Hamilton island fishing / charters

Queensland Fishing Reports
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Hamilton island fishing / charters

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:47 am

Will be up there early april next year for a week. Beauty! Fishing mecca... can anyone recommend a renowned charter company up there worth doing a day trip with? or has anyone else just hired a boat / kayak and found the fish themselves?

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Re: Hamilton island fishing / charters

Post by GusG » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:42 am

I went out on a charter one. The wind could have blown a dog off the chain that day so we just stayed around the lee side of the islands and did some bottom bashing. Not very good at all but it was still ok to get out on the water. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the operator though (not very useful I know).

There is meant to be good fishing around the marina and a few other spots. I did some googling before i went and found a few places but I didnt get to fish much that getaway

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:14 pm

I didn’t do a charter but went to daydream island a few years ago. I fished off a small jetty at night I used tiny bits of bait (line straight to hook, no sinker) to catch garfish hanging around he light then sent them out to tempt bigger fish. Hooked a cod of some sort but got busted off on 15lb and 4000 reel and another bloke got smoked on a bigger outfit. Could see the GTs and giant barracuda patrolling the area but no lures could tempt them. Was great fun - much more action than our cold water piers down here

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:15 am

Thanks for the responses boys, kind of forgot about this thread

Got a few options to choose from; 0debating whether I hire a boat/dinghy/kayak/ski from the marina and do my own thing, book a fishing charter for a day or 2 or take a few extra weeks off work, drive up there with the Jet ski and camp along the way at certain locations, like wonboyn, Wollongong, gold coast, sunshine coast etc etc and then just park my car up at Airlie for 5 days and ski over to where the wedding is at, on Hamilton Island so I have my ski over there to do whatever I want (assuming a marina will let me park it there)

The last option is obviously super appealing, but it's a lot of driving and not sure about the logistics of it, like mooring in the marina.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:26 am

Tim399 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:14 pm
I didn’t do a charter but went to daydream island a few years ago. I fished off a small jetty at night I used tiny bits of bait (line straight to hook, no sinker) to catch garfish hanging around he light then sent them out to tempt bigger fish. Hooked a cod of some sort but got busted off on 15lb and 4000 reel and another bloke got smoked on a bigger outfit. Could see the GTs and giant barracuda patrolling the area but no lures could tempt them. Was great fun - much more action than our cold water piers down here
Dam that would have been very exciting just seeing fish like GT’s and giant cuda cruising around in that area!!!

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:11 pm

If anyone were to do a trip up to Airlie Beach over the course or a month. Where would YOU camp/stay along the way for a few nights each?

Forster-Tuncurry would be an absolute definite for me. I reckon Wonboyn, Woolongong, Hervey Bay and Gladstone would be up there for sure too.. Fraser would be unreal too but probably a bit difficult to launch and retrieve a ski there or pull up on the beach with the ski and camp

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:24 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:26 am
Tim399 wrote:
Dam that would have been very exciting just seeing fish like GT’s and giant cuda cruising around in that area!!!
Seeing the GTs swim straight passed my lures still got the blood pumping, even though I knew I couldn’t land one. Just as exciting was having a huge GT swim along side me when we were snorkelling :super:

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:29 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:24 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Tim399 wrote:
Seeing the GTs swim straight passed my lures still got the blood pumping, even though I knew I couldn’t land one. Just as exciting was having a huge GT swim along side me when we were snorkelling :super:
A GT swam past me snorkeling in Fiji 9 months ago, only in about a meter of water. Tried to catch but the ****** was quick af

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:51 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:24 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Tim399 wrote:
Wow mate! What an experience!!! Something you won’t be forgetting anytime soon I’m sure :P

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:03 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:15 am
Thanks for the responses boys, kind of forgot about this thread

Got a few options to choose from; 0debating whether I hire a boat/dinghy/kayak/ski from the marina and do my own thing, book a fishing charter for a day or 2 or take a few extra weeks off work, drive up there with the Jet ski and camp along the way at certain locations, like wonboyn, Wollongong, gold coast, sunshine coast etc etc and then just park my car up at Airlie for 5 days and ski over to where the wedding is at, on Hamilton Island so I have my ski over there to do whatever I want (assuming a marina will let me park it there)

The last option is obviously super appealing, but it's a lot of driving and not sure about the logistics of it, like mooring in the marina.
take the time off work and camp means more fishing also hit caloundra for the sunny coast stop theres a few parks and that about plus if you hit at the right times you can get squid fairly easy

Return to “Queensland”