Robe to Salt Creek

South Australia Fishing Reports
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Robe to Salt Creek

Post by Kimtown » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:26 am

Doing a trip there over cup weekend.

Has anyone been there before and can give me some info? Mostly wanting to know how easy it is to access the beach by car? I have a dual cab ute with road tyres on it, will I get this there easily enough, possibly with towing a 7x5 trailer?

azkay

Re: Robe to Salt Creek

Post by azkay » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:34 am

I'll begin by saying by no means am I an expert in the area. I haven't been for a couple of years but we have a group that goes there annually;
Long Beach: Yes - regularly see normal cars there.
Salt Creek: No - I believe most of the good fishing is up towards Ti Tree Crossing but have seen and heard of it being quiet sketchy in certain areas, probably wouldn't recommend road tyres and a trailer on the back..
Az.

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:49 am

I go to Robe quite often and as Az said Long beach is not a problem. In saying that the third ramp is quite soft so be weary around this area.
Tyre pressure is the key and you will be surprised to know that road tyres are ok for the sand as they do not have an aggressive tread. They push the sand away rather than dig in to it. I have never gone to Salt creek but do know it is a very difficult,soft area so maybe stick to Robe (even the robe back beach is rather tricky and can be very soft) Go and fill up at the petrol station across from the supermarket, its also a fishing shop so you can kill two birds with one stone. Ask for the guys number who will come and rescue you in case you get bogged, I think he is the mechanic there. Its always good to be prepared, take a shovel and also recovery tracks. P.S.. I have caught mulloway on Long beach through the day in November, good luck

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Thanks legends! Great info!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:49 pm

I am keen to see how you go me and tuna tube are planning a trip late jan early feb

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:02 pm

Bump

2 weeks until I leave

Just went and bought a couple kershaw fillet knives today, a 7.5 and a 9 inchy, a small Shimano tackle bag for the surf rather than lugging around my big Plano tackle box, a heap of tackle, a few new UV protecting shirts (without the logos plastered all over them), a new lantern, camp oven and a bunch of other stuff to assist me catching donuts haha

Getting excited!

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:40 pm

Hey Kimmy, thanks for bumping, never noticed this thread before.

To retro fit my post.

A definite no to Salt Creek as far as your vehicle, especially if you are towing a trailer to help you bog you ute.

And a good air compressor for your tyres, because any beach, you'd want to let down your tyres.

Which also brings to light, it would be prudent (if you haven't already) organised some form of recovery system, in the unlikely event of getting bogged.

Robe, I have no idea. But Salt Creek, shame, because mate Don loves it there. He's caught some nice Mullies and some stonka Sambos. I've done some decent Sambos there but had to be an envious audience when Don's pulled in some awesome Mullies, while my rod makes me the fool.

Sounds like a great trip. Wish you well

Cheers, Bugs

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:42 am

Bugatti wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:40 pm
Hey Kimmy, thanks for bumping, never noticed this thread before.

To retro fit my post.

A definite no to Salt Creek as far as your vehicle, especially if you are towing a trailer to help you bog you ute.

And a good air compressor for your tyres, because any beach, you'd want to let down your tyres.

Which also brings to light, it would be prudent (if you haven't already) organised some form of recovery system, in the unlikely event of getting bogged.

Robe, I have no idea. But Salt Creek, shame, because mate Don loves it there. He's caught some nice Mullies and some stonka Sambos. I've done some decent Sambos there but had to be an envious audience when Don's pulled in some awesome Mullies, while my rod makes me the fool.

Sounds like a great trip. Wish you well

Cheers, Bugs
I was hoping you'd chime in!

Damn, where would be the next closest place to salt creek I could access with my ute? Keep in mind the trailer will not be making this trip now.

We have track mats, snatch strap, car jacks and shovels :rf: that's about the extent of our recovery gear unfortunately. Maybe a bloke coming with us has a winch but not too sure the advantage of having a winch on a beach is? Do have an air compressor though.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:53 am

Kimtown wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:42 am
Bugatti wrote:

Cheers, Bugs

Damn, where would be the next closest place to salt creek I could access with my ute? Keep in mind the trailer will not be making this trip now.

We have track mats, snatch strap, car jacks and shovels :rf: that's about the extent of our recovery gear unfortunately. Maybe a bloke coming with us has a winch but not too sure the advantage of having a winch on a beach is?
I give Don free reign when we head that part of the world, he's the Guru Shwanni for Salt Creek. I'm catching up with Don on Monday, so I shall pick his brain , , , , before I load him up with Jacks , , , , and get back to you

On the recovery equipment, track mates and a snatch strap is all we take, Don's Paj doesn't have a whinch. As per the Shovel, I'd say that's a given, at the very least for Dunny Duties :-D

Cheers, Bug Shwanni apprentice

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:05 am

Bugatti wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:53 am
Kimtown wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:42 am
Bugatti wrote:

Cheers, Bugs

We have track mats, snatch strap, car jacks and shovels :rf: that's about the extent of our recovery gear unfortunately. Maybe a bloke coming with us has a winch but not too sure the advantage of having a winch on a beach is?
I give Don free reign when we head that part of the world, he's the Guru Shwanni for Salt Creek. I'm catching up with Don on Monday, so I shall pick his brain , , , , before I load him up with Jacks , , , , and get back to you

On the recovery equipment, track mates and a snatch strap is all we take, Don's Paj doesn't have a whinch. As per the Shovel, I'd say that's a given, at the very least for Dunny Duties :-D

Cheers, Bug Shwanni apprentice
Sweet! appreciate it buggaboo. Hopefully old Mac Donald has some positive advice for me!

Also I think I may have been confusing Long Beach and Long Bay this whole time. Long Bay is the Bay from Cape Jaffa to Victor Harbour, which includes Salt Creek around half way along, where as Long Beach is the small (12ish km) stretch of beach between Robe and Boatswain point (Guichin Bay), do I have this right?

Where might "Ti Tree Crossing" that azkay mentioned, lay within this area?

Return to “South Australia”