13,&14) which is great, it's put my seasons tally onto 445 now..

cheers
Adrian

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:16 am

meppstas wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:23 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:54 pm
Thanks Seb85,
I've always been one for fishing Medium/fast water runs as that's where I've caught the majority of trout, the slower flowing deep pools I do fish them on & of and mainly use hard body lures in them.. I do prefer the fast water runs in all of the rivers I fish, in saying that I rarely bypass any water without flicking a lure into it.. From now on the trout fishing should get better as the trout really become more aggressive with Winter approaching & the spawning season in June.. I love chasing trout at this time of year from mid March through to the end of the trout season which is the 29th April this year.. My last three trips have yielded 42 trout (15,13,&14) which is great, it's put my seasons tally onto 445 now..

cheers
Adrian
Wow that's a good record number. What's your target? 500?

Amazing how great the trout fishery is over there. When I was in TAS, it was kinda mini New Zealand to me. Great trout fishery. Managed well too.

Yeah same, trout fishing in Vic should get better in April and May is when everyone is looking for the big spawning trouts. 1st June is when the season closed here.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:43 am

My target at the start of the season was 600, now looking at 500 plus which won't be too bad.. The rivers I fish haven't really fished all that well this season.. One has improved late in the season, but the Mersey River hasn't done a thing for most of the year, lots of complaints with the river fishing across the state from a lot of river fisho's.. Our trout fishery isn't as good as it sounds half the time, they could learn a lot from the NZ fisheries for sure.. I've just got home from fishing the upper reaches of the Mersey River and had a very poor three hours spin fishing, 2 browns & one rainbow trout over 1.5 kms of river.. Only came across five trout over that time & distance in an area I normally average 15 trout.. not good enough at all..

cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”