Re: Small fish BIG smile

Post by Bugatti » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:23 am

Close up. The hook is worn, so it does show it works
IMG_20190131_003022.jpg

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:01 pm

Great article Mr B, the smile says it all doesn't it.. always good to look back on old memories that's for sure.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:57 pm

meppstas wrote:Great article Mr B, the smile says it all doesn't it.. always good to look back on old memories that's for sure.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian

Thanks Adrian, yes those smiles and memories are what makes it all worth while and special.

Cheers, Bill

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:48 pm

Brownie wrote:
Absolutely, it was ridiculously funny. You gotta do stuff like that now and then mate given the opportunity. I once fished for mackerel in Qld with an outfit you'd fish for whiting, damn, that reel squealed on the runs. The reel was a rear drag Tica with a plastic spool. The drag ratchet packed it in but the rest stood up unbelievably. People watching, was on the rocks, first up laughed at me and asked me what I was trying to catch. But for some reason the lures I had, some silver outback minnows from big w :-D
, mate those qld Mack's will hit a spoon tied to a line so why guys spend 20 to 40 bucks on lures they bite off has me beat, anyway the Big W's, $3.50 each, were fish candy to them and every second cast was a hook up and a screaming little Tica on Banax Bullfrog rod.
Kept the reel as a reminder of that session. Even caught sharks up to 60 lb on it. Couldn't kill the damn thing. I swear, its all true too.
Here's that Tica & Bullfrog rod. Tough little rod too. I use that Tica now to wind my line on my other reels. Put my line on it then wind it on the others under the Ticas drag pressure. :thumbsup: It's drag washers were so good they are in another reel and its went in to it.
Hey Brownie dude, look what I got, cheap rear drag reels. Cheap in price ($15) AND woeful cheap quality. We don't have Queensland style Mackerel here, or pelagics, and it's a bit out of the full Snapper Season to get a Hot Bite. But I'm sure a mate and I can find something big to test the reels on :r :snap:

This is the 2000
IMG_20190202_110646.jpg

These are what I got, the 4000s. I kind of regret it now, should have got the 2000s
IMG_20190202_110958.jpg

Cheers, Bugatti

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:55 am

Bugatti wrote:
Brownie wrote:
Absolutely, it was ridiculously funny. You gotta do stuff like that now and then mate given the opportunity. I once fished for mackerel in Qld with an outfit you'd fish for whiting, damn, that reel squealed on the runs. The reel was a rear drag Tica with a plastic spool. The drag ratchet packed it in but the rest stood up unbelievably. People watching, was on the rocks, first up laughed at me and asked me what I was trying to catch. But for some reason the lures I had, some silver outback minnows from big w :-D
, mate those qld Mack's will hit a spoon tied to a line so why guys spend 20 to 40 bucks on lures they bite off has me beat, anyway the Big W's, $3.50 each, were fish candy to them and every second cast was a hook up and a screaming little Tica on Banax Bullfrog rod.
Kept the reel as a reminder of that session. Even caught sharks up to 60 lb on it. Couldn't kill the damn thing. I swear, its all true too.
Here's that Tica & Bullfrog rod. Tough little rod too. I use that Tica now to wind my line on my other reels. Put my line on it then wind it on the others under the Ticas drag pressure. :thumbsup: It's drag washers were so good they are in another reel and its went in to it.
Hey Brownie dude, look what I got, cheap rear drag reels. Cheap in price ($15) AND woeful cheap quality. We don't have Queensland style Mackerel here, or pelagics, and it's a bit out of the full Snapper Season to get a Hot Bite. But I'm sure a mate and I can find something big to test the reels on :r :snap:

This is the 2000
The attachment IMG_20190202_110646.jpg is no longer available

These are what I got, the 4000s. I kind of regret it now, should have got the 2000s

Cheers, Bugatti
Hi mate, found a pic of that setup and a Shovelnose I got using it fishing for whiting one day. Loved those shovely's, awesome eating. Tough fighters too, lots of long sustained runs.
SHOVELY 1.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:31 am

Interesting mate! Never knew those things were great eating.

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:57 pm

Lightningx wrote:Interesting mate! Never knew those things were great eating.
Yeah mate, I won the hearts of my neighbors in Qld giving them fillets of those. Was never knocked back. Some who had never had them after they'd tried it and I'd ask again their eyes would light up with a big "yes please!". Makes sense, they feed on crabs, prawns, shell fish among other things. You are what you eat they say.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:16 pm

Brownie wrote:
Yeah mate, I won the hearts of my neighbors in Qld giving them fillets of those. Was never knocked back. Some who had never had them after they'd tried it and I'd ask again their eyes would light up with a big "yes please!". Makes sense, they feed on crabs, prawns, shell fish among other things. You are what you eat they say.
Mate I never honestly knew but don’t catch them that often. The last one I caught was quite sometime ago.
Will definitely be taking it home for a feed next time!
Cheers :thumbsup:

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:45 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Brownie wrote:
Mate I never honestly knew but don’t catch them that often. The last one I caught was quite sometime ago.
Will definitely be taking it home for a feed next time!
Cheers :thumbsup:
Definitely try one mate. I do also believe that fish taste better or worse from two things, geographically, and available food source. I lived in Yeppoon, and the waters were mostly clean and pristine. Few tidal inlets and small creeks that were dictated to by the tides and the beaches. Yeppoon was the closest that the Great Barrier Reef came to land also. So we had access to crazy amounts of fish shore/rock fishing. Those shovels were a delicacy there. But like anywhere mate, lived and fished in a lot of places, environment dictates a lot. I love trout, but have had some seriously rubbish trout that tasted off because of where they lived and what they fed on. Same with Redfin. I reckon a big Reddie is hard to beat eating wise freshwater. But I've caught them in crap water and yep, they tasted crap. That's why after having lived and fished, and no I'm no gun fisho by any means just an average observer, in a number of places that I understand some from one place saying a fish is crap eating and yet in another they say its the ants pants/awesome. But absolutely try one mate, you may be surprised.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:42 pm

Brownie wrote: I do also believe that fish taste better or worse from two things, geographically, and available food source.

But absolutely try one mate, you may be surprised.
Brownie, how do they compare to Gummie, they look like the tail section at least are similar (but yes stumpier)?

And yes, you are what you eat and also where you lay.

Return to “South Australia”