Robe to Salt Creek

South Australia Fishing Reports
Bugatti

Re: Robe to Salt Creek

Post by Bugatti » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:30 am

We take 28 mile crossing most often, well Don does, I've been up a dozen or so times. There is a crossing near/close to Salt Creek, which is closer to us coming from Adelaide BUT Don has been caught up there a few times and drives the extra to get to 28 mile (which would be closer to you coming from Vic.

Not sure about Long Beach but yes Long Bay is Victor Harbour to Cape Jaffa.

As far as vehicles, I know Don makes mention of the track/beach conditions and rings the Salt Creek Roadhouse for info before a trip, to find out about how soft or slushy the sand is. Don isn't overly concerned in life in general but takes 4x4 seriously and that area is one of the few times I see him serious/concerned. He has been caught out in the past, luckily not with me as lessons learnt by then. So as far as your ute, when the conditions are good, you may risk it. But when they are bad Don doesn't even in his Paj (or takes it very tentative)

Have you contemplated the Murray Mouth. It has reasonable Mullie fishing. Not as consistant or as large as Salt Creek though and fewer & smaller Sambos. AND adds a 100 or so kms to your trip too. But more a-tune to your ute

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:40 am

Bugatti wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:30 am
We take 28 mile crossing most often, well Don does, I've been up a dozen or so times. There is a crossing near/close to Salt Creek, which is closer to us coming from Adelaide BUT Don has been caught up there a few times and drives the extra to get to 28 mile (which would be closer to you coming from Vic.

Not sure about Long Beach but yes Long Bay is Victor Harbour to Cape Jaffa.

As far as vehicles, I know Don makes mention of the track/beach conditions and rings the Salt Creek Roadhouse for info before a trip, to find out about how soft or slushy the sand is. Don isn't overly concerned in life in general but takes 4x4 seriously and that area is one of the few times I see him serious/concerned. He has been caught out in the past, luckily not with me as lessons learnt by then. So as far as your ute, when the conditions are good, you may risk it. But when they are bad Don doesn't even in his Paj (or takes it very tentative)

Have you contemplated the Murray Mouth. It has reasonable Mullie fishing. Not as consistant or as large as Salt Creek though and fewer & smaller Sambos. AND adds a 100 or so kms to your trip too. But more a-tune to your ute
Sounds like it might be a good idea to make a phone call to the salt creek roadhouse. I will look at 28 mile at the very least and suss it out.

I think Salt Creek is far enough West... won't really want to drive any further than that... it's already 9 hours from where I am in Vic. So not going to bother with the Murray river. Where abouts is the Glenelg river though? I hear decent amounts of school Jews are caught there?

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:50 am

Good idea. We do Goolwa/Murray Mouth as a quick fix, only because it is closer but haven't done great things there.

28 mile is your best bet, Don always seems more at ease with it. There are other crossings that others may use or prefer (personal pref). To cruise along the beach to find gutters is your bigger concern. Depending on the conditions, depends how far you can venture.

The Salt Creek Roadhouse (or what ever they call it now, we haven't been in a few years) is your best bet, they are on the "generous" side of judging, so add a bit of conservatism to be sure

You have spurred my memory and more questions I shall ask The Don

Cheers, Bugs

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:55 am

Bugatti wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:50 am
Good idea. We do Goolwa/Murray Mouth as a quick fix, only because it is closer but haven't done great things there.

28 mile is your best bet, Don always seems more at ease with it. There are other crossings that others may use or prefer (personal pref). To cruise along the beach to find gutters is your bigger concern. Depending on the conditions, depends how far you can venture.

The Salt Creek Roadhouse (or what ever they call it now, we haven't been in a few years) is your best bet, they are on the "generous" side of judging, so add a bit of conservatism to be sure

You have spurred my memory and more questions I shall ask The Don

Cheers, Bugs
Thanks for everything mate

I'm still on team lambo though :tu:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:56 am

Glenelg River, I've heard of it, not sure where it is.

Do you mean Inman River? That's at Victor Harbour. Was great for Bream, still is at some times ,,,, and I have heard they get some Saopies/Schoolies there at times, but not anything to drive from Victoria for

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:08 am

Bugatti wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:56 am
Glenelg River, I've heard of it, not sure where it is.

Do you mean Inman River? That's at Victor Harbour. Was great for Bream, still is at some times ,,,, and I have heard they get some Saopies/Schoolies there at times, but not anything to drive from Victoria for
🤷‍♂️

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:31 am

Mr Kim,
The glenelg is Nelson and nowhere near where you are going.
Long beach is Robe and it is the most user friendly beach driving you will ever do.
I was there last Nov and was plagued by eagle rays off the beach..but also got jews. Either way it was great seeing the rods buckling over and string being pulled. Start your trek here and if you get more adventurous hit the back beach, but as I said grab the recovery guys phone number in case you get snagged. I'll be there at Xmas hopefully buckling a couple of rods

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:02 am

Abzz did a trip there a couple of years ago, he'd be the right person to ask.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Post by Fishbref » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Evans Cave Beach is a handy, productive spot in Robe; got there in an old AWD Corolla so you shouldn't have too much trouble accessing.

Also, Beachport Jetty is worth a shot for cracker whiting and gurnard, if nothing else; both typically damn good size...

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:49 pm

I remember years ago walking along the beach port jetty and seeing the biggest whiting I have ever seen!

Return to “South Australia”