Canberra fishing?

ACT Fishing Reports
kabo

Canberra fishing?

Post by kabo » Tue May 13, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi,

first post in the ACT forum...hopefully a good omen. After ten years in Melbourne - and finally discovering the joys of the bay- I'm moving to Canberra in a week. I was just getting my head around flatties, pinkies and salmon and now I have to re-learn for freshwater fish I guess (or drive to Bateman's Bay on a regular basis ;) ). It looks like Lake Burley Griffin is good for carp and redfin and possibly yellow belly (?) and it might be fun to try all this from a kayak. I would be most keen to get into trout, but it sounds like you'd have to get right into the mountains, is that right?

In any case, any ideas/hot tips/other forums for the Canberra region will be greatly appreciated :a_goodjob:

cheers

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Canberra fishing?

Post by DougieK » Tue May 13, 2014 5:36 pm

Guys pull HUGE reddies out of that lake.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue May 13, 2014 6:23 pm

kabo wrote:Hi,

first post in the ACT forum...hopefully a good omen. After ten years in Melbourne - and finally discovering the joys of the bay- I'm moving to Canberra in a week. I was just getting my head around flatties, pinkies and salmon and now I have to re-learn for freshwater fish I guess (or drive to Bateman's Bay on a regular basis ;) ). It looks like Lake Burley Griffin is good for carp and redfin and possibly yellow belly (?) and it might be fun to try all this from a kayak. I would be most keen to get into trout, but it sounds like you'd have to get right into the mountains, is that right?

In any case, any ideas/hot tips/other forums for the Canberra region will be greatly appreciated :a_goodjob:

cheers

There is a book titled I think the Canberra Fisherman by Bryan Pratt. I use to live in Canberra and totally fished fresh.
There are plenty of waterways, plus the odd cod at times. I mostly fished Lake Ecumbene or Jindabyne. Occasionally Tantangara.

There is Googong dam just out of Queanbeyan.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue May 13, 2014 9:13 pm

pretty sure there is some good cod to be had around canberra if you put the hours in
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

kabo

Post by kabo » Tue May 13, 2014 10:25 pm

thanks guys! I'll check that book out, Wolly. I do have the AFN Canberra guide, which seems reasonable, but nothing beats local knowledge! I have been practising putting hours in down here...plenty of hours and lots of donuts :) so that part should be fine, I'm nothing if not determined. Jindabyne & Eucumbene are possibly a touch far for a quick weekday fix, so might have to get into those teddies.

just saw that Bryan Pratt now runs a Compleat Angler in Canberra -sweet! that'll be my first stop then.

Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Wed May 14, 2014 2:13 pm

Hey Kabo, I know Canberra pretty well as my brother lives there. You'll probably find all the info you need when you make the move. North of the city centre is Lake Ginninderra near Belconnen & Yerrabi Pond near Gungahlin. Both waters have cod in them & yellowbellytoo. Well worth a look I reckon.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed May 14, 2014 3:42 pm

kabo wrote:thanks guys! I'll check that book out, Wolly. I do have the AFN Canberra guide, which seems reasonable, but nothing beats local knowledge! I have been practising putting hours in down here...plenty of hours and lots of donuts :) so that part should be fine, I'm nothing if not determined. Jindabyne & Eucumbene are possibly a touch far for a quick weekday fix, so might have to get into those teddies.

just saw that Bryan Pratt now runs a Compleat Angler in Canberra -sweet! that'll be my first stop then.
A little secret is that most of the river is only really accessible by canoe, and there are holes that hold cod.

We use to go to either lake for a day trip. If you are living in Tuggerong, there is a back way (dirt road) through Tharwa, that comes out at Adaminiby. Advisible 4x4 only in winter.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed May 14, 2014 4:57 pm

kabo wrote:thanks guys! I'll check that book out, Wolly. I do have the AFN Canberra guide, which seems reasonable, but nothing beats local knowledge! I have been practising putting hours in down here...plenty of hours and lots of donuts :) so that part should be fine, I'm nothing if not determined. Jindabyne & Eucumbene are possibly a touch far for a quick weekday fix, so might have to get into those teddies.

Bryan Pratt had a store in Belconnen, then he bought the shop in Woden.

There is a bloke called Tiny, he had a store in Queanbeyan. He is a top bloke.

kabo

Post by kabo » Wed May 14, 2014 5:40 pm

Huckleberry wrote:Hey Kabo, I know Canberra pretty well as my brother lives there. You'll probably find all the info you need when you make the move. North of the city centre is Lake Ginninderra near Belconnen & Yerrabi Pond near Gungahlin. Both waters have cod in them & yellowbellytoo. Well worth a look I reckon.
Sounds good, they'll go straight on my list of places to check out! :a_goodjob:

Wolly Bugger wrote:
A little secret is that most of the river is only really accessible by canoe, and there are holes that hold cod.

We use to go to either lake for a day trip. If you are living in Tuggerong, there is a back way (dirt road) through Tharwa, that comes out at Adaminiby. Advisible 4x4 only in winter.
Wolly Bugger wrote:

there appear to be two shops related to him called Angler's Art (http://www.anglersart.com.au/the-angler ... m/about-us), so I'll check them both out.

I'll be living in the inner north (told you I'm 'urban' - as urban as one gets in Canberra anyway :lolf: ), but Tharwa to Adaminiby doesn't look too bad - might be just the excuse to buy that 4x4 I've been hanging out for. And of course I really need freshwater fishing gear, because I couldn't possibly use my saltwater gear...ahem... :toothy9:

and I do like the idea to try out kayak fishing as well. The Murrumbidgee looks accessible at various points (like bridge at Point Hut RD, or Tharwa), that might be worth investigating.

thanks for all the great ideas and options - it's making the move a lot more exciting!

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed May 14, 2014 5:46 pm

kabo wrote:
Huckleberry wrote:Hey Kabo, I know Canberra pretty well as my brother lives there. You'll probably find all the info you need when you make the move. North of the city centre is Lake Ginninderra near Belconnen & Yerrabi Pond near Gungahlin. Both waters have cod in them & yellowbellytoo. Well worth a look I reckon.
Sounds good, they'll go straight on my list of places to check out! :a_goodjob:

Wolly Bugger wrote:

Wolly Bugger wrote:

there appear to be two shop
s related to him called Angler's Art (http://www.anglersart.com.au/the-angler ... m/about-us), so I'll check them both out.

I'll be living in the inner north (told you I'm 'urban' - as urban as one gets in Canberra anyway :lolf: ), but Tharwa to Adaminiby doesn't look too bad - might be just the excuse to buy that 4x4 I've been hanging out for. And of course I really need freshwater fishing gear, because I couldn't possibly use my saltwater gear...ahem... :toothy9:

and I do like the idea to try out kayak fishing as well. The Murrumbidgee looks accessible at various points (like bridge at Point Hut RD, or Tharwa), that might be worth investigating.

thanks for all the great ideas and options - it's making the move a lot more exciting!
Hint; put yellow fog lights on your vehicle. I use to go the back way heaps of times, and only see the occasional roo, but with yellow fogl lights, there are heaps that I didn't see before.

A mate refused to go that way, citing roo's yet he is the one who hit a roo at Bredbo. I would tow the tinnie along the back road.

Return to “ACT”