FNQ Trip Report, 18.07.2013 - 23.07.2013

Queensland Fishing Reports
Plas-Flicker

FNQ Trip Report, 18.07.2013 - 23.07.2013

Post by Plas-Flicker » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:26 am

Hi All, thought it was about time I posted a report for the Lakefiled NP camping trip & Cairns reef trip I did in late July.
Headed up to Cairns on Thurs 18th, red eye flight - had a 4 day camping trip planned to Lakefield National Park with mates from up there - Baker, Mikey and Scotty, then a quick reef trip on 22nd with Tim - brother in law, before back to Melbourne on the 23rd.
Arrived in Cairns about 9:30am, quick stop in to see my folks, sisters, nephew & neice's.
Picked up by Baker at midday to go finish packing the trucks and wait for the other two, finally on the road by 4pm for a 6 hour drive north to Lakefield National Park.
Finally arrived at 10pm, quick set up, put a boat in and set some FW yabbie pots, and then a few nightcaps.
Next morning go out to check the pots and flick a few lures, first snag and Baker hooks up a nice little barra and we are thinking this is a good sign.
I should mention that Mikey booked our site for friday and saturday night, didnt occur to him that it may be taken on the thursday night, so when we got there at ten we had to drive around for another 45 mins to find an empty site, so on friday had to pack up and move to our pre-booked site, and re-set up.
All up it was a pretty tough camping trip, the fish were hard to find and scarce. We did alright by bushwalking and finding landlocked pools, one of the highlight's was seeing a jurrasic sized sat water croc sunning on a bank - at least 18 foot of croc - impressive, we all got onto some barra but they were not big fish mostly in the 40 - 50cm range with a couple in the 60 - 70cm range.
Then on the final day we went a different direction, found another pool, and Baker gets onto a nice 87cm model to end the day and the trip. Beauty.
Cairns 22.07.2013 - Lakefield (Custom).JPG
The ever reliable gold bomber took some of the fish, but the zerek live shrimp was the business, with the majority of the barra being taken on them.
Total count for the 4 days: 25 barra between the 4 of us, Baker - 9, Scotty - 7, Me - 5, Mikey - 4.
The next day, Monday 22.07.2013 - reef trip out of Cairns with Tim.
Plan: be on the spot at first light, find bait schools, berley up, try for some livies and get some baits in the water. When the tide slows down move to a wreck and drop some livies down, and be back at the ramp by 1 - 2pm.
I should mention that Tim and I are predominantly lure and plastic fishers, so we thoght we would try bait out just to see.
So we were on our spot before 6, lots of bait on the sounder, dropped a bait jig down and got a little GT but nothing else, so we floated him out under a baloon, rigged up some pillies on gangs and sent them into the berley trail.
Expectation was high, but the fish were shy...
After about 45 minuted we were starting to question our spot when zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz off went the livey, Tim grabbed it and a dogged fight ensued. We were not sure what this fish was, there was no massive runs, it was holding down deep, had us both guessing.
To our surprise, after maybe 20 mins a beautiful Spanish Mackeral slid into view, and Tims first.
Well, what a fish to christen your new outfit and break your Spanish cherry with - 1.2meters, high five's all round!
Cairns 23.07.2013 - Spanish (Custom).jpg
We sent the lines back out, and I got the live bait jig into action as there was heaps on the sounder and started pulling up some fusiliers and stripeys, meanwhile Tim got bored of waiting and clipped on a stick bait, launched it out the back and literally as soon as it hit the water a quality spanish launched about 9 foot in the air!!! Tim managed another two, with this being the best at 1.05meters:
Cairns 23.07.2013 - Spanish2.1 (Custom).jpg
A hot session proceeded with fish going airbourne at least two out of every three casts, we didnt get too many of them, I think they were smashing the lure so hard they were not connecting? TBH I didnt hook any, had heaps of follows, and one that jumped over the lure and bit through the leader about a meter in front of it, that was our only stickbait so we had to pull the anchor to retrieve the lure, by then the tide had turned and the fish went off the bite. We did have a good stock of livies so the call was made to head to the wreck and drop some livies down - a first for both of us.
Once we got to the mark I sent the first victim down, and before I could finish the "Wonder if anything is down there" sentence I was slammed, pulled straight into the reef and busted off...
Tim dropped down while I was re-rigging - same result - WOW!!!
Drags were tightened, and another pair of livie's went to their doom - same result again!!! Unstopable and both bricked...
Drags were crancked right up this time, and another two livies went down.
Tim got bitten off on the way down but I connected solid, and after a good tussle, up came my favorite reefy - the mighty coral trout of around 60cm's;
Cairns 23.07.213 CT1.1 (Custom).jpg
Now we knew what had been smashing us.
Another two victims were sent down, same result and I hook up solid - this was a good fish, ripping line of a locked up 50lb spin set up. After a tense scrap I got it off the bottom and I knew it was mine, and minutes later an upgrade sized 75cm trout arrives boatside;
Cairns 23.07.2013 - CT2 (Custom).jpg
By now it was getting late, and we were almost out of bait so we start packing up to head home, Tim pulls his bait into mid water and before he can turn around - Boom - rod buckles over and line peels off.
Final fish of the day - a cracking GT;
Cairns 23.07.2013 - GT (Custom).jpg
What a trip - and an awesome way to break up the winter!!!
(p.s. I realised after uploading the pics that I am one day out with the dates, barra was caught sunday 21.07.2013, and reefies on the 22nd.)
Hope you enjoyed the report, and if you get the opportunity to go North for a fish - take it!
Tight lines = Good Times!

Sarg-79-

Re: FNQ Trip Report, 18.07.2013 - 23.07.2013

Post by Sarg-79- » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:37 am

Awesome report and fish! Livin the dream right there!!

SFP Guy.

Post by SFP Guy. » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:41 am

Great Report, Great Pics!

Thanks for sharing, I'm now jealous as buggery and going back outside to work on my deck!

Love the Spanish!

Cam.

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:46 am

Awesome as mate, I may be just a bit jealous :D
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Nice work mate. Good to see you had fun. .
Cheers

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:40 am

thanks for the read with detail and awesome pics !

at least you guys landed some nice barra.lots don't !!!the old gold bomber still going strong...its a marvel !!

cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:47 am

:rocking_report: mate looks like you had a dream holiday so jealous :a_goodjob:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Plas-Flicker

Post by Plas-Flicker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks guys, was a hell of a trip.

BM - the old gold bomber is just as lethal now as ever!
Tight lines = Good Times!

Return to “Queensland”