Bunch of randoms

Queensland Fishing Reports
lukesfishinmission

Bunch of randoms

Post by lukesfishinmission » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:35 pm

Yep, unfortunately this last week has yielded a bunch of fish that were either 1) undesirable species or 2) absolutely tiny. Not that it matters really. Simply being out there amongst it all is reward enough and as they say “a bad days fishing is better than the best day at work” – well truer words were never spoken.

I have been fishing 4 times in the last week which has resulted in 2 doughnuts, a descent bream, an undersized barra, grunter and a whiting that looked like it just hatched. Not literally. But seriously this thing was flat out being as long as the 3 inch prong that I caught him on. He was foul hooked though so does that even count?

My apologies to those who have seen the turtle photos already but I just came across them again now and though they would be worthy to share with the rest of my readers. I was fishing a couple of months ago and could see sand being flicked up in the air. I went over to take a look and was greeted by this massive turtle. I am not sure of the exact species but this thing was absolutely huge and would have weighed at least 150kg. It was such a special site to see and will be something I will remember for quite a long time.

For the rest of the report and additional images, visit http://www.lukesfishinmission.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
rt.jpg
rt.jpg (128.37 KiB) Viewed 596 times
awd.jpg
awd.jpg (186.1 KiB) Viewed 596 times
155.jpg
155.jpg (278.15 KiB) Viewed 596 times
131.jpg
131.jpg (124.07 KiB) Viewed 596 times
15.jpg
15.jpg (186.75 KiB) Viewed 596 times
Visit my blog! www.lukesfishinmission.com

Like my page on Facebook! http://www.Facebook.com/LukesFishinMission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rod Bender

Re: Bunch of randoms

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Your bad days sure beat my good days!!!! :-D
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

lukesfishinmission

Post by lukesfishinmission » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:20 pm

Thanks guys, It wasnt that flash Jim. Turtle was awesome but

Like my page on Facebook! http://www.Facebook.com/LukesFishinMission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SFP Chick

Post by SFP Chick » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:58 pm

Hey Like,

The turtles that lay their eggs at "mon repos" beach near bundaberg are loggerheads. I remember them, they are massive, yep easy go 100kg+.

Yours may have been one of those.

The above is the largest rookery, but not the only one. Was your turtle laying eggs? O maybe going to or from the soft sand (where they lay)?

Very exciting !!!! Beautiful pics

:grin: Amanda

lukesfishinmission

Post by lukesfishinmission » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:36 pm

Hey Amanda,
Thanks for the comments about the pics mate.

I spent a little bit of time this evening trying to find out exactly what species it was and am 99% sure its a large female Flatback turtle. The shell is the tell-tale factor i think.

Yeh Mon Repos is pretty awesome hey and yeh pretty sure those ones are loggerheads. Been lucky enough to see them nest there a few times as I grew up in Bundaberg and then use to work at Lady Musgrave Island for 1.5yrs where they would nest also.

Pretty sure this big girl just finished laying and covering her eggs and was returning to the water when I saw her. i hung around to make sure she made it safely to the water. Hopefully the eggs hatched out ok. A lot of people drive their 4WD's out near there

Return to “Queensland”