Cheeky Bream on Cranky Crabs

South Australia Fishing Reports
Bugatti

Re: Cheeky Bream on Cranky Crabs

Post by Bugatti » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:16 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:39 pm
Nice mate! I notice you pin your cranky crab on the hook how I do my spider crab... but I was watching Timmy turtle and he and briggsy cut the crab in half and bury the hook with the barb hidden in a leg of the crab... they reckon it increases hook ups and bream love it... how though? Can anyone shed some light?
Yeah Kimster, that's the way I have always baited up those little crabs. But when going for Snapper and I have a blue Crab or two to use as bait on a cast far rod, I do crack them in half. But I trim the legs and big claws off and put the hook through a leg knuckle, with the point of the hook well exposed. If you don't trim the legs and claw off, the Bait propellers and doesn't sit right.

Cheers, Buggaboo

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:52 am

Nice work mate. I've always wanted to try using live crabs on the nong here in melb or the yarra but they are a bit hard to get.. might put in the work one of these days.

Anth

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:42 am

Great report and pics bug!
Enjoyed the read mate.
Made me feel like I was right there with you :P
Cheers :thumbsup:

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:34 am

It's great to see you've enjoyed a nice fishing session even if it was just little guys. I used to love using crabs for bait till I found out we are not alowed to take them from the tidal zones. I'm not sure if this rule only applies to Victoria and not S.A, might be worth checking out before anyone collect them otherwise they're dynamite bait for the blue nose you could pull out of any estuary. However I've seen small green soldiercrabs being sold at asian fish markets live, this could be great bait too and at $15 a kg that's value if they do work and save a fine from fisheries. Cheers mate :cheers:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:07 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:52 am
Nice work mate. I've always wanted to try using live crabs on the nong here in melb or the yarra but they are a bit hard to get.. might put in the work one of these days.

Anth
Thanks Anth

Yes, those little crabs are gun bait, that's why those Cranka Crab lures must work so well. They are a little bit of effort but they do out do other baits AND was hoping that the bigger Bream might be enticed , , , , just couldn't get past the small pickers.

Lightningx wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:42 am
Great report and pics bug!
Enjoyed the read mate.
Made me feel like I was right there with you
Cheers :thumbsup:
Thanks LX

I wish you were here too , , , , to bait my hooks :-D But it is a nice place to spend some time and only 5-10 minute drive. And bringing an extra coupla rods for you would be my pleasure :-D

LightningX.PNG
LightningX.PNG (65.68 KiB) Viewed 4126 times

Kenle wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:34 am
It's great to see you've enjoyed a nice fishing session even if it was just little guys. I used to love using crabs for bait till I found out we are not alowed to take them from the tidal zones. I'm not sure if this rule only applies to Victoria and not S.A, might be worth checking out before anyone collect them otherwise they're dynamite bait for the blue nose you could pull out of any estuary. However I've seen small green soldiercrabs being sold at asian fish markets live, this could be great bait too and at $15 a kg that's value if they do work and save a fine from fisheries. Cheers mate :cheers:

Thanks Special K

Anytime fishing is always enjoyable, I agree, even with the little guys (or girls , , , , not sure how to tell with Bream ;-) )

On the "Tidal Zones" , , , , here in SA there are many aquatic reserves and restricted/closed areas , , , , and for many a diverse reason. But the "Tidal Zone" areas are open (notwithstanding above closure, restricted areas). What are definitely NO TAKE zones, are specifically "Inter-tidal Reefs" which aren't and don't include mangroves. They are specific Reefs, Rocky areas etc. That photo of where I got the little Crabs is a Mangrove with different restrictions, but the taking of Crabs, worms shrimp etc is allowed. And those Rocks that are there are from the Ballast of the base of a Bridge and not a rocky reef.

But give it time, they probably have it on their radar , , , , many tramps through with disregard and damage the Mangroves.

Cheers, Bug

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:47 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:07 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:52 am

Anth
Thanks Anth

Yes, those little crabs are gun bait, that's why those Cranka Crab lures must work so well. They are a little bit of effort but they do out do other baits AND was hoping that the bigger Bream might be enticed , , , , just couldn't get past the small pickers.

Cheers, Bug
I bet they are. I also bet that it doesn't hurt as much when you lose a few..

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:08 pm

Gave it a good try mate
Doing better then most of us sitting at home or working

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:04 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:08 pm
Gave it a good try mate
Doing better then most of us sitting at home or working
Thanks mate. I've been doing a lot of both , , , , the working and the sitting at home , , , , so, yeah, thought just to get out. Making the time was hard BUT I did appreciate the outing and surprisingly it does charge the batteries up on this Ol' Chassis.

Cheers, Bugatti

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:55 am

Thank you Mr. Buggaboo for exposing the secret of the cranky crabs .. not sure if the crabs are cranky or me cranky :)

It is certainly a dynamite of a bream bait but slow .. plenty of patience needed but the reward can be massive.

Now that the secret is out , all rocks around the Melbourne estuary will be turned 100 times over .. the crabs under those rocks will definitely be cranky :) .. look like Grey street is the only place where there's any chance of catching a crab left.

(PS - it's a rehash joke about crab and Melbourne but just can't resist)

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Return to “South Australia”