Eight trout in a one hour session..

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Eight trout in a one hour session..

Post by meppstas » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:13 pm

Eight trout in a one hour session.

Another cool dull overcast day had me scratching my head to where I would go for a spin session and with rain forecast I decided to fish a small tannin stream on private property around 15 kilometres from home. No sooner had I left home there was some light drizzle but no sooner had I arrived it was gone but there was still more to come from what I could see. After a brisk fifteen minutes walk I was in the stream and ready for action, well that was what I was hoping for. The first twenty meters or so were a little quiet with just the one follow from a small brown, a good sign to see a trout here for starters. A little further up I had a couple of soft hits from another small brown before it eventually took the little gold aglia spinner, ten seconds later it tossed the spinner. When I moved into the next stretch of water I flicked the little gold spinner to the top left hand side and retrieved it back in a flat water close to the river bank. Giving the rod a light twitch every so often on the retrieve to make the spinner blade flutter I soon had a brown take it, this one was well and truly hooked. It wasn't a big fish by any means, just a small well conditioned beautifully coloured little wild brown trout. A little further up the river I picked up my second small brown using the same method that sucked in the first fish. With two trout from three takes I was reasonably satisfied because I wasn't expecting too much here today.
Beautiful light tannin trout water. (Medium).JPG
Beautiful light tannin water..
Aglia gold sucked this trout in.  (Medium).JPG
Aglia gold sucked this little brown in..
Narrow water that gave up a brown. (Medium).JPG
Narrow water that gave up a brown,
The next stretch of water was a narrow one, it was here I picked up another brown, this one was a much better fish that went 285 grams. The little #00 Mepps gold aglia was doing it's job well so far and I was hoping it would continue to do so. Not all that long after releasing that brown I picked up trout number four from a small flat water close to the river bank. The flat water I picked that little brown from was one that I reckon the inexperienced trout fisho's would have bypassed. Four trout caught and released in the first half an hour was good and with light drizzle setting in I doubt I would be in the water for too much longer seeing as I only had a long sleeved shirt on.
Best trout on the day.(Medium).JPG
Best fish of the session..
Trout of the day taken here, LHS. flat water.(Medium).JPG
Best fish of the session taken here, LHS close to small log in river.
Great day to be in a small tannin stream. (Medium).JPG
Great day to be in a small tannin stream..
I still wanted to catch a few more before I got too damp so I hurried on and bypassed a couple of shallow runs until I reached some deeper stretches of water. In three of the five deep stretches or water fished I did catch and release another four browns from five takes. After catching trout number eight which was also the best fish of the day by ten grams I called it a day. Every trout hooked today was in the flat water areas close to the river banks that had a bubble line (a great trout food line) running next to it. The wind had started to pick up and it was getting quite cold, even more so with the light drizzle that had set in. So with eight trout landed from ten hook ups over an hour was in my books a fairly good spin session.
Equipment used: Okuma Celilo ULS 6' 1-3kg trout rod, Okuma Helios SX20 spinning reel, Mepps lures & Platypus Super 100 mono lines.
Trout number eight caught here. (Medium).JPG
Trout number 8 caught here..
Brown trout being released. (Medium).JPG
The release of one of eight caught..
A well used #00 Aglia gold inline spinner..JPG
One very well used Mepps #00 Aglia gold spinner..
YouTube video of the spin session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id21743Btdw&t=37s

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Eight trout in a one hour session..

Post by smile0784 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:52 pm

Great session mate and another great report

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Really nice report and great pics as always Adrian.
Looks like the gold Agilia spinner served you well mate.
Can’t complain with 8 trout in an hour :) nice session!
Looking forward to reading your next report.
Cheers :thumbsup:

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:45 pm

Thanks guys, I'm sticking to the smaller streams for now due to the larger ones running a little high and not all that many fish being caught in them..
Besides, I do love fishing the little tannin streams.. I find them a little more challenging than the bigger rivers & they're not over fished either.
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:26 pm

Well done Adrian,
That stream looks grouse, I'd definately give it a go myself (in warmer weather)
How's the body holding up???. The more fish, the less pain.
Cheers Gra

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:29 pm

meppstas wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:13 pm

Eight trout in a one hour session.

Another cool dull overcast day had me scratching my head to where I would go for a spin session and with rain forecast I decided to fish a small tannin stream on private property around 15 kilometres from home.

Giving the rod a light twitch every so often on the retrieve to make the spinner blade flutter I soon had a brown take it, this one was well and truly hooked. It wasn't a big fish by any means, just a small well conditioned beautifully coloured little wild brown trout.

The wind had started to pick up and it was getting quite cold, even more so with the light drizzle that had set in. So with eight trout landed from ten hook ups over an hour was in my books a fairly good spin session.

cheers
Adrian
meppstas wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:45 pm

I do love fishing the little tannin streams.. I find them a little more challenging than the bigger rivers & they're not over fished either.

cheers
Adrian

Adrian, this is my most favourite report you have posted to date.

It has that "off the beaten track" feel about it, which I just love about fishing and not following the crowds. It had a sense of adventure, the challenge, the smaller little Creeks that are the romance of the country side and it showcases the true art-form of your craft. Absolutely a pleasure to read and having that feeling of being part of it with you. Plus who doesn't like a little twitch and a flutter.

A morning that most would have done and most wouldn't have achieved what you had, so well done on all accounts :thumbsup:

A true Trout Stalker adventure

Cheers, Bill

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:59 pm

Thanks Bill, glad you enjoyed the read as much as I enjoy sharing my trout fishing adventures.. " Off the beaten track " is what I love about fishing these little out of the way streams that others don't attempt to fish because it's to hard to access a lot of them which is all the better for me.. ;-)
I had another trip yesterday small tannin stream, another report I'm sure you'll enjoy.. that report I will put on the site in a few days..

Gra, the body is fine at this early stage of the season mainly because of the weather I haven't been pushing myself to hard..
Once the weather improves and the water temps rise and I go more often then I'll more than likely be seeing the ol' doctor for a few injections from time to time I reckon.. that's usually how my season goes.. each season it gets a little tougher fishing the rivers.. :(

cheers
Adrian

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:16 pm

Another good report Adrian. How was the water? Still freezing cold?
Did you use the smaller size aglia because they tend to hit smaller lures this time of year ( because its still very cold)? Or because of the size of the stream? As in, use bigger for bigger river.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:14 pm

I always use the small #00 (1.5 gram) spinners in this little stream mainly because of the size of it & shallow runs..
I could go up to a #0 (2.5 grams) when I come across the deeper runs I suppose Seb but when I'm catching them on the small spinners I usually stay with them. Some of my biggest trout that I caught in the Mersey, Leven & Meander Rivers have been taken on the small #00 spinners. The biggest one being a 5-1/2 lb brown trout in the Mersey River. That was taken on a small Black Fury (black blade) spinner. When fishing the small tannin waters it doesn't pay to fish too heavy as the slightest sound in them will send them packing.. The larger rivers, well they're a lot wider & deeper so I go from the #00 up to the #1 spinners in them.. Yesterday when I fished another stream I did use a #0 (2.5 gram) spinner because there was a good flow of water in it..
Some of the Mepps spinners in the colour/pattern I like aren't made in the small #00 size and that's also another reason I'll use the next size up in a small stream.
aglia_rainbow_0.jpg
This is a size #0 that I used yesterday in a small stream, doesn't come any smaller that this..
aglia_rainbow_0.jpg (14.58 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
cheers
Adrian

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:42 am

Makes sense Adrian, thanks.
Good luck catching more this season! :a_goodjob:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Tasmania”