Trout aggressive & in good numbers..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:36 pm

Calm, mild overcast conditions had me heading back to have another crack chasing trout in the rocky fast waters of the Meander River. I hit the river at 7:40 am to find it was a little lower than my last trip here, it still had plenty of water coming down. Like most of my trips of late I started off with the lure that keeps on keeping on even though it's now very much worse for wear, the copper blade Mepps #0 Aglia Mouche Noire was the lure. I only intended to fish a five/six hundred meter stretch of river then move to another area two or so kilometres further downstream. The area I fished was perfect for the cast & drift method and it wasn't very long before I had the first trout hooked and landed. The trout were here but they weren't overly aggressive to start with, they were just nipping at the spinner. I stayed with the copper Mouche Noire lure and by the time I had reached the area I was finishing up I had caught a total of six small browns from nine hookups. The trout had suddenly become aggressive which I was quite happy with. The reason for not fishing any further up the river here was because it was a very rocky and tough long stretch of water and one of the hardest to fish on this river. Seeing as I had around thirty injections in my lower back and hips the day before I thought it wise not to fish there this trip.
IMG_9346 (Medium).JPG
Fast water perfect for wading..
IMG_9360 (Medium).JPG
The first brown trout of many..

I was heading to a long stretch of river that I hadn't been to for at least four trout seasons because I was interested to see if it held any fish. I gave up fishing there because it died right off, the trout were very few and far between and it was a time waster.. As I neared the turn off to the river I drove past it and decided to fish one of the areas I knew would give up some trout. I had only gone a few hundred meters past the turn off when I had another change of mind, I turned the car around and headed to the area I hadn't fished for the last four seasons. I just had a feeling I shouldn't bypass that long stretch of river, it could be worth having a go there, I had nothing to lose by giving it a go. It was slow going for the first couple of hundred meters with no signs of a trout. I was now doubting my decision & in two minds whether to carry on or not when I picked up a small brown from a direct cast and retrieve straight up the river. Well, catching that little 280 gram brown was enough to keep me fishing on and it wasn't long before I had another small brown take the Aglia spinner. I came to a wide, deep slow flowing stretch of river which I bypassed because I only wanted to fish the medium/fast water runs here this trip.
IMG_9367 (Medium).JPG
Trout taken here..
IMG_9365 (Medium).JPG
Nice wild brown takes the lure..
IMG_9366 (Medium).JPG
Great rocky stretch of trout water..
After bypassing that stretch of water I was soon back in the river where I had several follows on the copper Aglia but no takers. It was time to try a small hard body lure to see if that may hit the aggression button on the trout. That little lure did the trick, the trout really turned aggressive and kept taking it on a regular basis. I finished up catching and releasing eleven browns and one rainbow trout from fourteen hook ups, the trout varied in size from small to medium fish with the best one going 510 grams. There was just the one quiet period when the trout were nowhere to be seen, that was in a wide medium depth stretch of river that didn't have any cover on both sides of it. It wasn't until I was back in a narrow fast/medium water when I started having more hits from the trout. I went back to the Aglia Mouche Noire again to fish the last one hundred meters of river before calling it a day. The Mouche Noire did it's job in catching two more browns from six hits. I finished the spin session with a total of twenty two trout being caught & released. After some hesitation to fish here before deciding to do so turned out to be the right one in the end. Today's catch gave my seasons catch a good boost, now on 470 trout which I'm very happy with.
IMG_9370 (Medium).JPG
Solid brown picked up here..
IMG_9379 (Medium).JPG
Beast trout of the spin session..
IMG_9389 (Medium).JPG
Another well conditioned trout..
IMG_9409 (Medium).JPG
Trout number 22 for the spin session..
IMG_9411 (Medium).JPG
Trout number 22 was picked up here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4d-JwMvyCA
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

muzza43
Has liked: 104 times

Re: Trout aggressive & in good numbers..

Post by muzza43 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi, Adrian. Long time no post, looks like a great days fishing in the old ground, well done. Cheers, muzza43.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:04 am

Well done mate
Great session

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:37 am

Reckon you'll get the 800 target?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:44 am

Enjoyed the read mate! Very nice session.
Great pics as always!
Cheers :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:00 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:37 am
Reckon you'll get the 800 target?
Thanks guys...
No 800 this season Seb, should be around 510 to 520 if I'm lucky, hopefully that will still be enough to win the Angling Club trophy for the thirteenth
year in a row.. :water:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:05 am

Good luck mate
Going for the crazy dozen

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:00 pm

Geez Adrian, a leisurely 22 in a session
That's a damn good day, even by your standards.
Maybe the secret is, the more injections the more fish (glad I don't need them, yet).
When does the season close (?).
Cheers Gra

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:44 pm

Texas wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:00 pm
Maybe the secret is, the more injections the more fish (glad I don't need them, yet).
Cheers Gra
I am half way through another 4 weeks of injections Gra.. :-D actually had 43 injections in the lower back & left hip yesterday, felt great and took off fishing in the arvo & managed half a dozen browns in 25-30 kph winds.. Even feeling good today, heading off again tomorrow for another spin session..
Trout season closes on the 28th April mate, then it's into hibernation 'til the next season that opens on the first Saturday closest to the 1st August..

cheers
Adrian
Last edited by meppstas on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:34 pm

meppstas wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:44 pm
Texas wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:00 pm
Cheers Gra
I am half way through another 4 weeks of injections Gra.. :-D actually had 43 injections in the lower back & left hip yesterday, felt great and took off fishing in the arvo & managed half a dozen browns in 25-30 kph winds.. Even feeling good today, heading off again tomorrow for another spin session..
Trout season closes on the 29th April mate, then it's into hibernation 'til the next season that opens on the first Saturday closest to the 1st August..

cheers
Adrian
Far out man, can't you have an op???
Ice user's don't inject that much.
Is it called Medicare I think
Cheers Gra

Return to “Tasmania”